Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Deluxe seat is a literal pain in the arse.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 PM
ccain529
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
At least she didn't poop on it... Then you would really need a new seat.
One too many vowels, not enough consonants. I have sausage fingers and type too fast.

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
How does her mustang seat feel to you on long rides?
I couldn't tell you, I've only ever ridden it up and down the street. She loves it, but it fits my undercarriage like vice grips.

The following users liked this post:
Yamaharley (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Tractor style seat makes for a very comfy ride on a Softail. If you like the look.

Nice bike!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:26 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by ccain529
Nice bike!
Thanks. I'm serious about the comfort of the tractor seat. A cushy seat that you sink into will cause a lot of pain. A firm seat that allows you to move around keeps the nerves around the ilium from getting aggravated. That bike has been good for several 800 + mile days on the way to and from Sturgis.

ccain529 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

Thanks. I'm serious about the comfort of the tractor seat. A cushy seat that you sink into will cause a lot of pain. A firm seat that allows you to move around keeps the nerves around the ilium from getting aggravated. That bike has been good for several 800 + mile days on the way to and from Sturgis.
That makes a lot of sense.

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the Cross Bones models. Looks like you've changed out the factory tractor seat. Is that true?

If so, could you tell me who manufacturers your seat? Also, did you retain the OEM Cross Bones seat pan?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by ccain529
That makes a lot of sense.

I'm a little ignorant when it comes to the Cross Bones models. Looks like you've changed out the factory tractor seat. Is that true?

If so, could you tell me who manufacturers your seat? Also, did you retain the OEM Cross Bones seat pan?
That's a Corbin Gentry replica of the WLA seat from WWII. That is known as the "1925" style seat, and was used from the 20's to late Shovels (sometimes with skirts) as police seats. If you don't need the brown, they made a lot of the black ones and they can be had for relatively cheap.

Interestingly enough, I ditched the stock Crossbones seat because it had too much padding and didn't allow me to move around.

You can mount these seats with springs, or mount them like the old pogo stick set-up. This is a very easy install.
Amazon Amazon
The ad says you have to drill and tap the frame, but you don't. It bolts into stock holes for front grounds, and rear gas tank mount. Good luck.

ccain529 (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
ccain529
Cruiser

That's a Corbin Gentry replica of the WLA seat from WWII. That is known as the "1925" style seat, and was used from the 20's to late Shovels (sometimes with skirts) as police seats. If you don't need the brown, they made a lot of the black ones and they can be had for relatively cheap.

Interestingly enough, I ditched the stock Crossbones seat because it had too much padding and didn't allow me to move around.

You can mount these seats with springs, or mount them like the old pogo stick set-up. This is a very easy install. https://www.amazon.com/V-Twin-31-031.../dp/B008IK7EHG The ad says you have to drill and tap the frame, but you don't. It bolts into stock holes for front grounds, and rear gas tank mount. Good luck.
Outstanding. Thanks! I'll definitely look into this.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 PM
Pachuco
Cruiser
Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I put a tractor seat on my Deluxe...and all I can say is it's like sitting in the palm of God's hand. I can ride for hours and hours now.

ccain529 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 06:42 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

As said before Mean City Cycles (MCC). I too like the look of the stock seat and i have a springer grabrail that looks awsome. They did exactly what you want done and added gel foam for approx $125. I now can ride forever. It does seem that the seat gets a little warm after a long while and i think that might be the gel, not sure. Its not bad however. Check out their website and search them here. Lots of testimonials.

ccain529 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:59 AM
07 deluxe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wide Mustang was the most comfortable seat I have had. A bit bigger than the stock seat and it had a back rest but looked good on my deluxe. My bike looked a lot like yours at the time. I have the day tripper now and it's comfortable but not like the big one was. None of the mustangs I have had were soft and cushy. I would try the spring seat but need the back rest. I checked a shop here a number of years ago and the number was upward of 250 to work on the seat, at 125 it sounds like a good option especially if keeping the look is what you want.. Good luck.

ccain529 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
crouch38
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem as you with back problems & siatic nerve pain . I ride a 2005 softail deluxe & couldn't ride more than 10 to 20 miles with the stock seat .
I got a springer softail stock seat & put the tall backrest on it . It looks awesome & lets you move back about 2 inches ,for more leg room.
I also put a leather tour pac, with solo mount on it . Which lets me lean back onto it & the backrest to take pressure off my lower back .
Very satisfied with the comfort & looks now .
Hope this helps you stay in the saddle longer , as i did me . Bob

ccain529 (04-21-2017)

Quick Reply: Stock Deluxe seat is a literal pain in the arse.