Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Springer Newbie (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1113362-springer-newbie.html)

hdelectra 04-30-2016 10:28 PM

Springer Newbie

So help me out, I purchased a 2004 Softail Springer yesterday, but have yet to pick it up. What kind of ride can I expect out of it versus a traditional shock front end? I've always loved the look of the Springers and have wanted one for many years, so when the opportunity to pick one up presented itself, I jumped on it.

I've always ridden Touring bikes in the past but my knees and back have gotten to a point where I just can't do the heavy bikes any longer.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe_G 04-30-2016 11:13 PM

Welcome to the Springer club!

I came from a Road King to a springer too. I love the old school look. They ride great, you do need to check the rocker drag every 10,000 miles (recommended). It's easy to do, the service manual tells you how. I had my HD dealer check mine and check my fall away (neck bearing adjustment), they charged 3 hours and it took them right about that so I cannot complain. I'll do it myself next time.

Now I don't like to give bad news so I hope I'm wrong on this... but frankly I find my springer heavier to pick up off the stand than my Road King and not as nimble at slow speeds. It does turn sharper, and I have no trouble with mine, but after I got it I was amazed how light the Road King felt at slow speeds but very stable on the highway. I'd say the Road King is more stable on the highway, but the Springer is just fine too, not quite as rock steady but close. I do have the 16" FL Springer so it doesn't follow ruts.

I hope your 21" springer will be lighter at low speeds than mine as mine is NOT as nimble as my Road King in parking lots and very slow speeds.

I know my words are not going to be welcome, I really hope your experience is different than mine. I will say I love my Springer and don't plan to go back and I hope yours doesn't bother you. Good news is, Springers seem to hold their value or even go up a little so that's good if you end up not loving it.

Please do keep us posted. Perhaps the 21" wheel will make a good difference. And if you decide to do the rocker service yourself, I can dig up a how to video for you.

uklauren 05-01-2016 08:03 AM

this is a good forum too http://www.heritagespringer.com/foru...s.php/ubb/cfrm

I agree with Joe, the front end of the Heritage Springer is heavy, maybe the Softail Springer is less heavy I don't know. You get a little bounce from the front end when you go over bumps. I slightly overinflate my front tire to about 38psi rather than 36 which I think makes it more stable.

Post pics when you get it.

back again 05-01-2016 09:05 AM

I find my FX Evo lighter in the front end lighter than a friends Heritage springer. I think the bars you run to make a difference along with your height and weight.Hard to compare with everyone being different.

Zambo5000 05-01-2016 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 15100225)
Welcome to the Springer club!

Please do keep us posted. Perhaps the 21" wheel will make a good difference. And if you decide to do the rocker service yourself, I can dig up a how to video for you.

I would be interested in that video if you come across it.

Jetlag 05-01-2016 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zambo5000 (Post 15102134)
I would be interested in that video if you come across it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ii3zcyyq8...rk+Service.m4v

Tailsfrommycrib 05-01-2016 10:17 PM

Never ridden a Springer but I would really like too. All I can say is Springers are becoming more and more rare so being an owner is really cool. Congrats on the super cool ride

hdelectra 05-01-2016 11:03 PM

I picked the bike up today. Of course it was raining (new bike hex) but rode home from the dealer nonetheless. First impressions were that the bike is pretty stinkin' awesome.

Personally, I thought the ride was very smooth with the exception of largish bumps. It may have taken those a little less gracefully than my previous touring bikes, but not by much.

I found no problem maneuvering the bike at slower speeds, so maybe the 21" font wheel does make a difference? I will say though that I'm 6' and 245 lbs so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

After the rain broke, the wife hopped on and we took it for a short 40 mile 2-up ride. The bike still handled very elegantly. Although after we pick up the wife's new to her '13 Switchback on Tuesday, 2-ups will be a thing of the past.

All I know is, is that I'm looking forward to putting many miles on her.

I will post some pics of Sammy after I get her cleaned up from the rainy rides.

Thanks for the responses!

SPRINGER 05-02-2016 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by hdelectra (Post 15103492)
I picked the bike up today. Of course it was raining (new bike hex) but rode home from the dealer nonetheless. First impressions were that the bike is pretty stinkin' awesome.

Personally, I thought the ride was very smooth with the exception of largish bumps. It may have taken those a little less gracefully than my previous touring bikes, but not by much.

I found no problem maneuvering the bike at slower speeds, so maybe the 21" font wheel does make a difference? I will say though that I'm 6' and 245 lbs so I'm sure that plays into it as well.

After the rain broke, the wife hopped on and we took it for a short 40 mile 2-up ride. The bike still handled very elegantly. Although after we pick up the wife's new to her '13 Switchback on Tuesday, 2-ups will be a thing of the past.

All I know is, is that I'm looking forward to putting many miles on her.

I will post some pics of Sammy after I get her cleaned up from the rainy rides.

Thanks for the responses!

Glad to hear about your first impressions with your new to you Springer. I bought my Springer (FXSTS) in 05 and this May I'll have had her for 11 years. In 10 years I've put a little over 95k on her and I only ride when I feel like it otherwise the mileage would be much higher. We are similar in size, I am 6' but weight around 265. I've ridden cross country from Oregon to Sturgis, among other places and enjoyed every mile of it. I probably could go on and on but to keep it simple, after 10 years and 95k, I wouldn't trade my Springer for any other Harley out there. Besides being very comfy for me, with the springer front forks my bike also has a nostalgic look to it and that's what I also like. Enjoy your new ride.

NTA 05-02-2016 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jetlag (Post 15103183)

Thank you

Congrats nice bike !