Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why I feel SICK to my stomack...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts
Default why I feel SICK to my stomack...

ran across these articles when I was new to our beloved twin cam softail scoot. Three years later and a bit more wiser? And I'm heart broken. Or maybe worse.
Bottom line is that with out a major invest in both time and money, I may be faced with some really tough choices.
If you can shed some light on what I've read in these articles, it would really help.
Read the first one, than the second. Some of you may want to grab a box of tissues first...
Sigh... http://www.baggersmag.com/twin-cam-e...twisting-crank and; http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

" TWIN CAM Troubles It looks like the TC engines are having problems again in the cam shaft area. There are documented problems where the cam bearing support plate and cam bearings fail. This is occurs on stock bikes and modified bikes. When the problem occurs, it can result in catastrophic failure of the cams, cam bearings, cam support plate, cam chain tensioners, blown oil pump and lifters. The fix is very expensive, a failure is even more expensive.
If you have an aftermarket cam shafts, most Harley-Davidson Dealers are not covering this under warranty. There are two repair kits from Harley-Davidson that contain the parts to fix this problem.
Fuel injected models require part number 24984-99.
Carburetor models require part number 24985-99.
There is an extensive list of components is this repair kit including camshafts, cam bearings, cam bearing support plate, cam sprocket, cam chain, cam tensioner, oil pump, hydraulic lifters and gaskets.
A complete description of this problem was published in the December 2000 American Iron Magazine page 28.
Harley-Davidson Service Bulletin M-1100 "Cam Bearing Repair Kits" issued July 10, 2000 defines the problem and repair.End Quote; Night Rider

Last edited by splattttttt; 03-28-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:24 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

It is a 16 year old article. Not a issue.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 AM
HrdNox
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Don't panic. Thats the worst thing you can do in a situation like this.
Besides,most of the "real life" issues with out bikes most likely will unfold here.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:37 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, the first article I read didn't contain a date past '06, so that's already a decade old load of crap. As for the second article, I found so many holes, lack of supporting data, hear say, and just straight out BS that I got tired of reading the stupid thing. That's really all I have to say about it.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:37 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Stop reading.... Go riding.

Weather was great yesterday. Did 120 miles through MA and RI.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:37 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hspring03
Stop reading.... Go riding.

Weather was great yesterday. Did 120 miles through MA and RI.
Ya, what this guy said.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Not this again

The second article is a joke, a sportster fanboy digging up anything and everything that could possibly go wrong, the same could be said about any mass produced product

Old 03-28-2016, 10:01 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It's all true. We all know about how much easier to maintain and more reliable Jap bikes are. But, so does the guy that picks an American muscle car over a Celica. The twin-cam motor is junk compared to just about everything else. I love reading Jame's rants! Even though he is highly repetitive, he is spot on when it comes to the twin-cam's know problems and especially how dealerships act stupid. He's right that if you buy a twin-cam, you owe it to yourself to learn how to work on it. He's funny, "Imagine if you bought a new car and they tell you you must have the engine disassembled every 15,000 to keep your warranty! Nobody does that to customers, but Harley-Davidson? Not cool, bro. Not cool at all."

Doesn't make me want to run out and trade in my awesome Softail for a sporty. No way. But I did learn how to pop the cover off my Softail (without removing the exhaust) to check the tensioner shoes and do so every other oil change. I also know that when I build that hard tail chop I've always wanted, I'll use either a new S&S motor or a sporty motor (if funds are tight). Wouldn't even think about a twin-cam. Food for thought!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:26 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by yzergod
It's all true. We all know about how much easier to maintain and more reliable Jap bikes are. But, so does the guy that picks an American muscle car over a Celica. The twin-cam motor is junk compared to just about everything else. I love reading Jame's rants! Even though he is highly repetitive, he is spot on when it comes to the twin-cam's know problems and especially how dealerships act stupid. He's right that if you buy a twin-cam, you owe it to yourself to learn how to work on it. He's funny, "Imagine if you bought a new car and they tell you you must have the engine disassembled every 15,000 to keep your warranty! Nobody does that to customers, but Harley-Davidson? Not cool, bro. Not cool at all."

Doesn't make me want to run out and trade in my awesome Softail for a sporty. No way. But I did learn how to pop the cover off my Softail (without removing the exhaust) to check the tensioner shoes and do so every other oil change. I also know that when I build that hard tail chop I've always wanted, I'll use either a new S&S motor or a sporty motor (if funds are tight). Wouldn't even think about a twin-cam. Food for thought!
I read his article years ago, he goes down a whole list of anything that could go wrong.
I've worked in the auto repair business for close to 30 years now and have worked a 5 different dealerships.
I've seen the same things with all of them, recalls and TSBs for every manufacturer... No mass produced product is untouched.

I've rebuilt transmissions with 18k miles on them so I guess that means they're all junk.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,903 Likes on 21,306 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
ran across these articles when I was new to our beloved twin cam softail scoot. Three years later and a bit more wiser? And I'm heart broken. Or maybe worse.
Bottom line is that with out a major invest in both time and money, I may be faced with some really tough choices.
If you can shed some light on what I've read in these articles, it would really help.
Read the first one, than the second. Some of you may want to grab a box of tissues first...
Sigh... http://www.baggersmag.com/twin-cam-e...twisting-crank and; http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

" TWIN CAM Troubles It looks like the TC engines are having problems again in the cam shaft area. There are documented problems where the cam bearing support plate and cam bearings fail. This is occurs on stock bikes and modified bikes. When the problem occurs, it can result in catastrophic failure of the cams, cam bearings, cam support plate, cam chain tensioners, blown oil pump and lifters. The fix is very expensive, a failure is even more expensive.
If you have an aftermarket cam shafts, most Harley-Davidson Dealers are not covering this under warranty. There are two repair kits from Harley-Davidson that contain the parts to fix this problem.
Fuel injected models require part number 24984-99.
Carburetor models require part number 24985-99.
There is an extensive list of components is this repair kit including camshafts, cam bearings, cam bearing support plate, cam sprocket, cam chain, cam tensioner, oil pump, hydraulic lifters and gaskets.
A complete description of this problem was published in the December 2000 American Iron Magazine page 28.
Harley-Davidson Service Bulletin M-1100 "Cam Bearing Repair Kits" issued July 10, 2000 defines the problem and repair.End Quote; Night Rider
WOWOWOWOW!!!

Quick Reply: why I feel SICK to my stomack...