Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Relatively epic build thread - 2010 FLSTFB Fatty loooow

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Juppies
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 FLSTFB Fatboy Lo build started

IT'S DONE!!!!!! (Almost)

Just a few more gold bits, and the pinstripes still needs to do his thing, but I had to post these, it's the first time I've seen it buttoned up.

I'll be posting all of the build process pics and descriptions this week (those will be at the end of the thread, these just had to be first )

Took what seemed like forever, but it was all worth it. Here we go:

Like I said, more to come, I'll have all the build stuff added soon.
Now back to the original........vvvvv

Alright boys, this will be my first real post besides the new member area, and it's hopefully going to be a pretty sweet build thread.

In December of '15, and after not owning a scoot for almost 2 years, I found a great deal on a 2010 Fatboy Lo. This is my starting point, and while not terrible, I have a much different vision:

It had several cosmetic upgrades when I got her, mostly factory Harley black options (wrinkle cam and tranny covers, RSD points cover, wrinkle primary cover, brake and shift levers, pedals, lights, levers, flush gauges, misc stuff etc...). This next step will go above and beyond though, and truly make her a one-off Fatboy.

List of planned mods is as follows, although I'm sure I'll be adding stuff as we go

Platinum Air Ride (shout out to Mike who's super helpful and a pleasure to talk to... Went above and beyond to get my stuff powder coated and shipped on the double!)
RSD Tracker Rear Fender Conversion
RSD Boss Seat for 200 conversion (custom gold stitch)
RSD Tracker exhaust (powder coated black heat shields)
RSD Tracker side-mount plate w/ led tail/brake light
S&S 106 kit
Ride Wright 21" front & 16" rear w/ Metzler rubber & custom rotors (another shout out to Sam at Ride Wright, who is beyond awesome to work with)
Klock Werks wrapper front fender
Klock Werks ignition switch relocation
Klock Werks Softail Dash
Dakota Digital MCL-2000 gauge/tach w/ Black Bezel
2" Tank Lift w/ rear deluxe option (DK custom products)
Magnum black stainless brake, throttle, and clutch lines/cables
Carlini 14" x 1.5" Gangster Apes w/ Roadking Riser (great customer service at Carlini btw)
Arlen pushrod covers
Black tappet covers
Harley Freight Train Nacelle
Custom coil relocation (location tbd)
Alloy Art front signals, mounted to the Freight Train Nacelle
Misc Black and Gold nut and bolt swaps (grade 8 of course, with custom powdercoating and painting)
A new flat black paint job, slightly different (flatter and darker) than Harley Black Denim, and a lot of creative and unique painted parts
Gold leaf, gold leaf, gold leaf, a bit more gold, and some gold striping

My boys at Curly's Customs in Arizona will be doing the work. They have a shop in Prescott Valley, and a shop in the Phoenix area. They're super nice dudes, certified, and know what the hell they're doing. If you're in AZ, or anywhere in the southwest US for that matter, hit them up and have them do your work. The parts that I (unfortunately) DID have to get from the dealer, were purchased from Grand Canyon Harley in Mayer, AZ. As much crap as a lot of guys on this site give dealers, Grand Canyon does a great job of working with you and making sure you leave happy.

This thread will take a while to develop, but since my bike was hauled away today, I'm already missing her and decided that tonight was a good time to post. I'll update in real time, and I appreciate comments and feedback. Thanks guys.

Last edited by Juppies; 06-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 PM
Juppies
Novice

Today's haul-away. She's pretty well stripped down, but I bolted the stock bars back on for tie-downs:

You can also see I swapped a bunch of bolts from stock steel to black oxide. It's a fun upgrade, and super easy to do if you're blacking out your motor. Hit up your manual or measure yourself for sizes, then find black oxide grade 8 in the same dimensions. Much, much cheaper than a 3rd party hardware kit, they don't look cheap like toppers or caps, and you get to learn torque specs and get more familiar with the bike.

Anyway..

The RSD Tracker rear fender has also been mocked-up to check general fit. These things are rad right out of the box. It needs nothing but a drill-out for the seat screw and some paint. Thx for measuring twice and cutting once, Roland:

My shop was kind enough to swing by and pick her up for me this morning.
I spared you guys the video of me waving as she was towed off into the sunrise

Hopefully I'll have some more build pics for y'all over the next few days.

Last edited by Juppies; 03-31-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 AM
Juppies
Novice

While I'm at it, here are a few of the parts that have come in already....

Ride Wright 21" front w/ the Klock Werks wrapper fender:

The back is obviously the same, just a 16". I can't say enough good things about Ride Wright. The powder coat is flawless, the wheels shipped with mounted rubber, the rotors look awesome, and they were a pleasure to work with.

Harley Freight Train Nacelle, somewhat-mounted just to get a sense of how it will look. I can't wait:

I'll be putting my black daymaker and an extended trim ring in it. It will need a tiny bit of Dremel work even with Carlini's Roadking riser, but the cover should hide it nicely.

That's pretty much it for now, should make some progress this weekend.

Last edited by Juppies; 03-31-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:34 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,383 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Juppies
The parts that I DID have to get from the dealer, were purchased from Grand Canyon Harley in Mayer, AZ. As much **** as a lot of guys on this site give dealers, Grand Canyon does a great job of working with you and making sure you leave happy.
When I rode across country, I needed a service when I reached Flagstaff... I went to Grand Canyon HD in Bellemont,AZ. Not sure if it's the same owners, but that place was great... they worked me in and did an excellent job. As I was waiting, although they were backed up, I saw them help a couple other "travelers" with issues...

Good dealer... they DO exist...!

Old 03-31-2016, 02:23 PM
Juppies
Novice

For sure, Hattitude. A lot of the flak they catch just comes from what Harley makes them charge. Usually great guys though.

And yeah, same owners. I believe they have 4 throughout Northern AZ.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
crazytrain16s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have been thinking about the same wheels on my 2016 S can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 PM
riknbeth
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Juppies
Alright boys, this will be my first real post besides the new member area, and it's hopefully going to be a pretty sweet build thread.

In December of '15, and after not owning a scoot for almost 2 years, I found a great deal on a 2010 Fatboy Lo. This is my starting point, and while not terrible, I have a much different vision:

It had several cosmetic upgrades when I got her, mostly factory Harley black options (wrinkle cam and tranny covers, RSD points cover, wrinkle primary cover, brake and shift levers, pedals, lights, levers, flush gauges, misc stuff etc...). This next step will go above and beyond though, and truly make her a one-off Fatboy.

List of planned mods is as follows, although I'm sure I'll be adding stuff as we go

Platinum Air Ride (shout out to Mike who's super helpful and a pleasure to talk to... Went above and beyond to get my stuff powder coated and shipped on the double!)
RSD Tracker Rear Fender Conversion
RSD Boss Seat for 200 conversion (custom gold stitch)
RSD Tracker exhaust (powder coated black heat shields)
RSD Tracker side-mount plate w/ led tail/brake light
S&S 106 kit
Ride Wright 21" front & 16" rear w/ Metzler rubber & custom rotors (another shout out to Sam at Ride Wright, who is beyond awesome to work with)
Klock Werks wrapper front fender
Klock Werks ignition switch relocation
Klock Werks Softail Dash
Dakota Digital MCL-2000 gauge/tach w/ Black Bezel
2" Tank Lift w/ rear deluxe option (DK custom products)
Magnum black stainless brake, throttle, and clutch lines/cables
Carlini 14" x 1.5" Gangster Apes w/ Roadking Riser (great customer service at Carlini btw)
Arlen pushrod covers
Black tappet covers
Harley Freight Train Nacelle
Custom coil relocation (location tbd)
Alloy Art front signals, mounted to the Freight Train Nacelle
Misc Black and Gold nut and bolt swaps (grade 8 of course, with custom powdercoating and painting)
A new flat black paint job, slightly different (flatter and darker) than Harley Black Denim, and a lot of creative and unique painted parts
Gold leaf, gold leaf, gold leaf, a bit more gold, and some gold striping

My boys at Curly's Customs in Arizona will be doing the work. They have a shop in Prescott Valley, and a shop in the Phoenix area. They're super nice dudes, certified, and know what the hell they're doing. If you're in AZ, or anywhere in the southwest US for that matter, hit them up and have them do your work. The parts that I (unfortunately) DID have to get from the dealer, were purchased from Grand Canyon Harley in Mayer, AZ. As much crap as a lot of guys on this site give dealers, Grand Canyon does a great job of working with you and making sure you leave happy.

This thread will take a while to develop, but since my bike was hauled away today, I'm already missing her and decided that tonight was a good time to post. I'll update in real time, and I appreciate comments and feedback. Thanks guys.
OK, that sounds like a lot of upgrades. I actually thought the original bike looked pretty good.... Please update with pictures, going to be awesome.

The following users liked this post:
Juppies (04-22-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 PM
LockAndLoad
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

It takes an amazing amount of confidence to do what you're doing. And so far, I like it!

I'll be following this one with anticipation. Looking good!

Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Keep the updates coming. I have never been brave, or rich, enough to tear into a bike that much. I am interested to see how it turns out.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:26 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Nice, I'll keep checking this thread!

Quick Reply: Relatively epic build thread - 2010 FLSTFB Fatty loooow