Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking Issue - Front Tire Lock Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:41 AM
S/G Racer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking Issue - Front Tire Lock Up

After many years of sportbike riding, I picked up my first HD - 1998 FXSTC that just turned 8,000 miles. I've put about 300 miles on it so far and love the bike. But I encountered my first aggressive brake situation this past weekend and now I'm concerned.

Long story short, I had to brake hard, put definitely shy of a panic stop and both tires locked up. The rear was not a surprise, but the front was (road was dry and application of brakes was firm but smooth). Upon returning home, I checked the tires and they have plenty of tread, with no cracking, but it appears as if they are original. Needless to say, they're getting replaced asap, but in researching front brake lock up issues, I read that sometimes on these bikes the front fender comes in contact with the tire and causes is to lock up. Is this common and is there anyway to check? I see no signs of contact on either the fender or tire.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by S/G Racer
...in researching front brake lock up issues, I read that sometimes on these bikes the front fender comes in contact with the tire and causes is to lock up...
Where are you finding this information? Have you looked at how the front fender is mounted? How is braking going to cause the fender to contact the tire and lock up the wheel?

You're not on a sport bike anymore. I'd say you problem is that you are riding a very different bike with very different handling traits. Take your time and learn your bike. Find a big parking lot without obstructions and do some practicing; braking, slow/tight turns, swerves,...

Enjoy!

Old 04-27-2016, 07:56 AM
S/G Racer
1st Gear

Originally Posted by mdm
Where are you finding this information? Have you looked at how the front fender is mounted? How is braking going to cause the fender to contact the tire and lock up the wheel?

You're not on a sport bike anymore. I'd say you problem is that you are riding a very different bike with very different handling traits. Take your time and learn your bike. Find a big parking lot without obstructions and do some practicing; braking, slow/tight turns, swerves,...

Enjoy!
I read it on a forum...someone's personal experience. I don't think it was this one, but I'll look for it. In any event, the rider mentioned something about the clearance between the fender and tire being wrong because of an issue with the dog bones. Sounds like a rare situation. You're right, these bikes are a lot different and take some getting used to. But my gut is telling me that front locked up way too easily and the 18 yr old tires had something to do with it.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Well its good to hear that you handled a front wheel lockup correctly, otherwise I am sure you would be telling us about how you laid her down. Like has been said you need to put some time in on the bike and practice the feel of hard braking with her, any front fender coming in contact with the wheel would likely rip the fender off, and the following results I don't even want to think about. Don't know how it could ever happen, go look at how the fender is mounted it moves with the wheel and lower shock segment.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Harleys will brake differently than sport bikes, because they have a much lower center of gravity, and less weight transfer to the front when braking. The braking limit tends to be found when the font tire loses traction, rather than when the back tire comes off the ground (a stoppie).
You could put a stickier sportbike tire on the front, if your wheel is a size that will take one.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 AM
S/G Racer
1st Gear

Originally Posted by HardRider1
Well its good to hear that you handled a front wheel lockup correctly, otherwise I am sure you would be telling us about how you laid her down.
Thanks...It wasn't pretty and involved swerving into the oncoming lane (which was clear thankfully) in order to avoid getting personal with the tailgate of an F150.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Thanks...It wasn't pretty and involved swerving into the oncoming lane (which was clear thankfully) in order to avoid getting personal with the tailgate of an F150.
It is quite common for threads to be started about situations riders got into only to find out that it was likely rider error.

First of all, I'm glad you weren't injured. Also, I'm not blaming you or suggesting that in any way. But, I have not heard of a fender causing a tire to lock up. Also, tires don't lock up themselves, the brakes cause it. Brakes are, by design, controlled by the person holding the handlebars. You may not feel that it was a panic stop but you likely hit both brakes hard enough to cause them to lock up.

Is it possible you had to avoid the tailgate because you were following too closely?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:50 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

I think your sport bike had ABS your HD don't buy a newer bike

Old 04-27-2016, 08:59 AM
S/G Racer
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Is it possible you had to avoid the tailgate because you were following too closely?
In hindsight sure...but I used the same following distance I've been using the past 25+ years of riding...albeit on a completely different bike. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would gauge the stop a 7. Harder than one would typically encounter on an everyday ride, but not one most riders haven't experienced.

The front fender having any involvement seems unlikely based upon the feedback I'm getting here. But I figured it was worth posting since at least one rider had it happen.

Regardless of the actual cause (poor equipment, rider error or combination of both) I intend on replacing the tires, since I'm quite sure after 18 years, they can't be fully trusted.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

Regardless of the actual cause (poor equipment, rider error or combination of both) I intend on replacing the tires, since I'm quite sure after 18 years, they can't be fully trusted.
If those are 18 year old tires I would surely replace them. Not sure that they had anything to do with the lock up though.

Quick Reply: Braking Issue - Front Tire Lock Up