Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Wayne_Wilson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the 70T 24mm rear pully?

Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 173 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne_Wilson
I believe LA_Dog included that early in the sticky thread.

Jim G

Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bodgie1307
"You're way overthinking this, the optimal path is already laid out. get the ractech 1.0kg springs / ricor dampers, follow the instructions here and you'll be good to go."

Decided doin the racetech/ricor mod ..is the preload on the cap too great to remove whilst tubes are on bike and is there no way to suck oil out
wrong thread brother - no worries though. as HK Mark said, it is actually easier to just slide the tubes out of the triples. Really, it is not hard. walk through the step by step posted instructions that I laid out in page 1 of the suspension thread. follow that and you'll be golden.

I there were an easier way, I would have done it that way (cause I'm effing lazy)
But really it is not hard to do.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:23 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

try page 1 post #2

Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Wayne_Wilson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your help. I have the race tech springs, progressive 422's with rap, stinted pads front and rear and a Vance & Hines naked on order now. I found the front 30t and am struggling with finding the 70T without going custom dollars on it. I believe I just found one on ebay but I'm waiting on a call back from the seller.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you all for your help. I have the race tech springs, progressive 422's with rap, stinted pads front and rear and a Vance & Hines naked on order now. I found the front 30t and am struggling with finding the 70T without going custom dollars on it. I believe I just found one on ebay but I'm waiting on a call back from the seller.
Cool- Good luck. And don't sweat the extra expense on the 30/70 upgrade. It is so much performance gain for the money, with no downside, it's ridiculous. A lot of guys spend thousands on cam and heads upgrades, and don't end up with as much immediate benefit as you get by simply correcting the overall drive ratio with correct belt pulleys. That said, if and when you ever do cams / heads etc, you'll get the 100% full benefit from that too because you optimized the overall final drive ratio.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:47 PM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ive spent the last few days reading this thread and the other associated threads for this upgrade. All I can say is wow. Thanks to everyone who put into here for the rest of us. I decided to do this myself now. I would normally post in the Dyna threads but I wanted to post here since this was the longest and had the most details. Thanks again. I have a local Indy who is doing the labor for $200 (Long time friend as well). I'm gonna do the swap HD Pilot did (30/68). If I read everything correctly I can get the International Dyna pulley (HD 40535-06) 68T and not have to use a spacer. New Pulley bolts and the HD 30T front, HD 83595-11. Just fluids/gaskets after that and re-calibrate the speed with a tuner. Its going on a '14 Street Bob.

The following users liked this post:
LA_Dog (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dklozik
Ive spent the last few days reading this thread and the other associated threads for this upgrade. All I can say is wow. Thanks to everyone who put into here for the rest of us. I decided to do this myself now. I would normally post in the Dyna threads but I wanted to post here since this was the longest and had the most details. Thanks again. I have a local Indy who is doing the labor for $200 (Long time friend as well). I'm gonna do the swap HD Pilot did (30/68). If I read everything correctly I can get the International Dyna pulley (HD 40535-06) 68T and not have to use a spacer. New Pulley bolts and the HD 30T front, HD 83595-11. Just fluids/gaskets after that and re-calibrate the speed with a tuner. Its going on a '14 Street Bob.
Thanks for posting- And you raise a good point, I'd like to again invite all Dyna owners to post here as well- This upgrade applies equally to all HD Softail/Dyna from 2007-up. Sure there will be some slight mechanical differences like rear pulley offset on Dyna vs Softail, but the overall benefit is 100%same and totally bad ***.

I'd love to find a way to bridge these identical topic threads in the Softail and Dyna forums but there is no way to do it. I guess all that matters is you find your way to one of these DIY threads and "get 'er done" !!

Good luck on the upgrade- If you are mostly town riding I'd suggest a 70t rear pulley. if you ever have any doubt or question about your speed mph vs rpm, look on page 1 at the charts. you'll still be getting perfectly normal mpg, you'll be well within very normal mph vs rpm ranges per gear, (actually you'll be in much more of an optimal range per gear) - And now you will have some real get-up-n-go from any gear (including 6th- say what ?!?).

The only time I suggest a 68t rear now is if you are mainly a freeway touring rider or for some reason you can't find a 70t or want to stick with some type of custom design pulley that only comes in 68t. Initially we thought that there might be some mpg penalty by running 70t but that is not the case. I say go 70t because since you are doing this you might as well get all of the performance benefit instead of leaving some on the table.

..Well I guess it could cause lower mpg because your right wrist will be VERY happy!! lol.

Lastly- for all you Dyna guys- be sure and confirm pulley offsets and fitments in the Dyna forum equivalent of this thread. it is better to be double sure than have to buy a part twice. - at least until we get some more Dyna-specific info here for reference.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 05-10-2017 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
dirty 3rdy (07-10-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 01:23 AM
dklozik
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Something else that would be good to add to page 1 is the list of tuners that allow for speedo adjustments.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:53 PM
J101
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I've been reading this thread and wondered if someone might help me understand what cam is optimal for a 30 / 70 setup.

Current Bike Specs

2017 CVO Breakout
117 Kit
SE High Volume Oil Pump
259E cam
Stock 110 Heads
Bassani Pro Street Turnouts 2-2

My question is this, with an altered drive ratio say 30/70 is a cam that performs better higher in the RPM range more desirable? The current 259E comes on at about 3500 RPMS, assuming I'll get to 3500 very quickly with the altered ratio, do you want a cam that comes on strong early.

I want low end off the line TQ, just didn't know if moving to a lower end TQ cam would be that much better, or defeat the purpose somewhat.

I'm wanting to change my 259E and just want to make sure the change is compatible with the ratio change.

Thanks in advance guys.

Quick Reply: Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%