Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker B: BREAKOUT MOD THREAD "CHROME-LESS"

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I was removing my rear wheel today so I can get my Metzeler 880 Marathon 260mm tire mounted tomorrow and stumbled across a trick that saved me a little time so I'll pass it on. When pulling, or more so replacing the axel I always find it a little difficult to get the right amount of weight on the tire to easily slide the axel in or out, I usually have to adjust with the jack at least couple of times or slide different size boards under. It's a little thing but still a pain in the ***. Today I had a towel under a board below the tire, when it was time to pull the axel I just doubled up the towel under the board and wedged both under the tire. the towel gave just enough sponge action to create the perfect amount of weight on the tire, I pushed the axel in with my finger and it slid right out, no resistance. The wheel rolled right out not even disturbing the caliper bracket since there was almost no weight on it. Maybe others do something similar? I don't know why It took me 5 or 6 wheel pulls before thinking of it, but its the way I'm doing it from now on!! When I put the wheel back on I'll start just a tad high on the folded towel (2-3 folds) and just push down on the top of the tire to line it up and get the axel started.The towel works like a little shock absorber, I tested it out and it works great, no picking up on the wheel trying to line it up or going up and down with the jack. Easy Peasy!!!

Should have it on for real tommorow

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-02-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:25 AM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Great looking bike! Thanks for the tire tip, I'll try it, as my rear wheel is off, at the moment,

Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Well couldn't get my tire mounted today, indy was closed? usually there Mon. It's been raining all day anyway here in Cali's gold country, which is good, we need the rain more than I need to ride.

I got a pic of the HD axel covers, It shows the tape and pen lines I use to line it back up for install (correspond with lines on tape on swingarm) but the washer is with the nut. I got these because they are both the same size and come with a replacement nut and washers that have a grove for the set screw The off brands have one little and one big cover that go's over the existing nut. I think It looks a lot better being even on both sides of the bike. They also require removing the axel and cost $110 vs. $25

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-03-2016 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by musicnbikes
Great looking bike! Thanks for the tire tip, I'll try it, as my rear wheel is off, at the moment,
Thanks man, and ya give it a try, a fluffy towel works best, more spring!! I've been following your thread.. thumbs up!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-02-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Great project and cool bike.

I also envy you your mechanical skills.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
Great project and cool bike.

I also envy you your mechanical skills.
Thanks, Usually it's only 50% skill and 50% fumble along until I figure it out.

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-02-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Even though I'm a "chrome guy" I always appreciate deep and personal customizations like yours. Great job so far!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:26 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Hey thanks appreciate it!! Did you get your bike back? how's it running? how about the grenade? got pics? I was thinking about the black one!!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

BTW I like the chrome too. your bike is awesome, I've got the Rocker C for when I'm in a chrome mood.

Last edited by Rocker B; 11-03-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:48 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocker B
Hey thanks appreciate it!! Did you get your bike back? how's it running? how about the grenade? got pics? I was thinking about the black one!!
Not yet but, weather permitting, tomorrow will bring her back home.
As far as I was told by the guy who dynoed her, scored 99hp/145NM tq which is even more than I expected considering that I have a 2into2 exhaust which is not the best choice performance wise, SE-204 cams (bolt on), SE CNC ported heads...a mild setup after all without altering compression, lift, etc...
Will have the coil cover installed too and will take some pictures asap!

Originally Posted by Rocker B
BTW I like the chrome too. your bike is awesome, I've got the Rocker C for when I'm in a chrome mood.
Thanks! Glad you like my scoot!
Having a chrome and a chromeless bike is absolutely the perfect choice, the best of the two worlds!

Quick Reply: Rocker B: BREAKOUT MOD THREAD "CHROME-LESS"