Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control on new softails - what's your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:13 AM
RexD
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cruise Control on new softails - what's your experience?

What is the cruise control like on the new softails?

I am considering a slim s for several reasons. The cruise control is one of them. It would be a great upgrade from the tightening wheel under the throttle that I use today.

Those of you who have tried the cruise control; what is your experience with it?

Thanks
Rex

Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

So far, it's flawless. I use it all the time to stay close to speed limits and avoid traffic tickets.

It's very easy to operate and not overly complicated.

Once active, it keeps speed regulated in1mph increments. Just a touch up or down on the button decreases or increases speed by 1mph. A touch of the clutch or either brake stops the active cruise. A single touch up re-activates at the previous speed.

It's a great feature. If you hold steady speeds for long periods, it's a great upgrade.

Also, as a bonus, the SE110 will cruise as low as 2100RPM without lugging.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:16 AM
RexD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
So far, it's flawless. I use it all the time to stay close to speed limits and avoid traffic tickets.

It's very easy to operate and not overly complicated.

Once active, it keeps speed regulated in1mph increments. Just a touch up or down on the button decreases or increases speed by 1mph. A touch of the clutch or either brake stops the active cruise. A single touch up re-activates at the previous speed.

It's a great feature. If you hold steady speeds for long periods, it's a great upgrade.

Also, as a bonus, the SE110 will cruise as low as 2100RPM without lugging.
Thanks for sharing!

Do you get any additional info on the screen? For example, when you re-activate to previous speed, does it show you what speed it is accelerating up to?

/ Rex

Old 09-13-2015, 08:48 AM
gpp
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure it works like the dressers cruise control.lot of people think cruise is for cars not bikes but they probably still watch bw television. I've waited a long time for cruise on the heratige and it's the only reason I'm going from my 2013 to a 2016.best I remember a light indicates its on but that's all but I haven't seen the softail version yet but I bet it's the same.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:18 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

/\ /\

This is correct. In normal driving mode, the CC is turned off.

To activate CC, push in on the button. A yellow light appears in your gauge bottom right.

To set CC, push down on the button for a new speed setting, or up to resume the previous speed. The yellow light turns green to indicate CC is operating.

Note that if you like the speed, but find you're in the wrong gear, shift gears and push up on the button for resume.

To unset, squeeze the clutch, apply either brake, or turn CC off by pushing in on the button.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:39 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I started using cruise this weekend now that I've got over 500 miles on the Fatboy S. It's very easy to use, there's no control panel just buttons to press and toggle.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control on new softails - what's your experience?-fatboy-sept-2015.jpg  
Old 09-13-2015, 03:18 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SLV
/\ /\

This is correct. In normal driving mode, the CC is turned off.

To activate CC, push in on the button. A yellow light appears in your gauge bottom right.

To set CC, push down on the button for a new speed setting, or up to resume the previous speed. The yellow light turns green to indicate CC is operating.

Note that if you like the speed, but find you're in the wrong gear, shift gears and push up on the button for resume.

To unset, squeeze the clutch, apply either brake, or turn CC off by pushing in on the button.
If it's like the touring bikes you should be able to roll the throttle forward to unset it as well. Usually my preferred choice if no one is behind and going to be running up my *** if I start slowing. If that's the case I'll lightly tap the brake enough just to click it off and flash the lights.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:23 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by blackx-runner
If it's like the touring bikes you should be able to roll the throttle forward to unset it as well. Usually my preferred choice if no one is behind and going to be running up my *** if I start slowing. If that's the case I'll lightly tap the brake enough just to click it off and flash the lights.
I'll try that. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:56 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Not sure I really need this feature but it sounds cool. Anyone know if this can be added aftermarket to earlier year models?

Old 09-13-2015, 07:26 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,138 Likes on 6,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Not sure I really need this feature but it sounds cool. Anyone know if this can be added aftermarket to earlier year models?
It's a function of throttle by wire. If you have a bike with regular cable throttle, it's going to cost more than it is worth.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control on new softails - what's your experience?