Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Bike - Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 PM
skian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Bike - Dead Battery

I went to pickup my 2017 Fatboy S from the dealer today. When I went to fire it up, the battery was dead. I bought the bike back in December, and it's been sitting across the street in their warehouse waiting for me to get it for the last 4 months. I asked the salesman if they left the battery hooked up the whole time, and he said no, they just hooked it up 2 days ago. He said it was likely it would have been on a battery tender since December. He then told me that the security system on the new bikes drains the battery in 2 days. He ended up boosting the bike to get it going for me.

I live in a condo, and it may be difficult for me to get power. I know it's better for the bike to always be hooked up to the tender, but I never used one on my last bike and never had any problems. I always just disconnected the battery in the winter.

I find it absurd that the bike can't even hold a charge for 2 days. Do you guys who have bikes with security systems find this to be true? I wouldn't have bought a new Harley if I'd known this.

Old 04-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I just started my bike and it's been sitting off the tender for 3 weeks.

Whomever told you that the battery only last for 2 days is full of $hit.

Last edited by Bluraven; 04-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:11 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Smile

i would ask for a new battery.. you are always going to have trouble with that battery . i have a 2010 fatboy lol i just replace my battery not bad

Old 04-08-2017, 06:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Nothing wrong with the Harley (other than they need to give you a new battery), the problem is a sales person who either lied to you or is just ignorant.

I have security and have let it sit months, NOT on a tender, and it starts right up.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-08-2017, 07:46 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Minor battery draw from the alarm system. I've had mine untenedeed for over a month and it starts right up. My battery is 3 years old. Salesman lied.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:01 PM
rowan
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The Salesman was FOS,
The Dealership should take care of a new Battery for you.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:43 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

New bike, in HD possession until the weather was suitable, ie they stored it for you, that normally means they keep the batteries on a tender. They obviously didn't and i don't want to start off with a new bike and a dead battery.

Common sense, simple logic, they didn't do their job, so they should definitely install a new battery. Don't settle for a charged dead battery.

Hopefully another HD dealer not too far away, the sales persons response, i could chalk that up to his ignorance and he really won't impact my bike, battery dead, service dept sleeping on the job, they could affect my bike.

Last edited by 68 XLCH; 04-08-2017 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 10:38 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,403 Likes on 4,013 Posts

Originally Posted by skian
I went to pickup my 2017 Fatboy S from the dealer today. When I went to fire it up, the battery was dead. I bought the bike back in December, and it's been sitting across the street in their warehouse waiting for me to get it for the last 4 months. I asked the salesman if they left the battery hooked up the whole time, and he said no, they just hooked it up 2 days ago.

He said it was likely it would have been on a battery tender since December. He then told me that the security system on the new bikes drains the battery in 2 days. He ended up boosting the bike to get it going for me.
As mentioned, the salesman is extremely ignorant, or flat out lying... the alarm draw will not kill a GOOD battery in two days.

When a battery is allowed to reach low voltage , and is left at low voltage, it negatively affects the ability of a battery to recharge and hold that charge...

They killed a good battery by letting it sit for 4 months, and now it seems they are trying to avoid responsibility by blaming the security system....

Test the resting charge of the battery.... fully charge it, disconnect it from all charging and draining sources, let it sit for an hour. Then measure the voltage: 12.65 volts+ will be a good battery / 12.24 volts is a battery with 50% charge / 11.89 volts or less is dead...

Or...... you can charge it, disconnect it, and use a battery load tester...

I'm gonna bet you have a weak or bad battery...

If they won't give you a new battery, call HD and talk with customer assistance... tell them what this dealer is trying to pull....

Good luck...

Last edited by hattitude; 04-09-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 PM
skian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone. Just got off the phone with the salesman. They're going to install a new battery for me.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:46 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,797 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
I just started my bike and it's been sitting off the tender for 3 weeks.

Whomever told you that the battery only last for 2 days is full of $hit.

Well, he did say it was a salesman. Enough said. I tried to trade one of my bikes over the weekend and salesman said my tail lights weren't working properly. He said the center light was working but the rear running lights (turn signals) weren't. I told him that they were single function 1156 bulbs and I got the deer in the headlights look.

Quick Reply: Brand New Bike - Dead Battery