Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

American Elite Tires

Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by bone doc
they can put 3 inches of tread on a tire and there will still be discussions of who gets the best mileage.
good one !!!!

Old 07-12-2018, 12:29 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

So here's what happened to me;
I bought a pair of Amer Elites a few months ago. I like em !!!
They ride smooth, the whole bit.
I had a flat on the freeway a couple weeks ago. Rear tire . A nail.
It actually got pretty squirrelly. I was close to home. So I was able
to nurse it home on back streets. I was gonna call for a tow, but I figured
I gotta repl the tire anyways . . .
So here's my deal. This happened to me several years ago when I was still in San Jose.
I had the stock 402's at that time. With that stiff sidewall, I could barely tell it was flat.
Those things are practically run-flats.
Granted, the 402's ride harder (but ca'mon-It's a Heritage Softail. It rides like a Mack
Truck anyways) But (for me) the piece of mind having that sturdier tire back there is
better. So I'll run a 402 (at least in the rear)
I think the stk 402 in the front is the thing that follows all the rain grooves. Since that tread
doesn't match the rear anyways, I don't see a problem running a 402 in the rear and an AE
up front.
One more thing. I will never (EVER) own another motorcycle with spoke wheels !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by byersmtrco; 07-12-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Kuz I can't Speel
Old 07-12-2018, 01:32 PM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
Being dual compound, they handle great in the dry and good in the wet .
Only the rear is dual compound

Old 07-12-2018, 01:55 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Ryan Urlacher's take on tires this week

Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,375 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
So here's what happened to me;
I bought a pair of Amer Elites a few months ago. I like em !!!
They ride smooth, the whole bit.
I had a flat on the freeway a couple weeks ago. Rear tire . A nail.
It actually got pretty squirrelly.
So here's my deal. This happened to me several years ago when I was still in San Jose.
I had the stock 402's at that time. With that stiff sidewall, I could barely tell it was flat.
Those things are practically run-flats.
Granted, the 402's ride harder (but ca'mon-It's a Heritage Softail. It rides like a Mack
Truck anyways) But (for me) the piece of mind having that sturdier tire back there is
better. So I'll run a 402 (at least in the rear)
Perhaps they are different for the softail sizes, but in the touring sizes, the American Elites have a stiffer sidewall than the OEM Dunlops....

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would suggest that comparing non run-flat tires on how they performed when they were going/gone flat isn't really an accurate comparison for two reasons. First, trying to evaluate it in an area that is clearly outside the scope of it's design probably won't give repeatable results. (like riding on a flat tire that is not designed for it) Each occurrence could/ probably would give drastically different results. You will get a better gauge of a tire when testing it in a way it was designed to perform. Two, no two flat tires are the same..... hole size, placement, speed of air loss, amount of air loss, etc., etc.... impossible to get an apples to apples comparison.... FWIW....

Last edited by hattitude; 07-16-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

Originally Posted by hattitude
Perhaps they are different for the softail sizes, but in the touring sizes, the American Elites have a stiffer sidewall than the OEM Dunlops....

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would suggest that comparing non run-flat tires on how they performed when they were going/gone flat isn't really an accurate comparison for two reasons. First, trying to evaluate it in an area that is clearly outside the scope of it's design probably won't give repeatable results. (like riding on a flat tire that is not designed for it) Each occurrence could/ probably would give drastically different results. You will get a better gauge of a tire when testing it in a way it was designed to perform. Two, no two flat tires are the same..... hole size, placement, speed of air loss, amount of air loss, etc., etc.... impossible to get an apples to apples comparison.... FWIW....
Good information
Well technically non of them are run flats, Just having the same incident with each.
I did compare the two side by side. The sidewall of the rear 402 is thicker than .
the AE. 1/16 - 1/8 ?? Enough for me. It is a beefier tire (heavier too)
Ran it yesterday. It does ride harder than the AE. No ? there.
Fine with me !!!

Old 10-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Thumbs up

The "new" and "current" pictures are below. I now have exactly 10,000 miles of mostly highway riding on the tire and there is still a little over 1/16" of tread left in the center. If the bike needed to be inspected, I'd replace it, but since it doesn't I'm going to go ahead and run the tire another 1K-2K miles, maybe a little more and call it done. I'd say the little extra cost was well worth it.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-27-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Duel post. Ignore..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 10-27-2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Pitbul Dallas, They look like tires on Florida bikes. Worn flat in center, hardly any wear on edges. You need to find some roads with only curves to ride for a while!

Talk about tire wear and pushing your luck. My son just rode his King down from NC for Biketoberfest, some 500+ miles. He wasn't here but a few hours when his rear started to shimmy and shake. A quick look showed he was riding on exposed chords. Fortunately he was able to get a new tire installed at an Indy shop in New Smyrna at a very reasonable cost. Not satisfied because the replacemnt tire was a blackwall and he had WWW's, he imediately traded his 207 RK for a 2016 Street Gluide so both ties matched.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by FrankEV
They look like tires on Florida bikes. Worn flat in center, hardly any wear on edges. You need to find some roads with only curves to ride for a while!

Talk about tire wear and pushing your luck. My son just rode his King down from NC for Biketoberfest, some 500+ miles. He wasn't here but a few hours when his rear started to shimmy and shake. A quick look showed he was riding on exposed chords. Fortunately he was able to get a new tire installed at an Indy shop in New Smyrna at a very reasonable cost. Not satisfied because the replacemnt tire was a blackwall and he had WWW's, he imediately traded his 207 RK for a 2016 Street Gluide so both ties matched.
Funny. I've only had one tire that wore evenly and it was a 402. A very large part of the mileage was mountain riding. There are plenty of curves around here and I ride them, but there's lots of long straightish roads and high speeds. That eats the middle out of them..