Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   '99 Fatboy shock adj.? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/116661-99-fatboy-shock-adj.html)

vabubba 06-03-2007 09:55 AM

'99 Fatboy shock adj.?

I'm looking to lower my Fatboy and was going to order a lowering kit, but when I looked under there I see about 10-12 threads showing and a jamb nut. Are these adjustable? I think they are stock? Can I lower my bike with these or do I go ahead and order the kit?

RACKnRAIL 06-03-2007 10:53 AM

RE: '99 Fatboy shock adj.?

The kit will only bring it down an inchand a bit,at best. I am not sure of your goal here, but my friend did the same thing to his FB and didn't like it because he scraped around corners after lowering the bike. He has since removed the kit and customed his seat and bars, to accommodate his height disadvantage, which he is much happier with.

vabubba 06-03-2007 11:33 AM

I only want to go about an inch or so down. There are like I said about 10 - 12 threads and a jamb nut and I'm not sure if it can be powered like this, or do I need to buy the kit. Does your frind want to sell his kit?

dmac1968 06-03-2007 12:00 PM

Are you intending to put forward controls on as well? If not, please note that my mate put a lowering kit on his and he scraped his floorboards so much the first ride that he immediately ordered forward controls. He is happy now but HATED the lowered rear with the stock floorboards.

Regards,
DeanO

michaelbarry 06-03-2007 02:00 PM

I don't have a problem with scraping the floorboards so much as I do draggin' my damn longshots[:@] ...I drag the left floorboard occasionally but on the right side, the bottom pipe is bent a bit flat and scraped all to hell. I was told that the bike is lowered, and it does look it a bit..but I don't know how to tell for sure. I would like to raise it a bit, because i'm a fatty.:D

RACKnRAIL 06-03-2007 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: vabubba

I only want to go about an inch or so down. There are like I said about 10 - 12 threads and a jamb nut and I'm not sure if it can be powered like this, or do I need to buy the kit. Does your frind want to sell his kit?
My friend would probably sell his kit. I'm in Canada though, so shipping will be an additional cost. I can ask him if you like?

vabubba 06-03-2007 03:16 PM

ORIGINAL: RACKnRAIL

ORIGINAL: vabubba

My friend would probably sell his kit. I'm in Canada though, so shipping will be an additional cost. I can ask him if you like?
That would be cool if you would do that for me. I would appreciate it! My zip is 23024. I'm not sure how much shipping would be. Thanks bro

vabubba 06-03-2007 11:18 PM

Anybody got any ideas on this shock adjustment? I do believe they are stock shocks. Someone help a brother out.

shortfatboy 06-03-2007 11:49 PM

I wouldn't adjust the shocks, that is preload You're playin with there...I'd do the kit, because I don't think it'd drop a whole inch just moving the jam nuts...the ride kinda gets rough with the possibility of bottoming out being greater the lower You go...

RACKnRAIL 06-04-2007 12:30 AM

With the kit it will scrape on corners if you're not careful.