Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

16" apes on slim S clutch and brake line

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:06 PM
firestop52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 16" apes on slim S clutch and brake line

Sorry I posted this in tech forums as well but I am getting desperate. I already have my bike apart!
Has anyone put 16" apes on a Slim S? I'm having trouble finding the clutch and upper brake lines. I even went to harley and the part #s for their 16" ape kit are wrong. I got a too short clutch and a lower front brake line. I'm thinkin I need a 44" upper front brake line and a 72" clutch line. Bike has ABS and hydraulic clutch. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Will be doing this same thing soon. Man, really the best (only) way to get the RIGHT lengths is to wire up the bars and install them, use a tailors tape to measure exactly the lengths you want based on the routing that YOU want to use. Taking others advice could cost you in this department. Ask me how I know, lol. I’ve done several sets of Apes, and this method is the only good way.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 AM
firestop52
Cruiser

Thanks Brother, I have also installed several sets of Apes and I know what Lengths I need. I'm just having trouble finding the lines. especially the upper brake line. I'm going to go try a local shop that makes them. I just doubt it because of the fitting on the bottom of upper line that connects to the abs. Thanks for the advice though you are absolutely right.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:29 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I got my brake line for my 2016 Fat Boy from Magnum Shielding. It terminates at the bottom end with a female flare fitting and comes with a "J" shaped adapter with the banjo on one end for the ABS unit and the male flare on the other end for the upper line to connect to.

Old 04-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Mother
Road Captain

I just went to their site and it was kinda hard to find the adapter, so here's a link...

https://www.magnumshielding.com/Brak...es/absadaptors

Brake line can be found searching by make and model.

The following users liked this post:
pigfoot63 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by firestop52
Thanks Brother, I have also installed several sets of Apes and I know what Lengths I need. I'm just having trouble finding the lines. especially the upper brake line. I'm going to go try a local shop that makes them. I just doubt it because of the fitting on the bottom of upper line that connects to the abs. Thanks for the advice though you are absolutely right.
Ah, right on, I misunderstood. Here's another vote for magnum shielding, always had good luck. Cheers

Old 04-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Cxmoney
Advanced

I will be putting on some 14" or 16" carlini apes on my slim s as well. Hopefully I am able to get the lines I need. Please keep us updated!! Would be perfect if you could list everything you've got and where as that would help me out for when I get mine!

Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM
Mother
Road Captain

Magnum sells a full kit that comes with the brake and clutch lines and the wire extensions. I had an issue with the turn signal extensions on mine as Harley changed the type of terminals that go into the plugs at some point but I notified them about that over a year ago so they have most likely updated their kits for that by now.

Last edited by Mother; 04-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Cxmoney
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mother
Magnum sells a full kit that comes with the brake and clutch lines and the wire extensions. I had an issue with the turn signal extensions on mine as Harley changed the type of terminals that go into the plugs at some point but I notified them about that over a year ago so they have most likely updated their kits for that by now.
Does your bike have the hydraulic clutch and ABS by chance?

Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Mother
Road Captain

Yes on ABS, no on hydraulic clutch.

Quick Reply: 16" apes on slim S clutch and brake line