Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Ultima drop in 6-speed gear set woes.... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/1151460-ultima-drop-in-6-speed-gear-set-woes.html)

Michael yaRoberts 12-27-2016 12:44 PM

Ultima drop in 6-speed gear set woes....

I'm having problems with my Ultima slide in kit...it upshifts like a dream..but won't downshift for shit...clunks and shifts into neutral in every gear....you have to double tap every downshift...was installed at Tripps Harley Davidson in Amarillo..they can't Figure it out...told me if have to live with it the way it is...it sux the way it is...I'm no mechanic...but the directions from Ultima seem to be straight forward....can't figure out why three Tripps to the shop and they gave up and said it won't get better than it is...I know these aren't the most expensive kits...but I just feel something hasn't been done properly.

QC 12-27-2016 12:47 PM

Hmmm. After watching a Baker DD6 install video, I would think that the shifter pawl is out of adjustment. I don't know if there is an adjustment on the Ultima though.
Have you contacted Ultima?

corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com 12-27-2016 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by QC (Post 15785722)
Hmmm. After watching a Baker DD6 install video, I would think that the shifter pawl is out of adjustment. I don't know if there is an adjustment on the Ultima though.
Have you contacted Ultima?

:icon_ditto: That would be my guess as well.

Da-Rza 21 12-27-2016 10:09 PM

has to be out of adjustment used plenty of ultima motors & trannys never an issue with either one...even with a 127 & 147

tmilo1000 12-28-2016 10:42 AM

I am surprised a HD Dealer would install a non-HD transmission. Sounds like its an adjustment. Look for an Indy in your area that knows a thing or two about transmissions. Personally I would have gone with a Baker or HD Screaming Eagle gear set. Could be when its all said and done you have not saved much money.

rjmac53 12-28-2016 11:57 AM

Please keep us posted on any fix...

Deadof_knight 09-05-2017 06:26 PM

Shifter paw out of adjustment ...... Harley shop installed it for the money and will claim to know nothing bout the problem..... mine gave me hell over having a thundermax .....

ledo 12-07-2017 05:16 PM

Ultima drop in 6 speed builders kit

Originally Posted by Michael yaRoberts (Post 15785716)
I'm having problems with my Ultima slide in kit...it upshifts like a dream..but won't downshift for shit...clunks and shifts into neutral in every gear....you have to double tap every downshift...was installed at Tripps Harley Davidson in Amarillo..they can't Figure it out...told me if have to live with it the way it is...it sux the way it is...I'm no mechanic...but the directions from Ultima seem to be straight forward....can't figure out why three Tripps to the shop and they gave up and said it won't get better than it is...I know these aren't the most expensive kits...but I just feel something hasn't been done properly.

Have you installing a adjustable shift pawl pin and adjusting it in 3rd gear. I had that same problem and this fixed mine