Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wears a full face?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:27 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VTME13
I'm a FF rider, too.

Moved into HD's from the sportbike world and just carried over most of the gear. Just this past year I backed down on the jacket and boots a little bit.
thats ok tho i went and got a espinozas baller jacket and wear a kelvar long sleeve shirt under...wear my broken homme boots with steel heel and toe as well...i do wear kelvar jeans as well sometimes..but always a bell carbon race star or my carbon ghost bandit & gloves mostly my a-stars lol

Old 02-21-2018, 11:54 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

+1 on FF I like my teeth where they are And it is quieter

Old 02-22-2018, 02:04 AM
jusa
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on FF. More comfortable, quieter - and safer. Warm when it's cold, and cool when it's hot, if you got your ventilation channels right. Lots of cool designs and colours to choose from. Like frost black ; )

Old 02-22-2018, 06:38 AM
TomcatCV62
Road Warrior
Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

Wow, cool thread. I never wore a helmet when I was younger. I even gave up my 2001 Road King when my son was 5, I was worried about getting hit by a car and not being able to see my son grow up. Now that he's in college, I have since bought my second bike. Im on a dresser and I always wear a helmet. My friends dont and they dont give me any static about wearing one. One night last fall I was getting on the freeway and a truck mustve thrown a rock. Hit me on the front top of the helmet. I knew right away that the helmet saved me from a trip to the emergency room for stitches. I like the 3\4 but I might look into the full face this summer.

Do you guys buy the Harley helmets offered up at the dealer? What brand is best? My 3\4 is a Harley helmet and it feels great and the vents are really nice too.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,812 Likes on 3,037 Posts

as a FF Ive seen the results of those who crashed with out any head protection.Not pretty.I am guilty of not wearing one for a few years even though I saw the results.One day I was given one (full face) as a gift and tried it , wasnt too bad and just started riding with it and got used to it.Now I wont go out with out it on .I call it the oven because its flat black and its sizzling down here in the summer . No doubt a brain broiler .....beats the alternative I figure if and when I go down and hit the big nail fail aka "the road"

Old 02-22-2018, 07:26 AM
GRWHD
Road Warrior
Received 256 Likes on 207 Posts

No, well once every blue moon...

Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 AM
BigRed117
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,049 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by chaselee
I'm far past the whole image thing of being on a Harley with a FF on. Problem now (as stated earlier) is I feel less safe with it on because of the peripheral vision. Guess I need to try more helmets.
I agree with you. A full face makes me feel too enclosed and reduces my vision dramatically. In the winter I will wear a full face but in the summer I go with a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet. I get much better vision and of course much lighter and cooler.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TomcatCV62
Wow, cool thread. I never wore a helmet when I was younger. I even gave up my 2001 Road King when my son was 5, I was worried about getting hit by a car and not being able to see my son grow up. Now that he's in college, I have since bought my second bike. Im on a dresser and I always wear a helmet. My friends dont and they dont give me any static about wearing one. One night last fall I was getting on the freeway and a truck mustve thrown a rock. Hit me on the front top of the helmet. I knew right away that the helmet saved me from a trip to the emergency room for stitches. I like the 3\4 but I might look into the full face this summer.

Do you guys buy the Harley helmets offered up at the dealer? What brand is best? My 3\4 is a Harley helmet and it feels great and the vents are really nice too.
I bought a Bell Matte Black Qualifier last year from Dennis Kirk and it has been a great helmet with lots of ventilation and has a blue tooth port for comms. Came with both clear and smoke shields but I believe you can get it with a transitions shield now. I was never really happy with the HD offerings.

https://www.denniskirk.com/dk/produc...3d27a34eb5.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by SJ12DS:
TomcatCV62 (02-22-2018), Torky_SOB (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 AM
Decker72
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I wear a Bilt modular full face through most of the year. For the really hot days, I throw on my Fulmer 3/4.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:37 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
Will never be without a full-face helmet. Crashes are just one reason. Someone earlier was worried about what they'd look like with a full-face on a Harley? Just think about what you'll look like for the rest of your life if you get in a crash without that full-face helmet, and your face is scraped off on the highway...

In any case, like I said, crashes are just one reason. Rocks are another -- been hit by rocks kicked up by cars on the highway, it feels like a damn bullet hit. Absolutely will take out your teeth or an eye.

And another reason? June bug season here in Texas. You can be merrily driving along and then this happens:

I've stood by the side of the road, staring in my bike's mirror and trying to pick bugs out of my eyes before, it's not all that fun.

For me, it's ATGATT, and that means a full-face at all times.

Years ago I lifted the visor of my full face briefly to clear some steam off the inside of the visor, and was hit in the eye doing about 65 by a big fat locust. It was the most painful thing. It hurt so bad it took everything I had just to slow the bike down to a stop. I just wanted to lay the bike down doing 55 and put pressure on my eye. I finally got the bike to stop and just dropped the bike in the grass then pressed on my eyeball with my hand to make it feel better. F that hurt! I was picking exoskeleton out of my eyes for at least a week. The white of my eye turned all weird colors, was swollen, and was filled with mucus. I took time off work. That was some painful stuff.

Last edited by SixDD; 02-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Who wears a full face?