Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Softail backfiring (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1065901-softail-backfiring.html)

Abigail1 08-16-2015 05:00 PM

Softail backfiring

i have a 2006 Softail deluxe. Drove it to work the other day on the way home it started backfiring sputtering and stalling out. I made it home what's going on? I have 25,000 miles on it.

chief08 08-16-2015 05:02 PM

check fuel pressure

Abigail1 08-16-2015 05:05 PM

Thanks for the tip

HDmikie 08-16-2015 05:40 PM

My 02 EFI Fatboy did same about a year ago. It was the fuel line inside the tank. For some reason little holes appear and air gets sucked in instead of fuel. Have them replace the filter while in there.

Firemed80 10-02-2015 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by HDmikie (Post 14306579)
My 02 EFI Fatboy did same about a year ago. It was the fuel line inside the tank. For some reason little holes appear and air gets sucked in instead of fuel. Have them replace the filter while in there.

Got a question, did you find this out or did you take it in? I'm having a issue with my 02 Springer. She's been hard to start the last couple of weeks and tonight at highway speeds she'd dog out here and there. I was thinking that I had gotten some crappy fuel because of the hard starts. But now with the dogging out I was leaning towards a possible filter issue. Now reading what you had, thinking its along the same lines.

Thanks!

QC 10-02-2015 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Firemed80 (Post 14448884)
Got a question, did you find this out or did you take it in? I'm having a issue with my 02 Springer. She's been hard to start the last couple of weeks and tonight at highway speeds she'd dog out here and there. I was thinking that I had gotten some crappy fuel because of the hard starts. But now with the dogging out I was leaning towards a possible filter issue. Now reading what you had, thinking its along the same lines.

Thanks!

It's a relatively common thing to happen.

HDmikie 10-03-2015 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Firemed80 (Post 14448884)

Thanks!

If your bike is EFI it's very likely the same issue I had. I took my bike to the local Indy shop and had Adam do the fix. He charged me $209 and haven't had a problem since.

Firemed80 10-03-2015 11:56 AM

Thanks for the input. Looks like I got a little Sunday project figured out for me. Ill open it up and take a peak.

oct1949 10-05-2015 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by HDmikie (Post 14306579)

Ditto..... mine had the hole in the gas line at 33K miles 3yrs ago..

Fill up your tank and see if the missing stops. if it does then you have the pin hole somewhere

My bike would go about 90 or so miles before it'd start missing out on a full tank.. fill it up and all was fine for another 90 or so..

Start with the easy stuff first before going into Elec. issues...

Freak Show 10-05-2015 03:18 PM

had that problem with my dyna. I was putting 91 octane in my tank. my buddy who owns a shop told me to run 89. he said because most people don't buy the high octane and because of that it sits in the tanks longer and breaks down. gas only has a two week shelf life with the ethanol. after I switched back the problem went away.