Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Clear Transmission Fluid (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1120961-clear-transmission-fluid.html)

whit1977 06-12-2016 01:27 AM

Clear Transmission Fluid

Last year I bought my First Springer a 92 FXSTS , I bought it just after someone had traded it in for something newer, and the Dealership had just finished checking it out , anyway right after I bought it I was transferred halfway across the country, so its been sitting in storage now for 6 months and I finally get the time to get it out, I was checking the fluids when I discovered that the Transmission fluid was completely Clear (as water) I cannot seem to find any references to a clear transmission fluid , synthetic or conventional???
Has anybody ever seen this???
All other fluids seem normal color.

Thanks

S.D.M.F 06-12-2016 02:23 AM

Drain it and put in what you want.
Piece of mind knowing whats in there, and when it was put in there.

In a very simplistic description... ATF - Transmission Fluid is really just hydraulic fluid with red dye in it to help identify it.

splattttttt 06-12-2016 06:57 AM

Castrol developed Transynd, which is used in the transmissions of some buses. It is a synthetic fluid and is clear, not red.
There are others.

Notgrownup 06-12-2016 07:04 AM

Every gear oil I have ever used was a bit yellow. Ask them.

nhrider1 06-12-2016 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by whit1977 (Post 15230863)
Last year I bought my First Springer a 92 FXSTS , I bought it just after someone had traded it in for something newer, and the Dealership had just finished checking it out , anyway right after I bought it I was transferred halfway across the country, so its been sitting in storage now for 6 months and I finally get the time to get it out, I was checking the fluids when I discovered that the Transmission fluid was completely Clear (as water) I cannot seem to find any references to a clear transmission fluid , synthetic or conventional???
Has anybody ever seen this???
All other fluids seem normal color.

Thanks

If I remember correctly, HD transmission fluid is clear. If in doubt, just change it to the fluid of your choice.

hdbob2006 06-12-2016 04:43 PM

I use HD fluid in mine,and it's so clear it's almost impossible to see it on the dipstick.

Uncle G. 06-13-2016 12:01 PM

I stopped using H-D transmission fluid some years back when they discontinued the old "semi-synthetic" and started recommending "Formula+". I have noticed that H-D "heavy" fork oil USED to be amber but now it's clear.

Idahokid 10-06-2016 07:50 AM

Lucas Harley transmission oil is also clear.

hattitude 10-07-2016 05:14 PM

I use Valvoline SynPower synthetic gear oil, 75W-90, in the transmissions of both my Harleys.

It is crystal clear...... so clear, that it's a pain in the butt to read on the dip stick....

splattttttt 10-07-2016 08:33 PM

Probably why it might be better to not use a clear lube?