Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mods Thread - 2016 Softail Slim S

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 03:15 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Glad it worked out well for you Chuck

Old 08-18-2017, 03:43 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bkmays
Hey wachuko, I am clearly late to this party but I just got my '16 Slim w/ Olive Gold Denim 2 weeks ago. I recently ordered the vented windshield you have on your bike. Did you run any any issues getting it mounted since the FLS/FLSS do not have the auxiliary light kit? Did you do anything to clean up how it was mounted? Thanks!

bkmays
Welcome to the forum!! And congrats on your new Slim S

Detachable Wind Splitter Vented Windshield - Part No. 57400159. Requires the following additional parts to fit without aux lights: HD FLSTF Bracket Kit for 100th Anniv Windshield Part No. 58810-02 and Spacer (2 pieces) Part No. 5885

And post #237 in this thread has what you need. I documented the install with photos...

Here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...l#post14536831

If you still need more photos after that, let me know. Glad to share them.

Last edited by wachuko; 08-18-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:51 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Picked it up after work yesterday. New tank in place. Bike is back in my garage. Life is good.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:51 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Picked it up after work yesterday. New tank in place. Bike is back in my garage. Life is good.
I dont remember the exact circumstances with your oil tank, but
when you were at the dealer, did they give you any indication
about how many tanks they were seeing that have this issue ?
It'd be kind of interesting to know if it were a whole dated 'run'
with the issue or was it just a bad luck fluke for yours...

Thanks,

T.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:12 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Question

Originally Posted by WKNDS
I dont remember the exact circumstances with your oil tank, but
when you were at the dealer, did they give you any indication
about how many tanks they were seeing that have this issue ?
It'd be kind of interesting to know if it were a whole dated 'run'
with the issue or was it just a bad luck fluke for yours...

Thanks,

T.
I did not ask... in my case, and there is a photo of it, the powder coating was peeling at neck of the tank. You had to remove the oil cap to see it.

But I do not know how common of a problem this is...

Old 08-24-2017, 04:16 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Here, photo was a few pages back...

Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Well...looks like I am not going to be able to resist the new Fat Boy.... Slim S will be up for sale or will go as trade in for the new bike.... darn it!!!

The following users liked this post:
Søren Rix Petersen (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:20 AM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I can totally understand. The new Fatboy was the one I liked out of the 2018s and its even grown on me more with each passing day.

Loved watching your thread about your mods. Helped me decide which mods I wanted to do on mine.

You've put a lot of nice mods on your FLSS. Any thoughts about parting out the aftermarket stuff and putting it back close to stock before trading it in? If so let me know!

Well...looks like I am not going to be able to resist the new Fat Boy.... Slim S will be up for sale or will go as trade in for the new bike.... darn it!!!

Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLSSBart
I can totally understand. The new Fatboy was the one I liked out of the 2018s and its even grown on me more with each passing day.

Loved watching your thread about your mods. Helped me decide which mods I wanted to do on mine.

You've put a lot of nice mods on your FLSS. Any thoughts about parting out the aftermarket stuff and putting it back close to stock before trading it in? If so let me know!
Not sure how I will proceed... I am going to change the rear tire to get rid of the spacers and avoid the rubbing without spacers. I had already ordered the rear tire, it arrives Sep 7. Ordering the V-Rod front ABS sensor to get rid of the modified one that I have there now. When I installed the front wheel I ended up cutting the stock one to use the plug in the one I bought... turns out that the V-Rod sensor was a perfect fit without modifications....

If I decide to go back to stock I will need a new stock front ABS sensor and a new caliper. Not a big deal... and that way I get to keep the Fat Bob wheels if I ever get another Sportster down the road.

And I have not shared my plans with my wife... my urge and plans to change the bike might be short lived

Old 08-29-2017, 12:38 PM
FLSSBart
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Good Luck with the Mrs!

My wife is pretty understanding. She's always supported me and my motorcycle ADD.

With regard to selling off parts should you decide to trade it in, I meant like the rear rack, swing arm bag, windscreen, etc...

Not sure how I will proceed... I am going to change the rear tire to get rid of the spacers and avoid the rubbing without spacers. I had already ordered the rear tire, it arrives Sep 7. Ordering the V-Rod front ABS sensor to get rid of the modified one that I have there now. When I installed the front wheel I ended up cutting the stock one to use the plug in the one I bought... turns out that the V-Rod sensor was a perfect fit without modifications....

If I decide to go back to stock I will need a new stock front ABS sensor and a new caliper. Not a big deal... and that way I get to keep the Fat Bob wheels if I ever get another Sportster down the road.

And I have not shared my plans with my wife... my urge and plans to change the bike might be short lived

Quick Reply: My Mods Thread - 2016 Softail Slim S