Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 04:51 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by J101
Hi, I've been reading this thread and wondered if someone might help me understand what cam is optimal for a 30 / 70 setup.

Current Bike Specs

2017 CVO Breakout
117 Kit
SE High Volume Oil Pump
259E cam
Stock 110 Heads
Bassani Pro Street Turnouts 2-2

My question is this, with an altered drive ratio say 30/70 is a cam that performs better higher in the RPM range more desirable? The current 259E comes on at about 3500 RPMS, assuming I'll get to 3500 very quickly with the altered ratio, do you want a cam that comes on strong early.

I want low end off the line TQ, just didn't know if moving to a lower end TQ cam would be that much better, or defeat the purpose somewhat.

I'm wanting to change my 259E and just want to make sure the change is compatible with the ratio change.

Thanks in advance guys.
I'm in the opposite side of this.

After doing the 30/70 swap, I found that what I achieved. And I'm sure the rest have also, was an over abundance of low end torque than stock.
Stop to stop in and around town cruising is ok.
But in a WOT off the line launch, I found that 1st gear was almost gone to where I'd redline too quick,
I've learned to switch into 2nd sooner which is also pretty short. In fact, not until after stretching out 4th gear... Can you then settle down before you're in 6th while tucked. But by then you're in the 113-120mph range depending. Which by then you way past that 1/4mi strip LOL
But what I'm really saying is that I can't understand why after doing this swap, one might want more from underneath?
Now if you had said... Is there a seven gear transmission option that would be optimal after doing a 30/70 gear ratio swap?, then I would be there right along side you in line.
Only I already asked this and found that S&S actually does offer one. LOL

Old 05-28-2017, 05:57 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by J101
Hi, I've been reading this thread and wondered if someone might help me understand what cam is optimal for a 30 / 70 setup.

Current Bike Specs

2017 CVO Breakout
117 Kit
SE High Volume Oil Pump
259E cam
Stock 110 Heads
Bassani Pro Street Turnouts 2-2

My question is this, with an altered drive ratio say 30/70 is a cam that performs better higher in the RPM range more desirable? The current 259E comes on at about 3500 RPMS, assuming I'll get to 3500 very quickly with the altered ratio, do you want a cam that comes on strong early.

I want low end off the line TQ, just didn't know if moving to a lower end TQ cam would be that much better, or defeat the purpose somewhat.

I'm wanting to change my 259E and just want to make sure the change is compatible with the ratio change.

Thanks in advance guys.
If you're "on the cam" at 3500 rpm, that won't change. What will change is that, with a given twist of the throttle, you'll arrive at 3500 rpm sooner than you did before the swap and have more rear wheel torque throughout the entire rpm range owing to the new sprocket ratio(s). You'll up-shift sooner and "top out" sooner but that will happen at pretty high speeds if you're in 6th gear and it won't be cam dependent. I can't see the point in increasing ratios to increase operating rpm's then installing a cam which optimizes low rpm performance. A cam that comes on soon, if thats what you want, would make sense so long as it delivers right up to the top of the rpm range too.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:33 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by HKMark23
If you're "on the cam" at 3500 rpm, that won't change. What will change is that, with a given twist of the throttle, you'll arrive at 3500 rpm sooner than you did before the swap and have more rear wheel torque throughout the entire rpm range owing to the new sprocket ratio(s). You'll up-shift sooner and "top out" sooner but that will happen at pretty high speeds if you're in 6th gear and it won't be cam dependent. I can't see the point in increasing ratios to increase operating rpm's then installing a cam which optimizes low rpm performance. A cam that comes on soon, if thats what you want, would make sense so long as it delivers right up to the top of the rpm range too.
There might be a few extra ponies to be had by swapping out the 2x2 for a 2 into one high performance exhaust and an after market high prforming air cleaner

Old 05-28-2017, 07:31 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
There might be a few extra ponies to be had by swapping out the 2x2 for a 2 into one high performance exhaust and an after market high prforming air cleaner
Agree. In fact, doing the 2 into 1 exhaust and betetr air cleaner should be the FIRST or 2nd thing done, with the gearing change being the other!

Doing a cam without first doing the exhaust and intake is wasting the cam, as with a stock exhaust and intake, the cam can't really perform to its potential.

And yes, a higher rpm and the gearing change complement each other. My Stage 4 kit (original 2014 one, not the watered down newer one) plus the gearing change, has proven to be a dynamite combination.

Jim G

Old 05-28-2017, 12:30 PM
J101
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I'm in the opposite side of this.

After doing the 30/70 swap, I found that what I achieved. And I'm sure the rest have also, was an over abundance of low end torque than stock.
Stop to stop in and around town cruising is ok.
But in a WOT off the line launch, I found that 1st gear was almost gone to where I'd redline too quick,
I've learned to switch into 2nd sooner which is also pretty short. In fact, not until after stretching out 4th gear... Can you then settle down before you're in 6th while tucked. But by then you're in the 113-120mph range depending. Which by then you way past that 1/4mi strip LOL
But what I'm really saying is that I can't understand why after doing this swap, one might want more from underneath?
Now if you had said... Is there a seven gear transmission option that would be optimal after doing a 30/70 gear ratio swap?, then I would be there right along side you in line.
Only I already asked this and found that S&S actually does offer one. LOL
So in your opinion the 30/70 ratio swap would be better served with a cam that came on above 3000K?

This is where I got a bit confused, I want more low end, and was about to jerk the 259E out for a cam with better low end, but I'm thinking that might be the wrong decision considering the low end issue should be take care of by the 30/70 ratio swap.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:34 PM
J101
Novice

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Thank You, that makes sense and furthers my concerns that I don't really need a low end torque cam if I'm going to do a 30/70 swap, I'm thinking I need more of a mid to high.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:50 PM
J101
Novice

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Agree. In fact, doing the 2 into 1 exhaust and betetr air cleaner should be the FIRST or 2nd thing done, with the gearing change being the other!

Doing a cam without first doing the exhaust and intake is wasting the cam, as with a stock exhaust and intake, the cam can't really perform to its potential.

And yes, a higher rpm and the gearing change complement each other. My Stage 4 kit (original 2014 one, not the watered down newer one) plus the gearing change, has proven to be a dynamite combination.

Jim G
Just for clarification the bike does have the SE heavy breather, and the exhaust is the Bassani Pro Street Turnouts.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:20 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

For my personal riding style that lower gear ratio suits any cam, low, mid or high, more so when on the highway.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:14 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Swap out the gear ratio first. The see if you still want a cam swap.
I was going to the csm be ause my ex INDY recommended it.
then crazy man LA dawg put this thread up and decided to try this first based on HIS recomendstion.

LA dawg is more then a helpful mentor. He's an enabler LOL

Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 PM
tommyglide
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree with Mr Splaaatt, ratio should be changed anyway. Adjust after accordingly.

Quick Reply: Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%