Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat from the oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:26 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat from the oil tank

I am considering purchasing a Softail vs a Dyna. My only concern is that the Softail has the oil tank under the seat and near the right leg when riding.
The Dyna has a battery at that location. How much heat does the rider get from the oil tank when riding and is there something that can mitigate the heat from that source? I like the fact that the Softail has a counter balanced engine and is solidly mounted to the frame.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:49 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dabimf
I am considering purchasing a Softail vs a Dyna. My only concern is that the Softail has the oil tank under the seat and near the right leg when riding.
The Dyna has a battery at that location. How much heat does the rider get from the oil tank when riding and is there something that can mitigate the heat from that source? I like the fact that the Softail has a counter balanced engine and is solidly mounted to the frame.
Actually, the oil tank is also near your left leg too. As far as heat, I hardly notice any heat from the tank...more so from the motor itself. AFAIK, the only difference might be that the oil tank on a softail wraps around the battery and may shorten the life of the battery due to more heat. JMO

Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

We make a product called a Crotch Cooler and you install it under the seat so that you do not burn your self on the oil tank and cap. We have sold thousands to Softail owners for this very reason.. If you like just do a search on Captain Itch Crotch Coolers , If we can answer any questions just let us know. Thank you Larry .. http://shop.captain-itch.com/Crotch-...hields_c58.htm

Old 10-27-2015, 07:31 AM
dabimf
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response to my question. HDmikie great looking bike. Captain Itch I will look into your product.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:33 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought a Dyna instead of a Fatboy mainly due to the lack of ground clearance. I don't even notice the heat from the oil tank.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:45 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

After 8 yrs and 52k, That is not an issue... in stop and go traffic you'll feel more heat off the engine than the oil tank and if that's a problem then as said.. The Capt can fix that for Ya with his Crotch cooler.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:55 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I have had no issue with excessive heat from the oil tank.

After looking at the Captain Itch site, if I develop a issue with the heat, I will get a crotch cooler, looks like a good product.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

It's actually a trade off for the better. It is quite soothing to hemorrhoids as it heat soaks the bottom side of the seat. Get leather. Willie and Max makes a heat pad plumbed to the tank. If you look close, you can see mine. It has a winter and summer position. So, it's really not too warm in the summer.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-27-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:02 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

No issue at all! I only feel the heat from the rear cylinder!

So far I did not feel like I would need a crotch cooler but where I live there are no excessive outside temps and I try not to get jammed up in rush hour traffic.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Ramboamt
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never felt the heat from the oil tank but from the engine and my wife complained about the heat on her right leg even more. We went with the Capt'n Itch crotch cooler to deflect the heat from the engine and the oil cooler down and away from the rear passengers legs and my wife loves it. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Heat from the oil tank