Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail slim wind ripping helmet off

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 PM
bobsharley
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Softail slim wind ripping helmet off

Well good evening HD gang. I just went from a Street Glide to a Softail Slim S. I love the bike but it tries to rip my helmet off when I ride. I have the Crazy Al's super small helmet. I did purchase the detachable windshield for long rides but I don't always want it on. Will the fork wind deflectors help with the wind coming up and pulling my helmet off?

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 PM
RickyOrtiz84
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sure you got the right size helmet? Some movement is expected but if it's literally coming off I would think bout a smaller helmet or tighten it up.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyOrtiz84
You sure you got the right size helmet? Some movement is expected but if it's literally coming off I would think bout a smaller helmet or tighten it up.
Your helmet shouldn't move around much regardless of wind!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 01-30-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 AM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,013 Likes on 655 Posts

There are several threads on this forum regarding fork wind deflectors, also known as "fangs."

Here is one of them:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...our-fangs.html

My experience has been positive. My fangs reduce the amount of wind, or buffeting coming up from the sides of the tank. If you put your left arm out horizontally as you ride you'll feel wind pushing up from the sides of the tank. Put the fangs on and the wind buffetting is reduced significantly. My experience is with the windshield on. I dont know what the difference is without a windshield, so you'll need to read some of the posts from other riders to get their experience. Read through the threads and you'll get a lot of opinions.

I also agree with the other posters, you're helmet should fit snug and not move or rattle on your head. One of my old helmets fits loose because of age and wear. I started wearing a bandana on my head under the helmet and that snugged it right up again, no more vibration, shaking, or rattling.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 01dyna; 01-30-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:28 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

I wear a Crazy Al lid and it does not move at all. Yours may be too big or chin strap too loose. Either way hope you find a solution.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree with what the others wrote. It's actually not the bike but the wind that tends to rip your helmet off, right ? So either your helmet is to large or you're simply going to fast...

I wear a 3/4 helmet and that's mostly fine up to 75 mph, anything faster than that becomes very uncomfortable anyway.

Last edited by EagleRay; 01-30-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:36 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

With forward controls, as found on all Softails, the location of your legs contribute to up-drafts against your torso and head. The fangs may be of some help, but it will be minimal without an effective windshield, and probably a full face or at least 3/4 helmet.

My naked Deuce starts the combination of heavy torso pressure, and head buffeting at about 60mph and only gets worse with speed. The HD windshield that came with my used Deuce only makes it worse. That shield has been removed. I wear a 3/4 helmet and am going to try a full face to see if it helps.

I've owned quite a few naked bikes over the years, none have had wind issues like the Deuce. They all had mid controls, and some forward lean to the riding position.

Honestly, the ride above 60 on a new Vespa is smoother than my Deuce.

Apparently there is a price to be paid for looking cool.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:19 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

you can try goin slower

Old 01-30-2016, 06:51 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem, most noticeable going from the RK to the softy. Its nothing to do with helmet size, a correctly fitting lid will still get blown off your head if you're going fast enough. I've had a lid lift completely off my head and would have been gone if it wasn't for the chin strap at 70mph when a truck passed in the opposite direction.
A screen will help, as will fangs, have both on the RK, but you know this already from riding your glide.
I have a peak on my open face lid, and angling my head slightly forward helps, but long distance at high speed is challenging without a fairing of some description.
Just go slower. The difference between 75 and 60 is amazing. I don't like doing less than 60 in top gear.

Last edited by fatboy slim; 01-30-2016 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:55 AM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Think you need to look for a better fitting helmet ! I was doing 90mph today on my S & admittedly at that speed you're going to get wind buffeting but my helmet wasn't moving around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Softail slim wind ripping helmet off