Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is everyone with a power vision getting a custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:29 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio

Are there good tuners out there? I don't doubt that there are. Is the tuner you went to any good? Only you can answer that. My answer is no. I will spend $400 on a device that I can work with rather than pay a guy the same money only to flush it down the drain.
In my very humble opinion, a dyno tune is for drag racing.. it is tuned with wot to redline or rev-limiter. That sure aint the way I ride. PV A/T tunes it the way I ride. The base tune I got from S&S was excellent and the only noticeable change from 2 AT sessions is improved gas mileage, from 43 to 46 mpg. granted this is based on only 3 fillups but it looks good and I can think of no reason to get it dyno tuned.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 66cruiser
In my very humble opinion, a dyno tune is for drag racing.. it is tuned with wot to redline or rev-limiter. That sure aint the way I ride. PV A/T tunes it the way I ride. The base tune I got from S&S was excellent and the only noticeable change from 2 AT sessions is improved gas mileage, from 43 to 46 mpg. granted this is based on only 3 fillups but it looks good and I can think of no reason to get it dyno tuned.
A dyno is an excellent tool for tuning all ranges of operation, most people only see a WOT pull done such as horsepower shootouts and such, and they develop opinions similar to yours. My question to you is where do you think, in your case S&S, got the information to develop the base tune they provided you with?

About the two minute mark you get an idea of how a dyno is used to tune all areas

Last edited by Fat11Lo; 05-23-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Well after spending $400 on a "professional tuner" (that came highly recommended by my local dealer no less) I was not impressed with the tune he put on my PCV. I decided to ditch the PC and bought a PV from Fuel Moto. The stock tune they sent me is miles better than the PCV with dual band sensors and $400 Dynotune.

There is no doubt that a dyno tune, performed by a competent (better yet, very skilled) tuner is the best way to tune your bike..... period.

However, a dyno tune by a substandard tuner is worse than useless.....

On another forum I visit regularly, there are many posters that are in the bike tuning business. There are several that are obviously very good tuners. They constantly poo-poo "canned maps" from places like FuelMoto and DynoJet. They always tell people, for best results, to spend the money and get a dyno tune...

And while they are absolutely correct, they don't know what it's like to NOT have a dyno tune nearby or have one and know nothing about the tuner....

The only dyno tuner I knew, and trusted, stopped doing business because of CARB, here in CA....

I decided to be self sufficient. I own a PowerVision, and have it licensed for both my bikes and two good friend's bikes. When we make changes, we get a MAP from FuelMoto, auto tune the VE tables, and the bikes run very good for street use. I even went so far as getting an Auto Tune Pro module, so if the exhaust has 18mm O2 sensor bungs, we can Auto tune with wide band O2 sensors....!

For the price of two dyno tunes, I can now take care of my own bikes (and a couple friends) as many times as I wish...

I don't have to lay down $400-$500 just to see if the tuner has any skills... and even if it turns out he has skills, I have to go back whenever I make a mod change..

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
A dyno is an excellent tool for tuning all ranges of operation, most people only see a WOT pull done such as horsepower shootouts and such, and they develop opinions similar to yours. My question to you is where do you think, in your case S&S, got the information to develop the base tune they provided you with?..
So they got the info & I fine tune it for my bike & riding style, & I'm 100% satisfied, I'm not interested in spending several hundred $ more on a dyno run.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM
08xl1200r
Road Captain
Received 308 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I understand your point, I have had a less than satisfactory experience with a local dyno tuner, like I have said before the tuning device is only as good as the person using it. The PV combined with Fuel Moto's support is hard to beat. My experience with them has been nothing but good. Tuners are like any other skilled profession, some in the business are really good and some are really bad. In my 25+ years as a diesel mechanic I have found that the more arrogant they are the worse they are at their job at least in my field.
Yep, I've seen that on the job too, sometimes to an extreme degree... i.e someone's actual competence and their self perception of it are often inversely related.
Read this article years ago, it backs that up with research and stuck with me

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...es-2783375.php

Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM
yooper1962
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decel poping

[QUOE=Gordon61;16246660]The problem is the alleged "autotune" process doesn't know how to handle the deceleration fuel cut off so we fudge the state of affairs by simply telling the box to ignore anything under 30kpa ...great idea ...now, how do we tune those cells that are below 30 kpa again...?

Nice older thread, hopefully we have learnt something since then?[/QUOTE].

First collum in tune add 3 all the way down for start then ride if poping add1 all the way down do this couple times and close the throttle works well with no baffle pipes.