Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 08:23 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by Javi20017
I have a 03 fatboy and want to switch to a smoothie fuel gauge and cap. Who other than Harley makes them and what luck have you guys had with them. Thanks guys
Easier to just throw a combo tach/speedo in, fuel gauge is much better on it than the stock gauge.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:36 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 25-06
Just saw the title to this thread and thought I'd take a minute to respond.

I've been looking for something too, and I'm afraid I can't say which setup is the "best", but I can certainly provide my less-than-impressed opinion on the HD flush-mount fuel cap and fuel gauge (Part# 62823-06C).

I just bought and received that kit this week, and its going back, post-haste! I've never seen such junk in my life! The stock setup on my Slim is vastly superior in weight, finish and overall quality, and given the problems widely reported with the flush-mount kit, I'd suggest staying far away from it (e.g., the finished chrome rings that are supposed to seat against the tank surface don't seat properly (not fully flush), the instructions on wiring the gauge are absolutely 'bleak' (its not a simple hook-up), and perhaps worst of all, the LEDs on the gauge are reportedly failing on people within days or weeks). For $210??? I think not!
3 color coded wires in a 4 place connector and you need DETAILED instructions? Here ya go:
Take them out of stock connector housing,
Remove stock gauge,
Pull wires for new gauge through tank,
Install them back where they came from!
As far as the finished chrome ring goes, theres an arrow cast into the bottom of it, point arrow forward and rotate the ring back and forth until you find where it sits flush...install it there! The LEDs going out problem hasnt happened in years....and yes, I've installed a couple hundred of them!

Old 04-30-2017, 02:08 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I've had the flush mount fuel gauge and cap since the bike was delivered. I have not had one problem. It looks and functions today, five years later, just like it did then.

<snip>

I just bought and received that kit this week, and its going back, post-haste! I've never seen such junk in my life! The stock setup on my Slim is vastly superior in weight, finish and overall quality, and given the problems widely reported with the flush-mount kit, I'd suggest staying far away from it (e.g., the finished chrome rings that are supposed to seat against the tank surface don't seat properly (not fully flush), the instructions on wiring the gauge are absolutely 'bleak' (its not a simple hook-up), and perhaps worst of all, the LEDs on the gauge are reportedly failing on people within days or weeks). For $210??? I think not!
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. The fact is, the flush-mount gas cap and fuel gauge kit is no different than the auxiliary light kits or lowering kits or turn signal and license plate relocation kits for the Slim . . . there's a HUGE difference between having your dealer install them and installing them yourself.

And as I said earlier, the instructions provided with the flush-mount kit were completely inadequate, particularly as it pertains to the electrical connections for the LED fuel gauge. You're left with bare wires on the LED gauge (no straight-forward plug-in connector), and zero guidance on how to actually make the connections from the gauge to the existing connector on the bike. Some people leave the job to their dealer, others who have nothing else to do fight through it via experimentation, and still others (like me) send the $210 lemon back from whence it came, because they have better things to do. Either way, its all good!
Dude,

It just sounds like you wouldn't be happy no matter what. It's a flush mount fuel gauge, not rocket science. If you can't figure out how to install it, maybe lookup YouTube videos or take it to your dealer.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 AM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

I've had mine on since last year but that's less than a tank ago so I don't have a clue how they're gonna hold up, sure looks nice though. It's still raining here every day, so it'll still be a while before I'm needing gas again. We're settin' snow and rainfall records all over the place, dang!

Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 AM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
3 color coded wires in a 4 place connector and you need DETAILED instructions? Here ya go:
Take them out of stock connector housing,
Remove stock gauge,
Pull wires for new gauge through tank,
Install them back where they came from!
As far as the finished chrome ring goes, theres an arrow cast into the bottom of it, point arrow forward and rotate the ring back and forth until you find where it sits flush...install it there! The LEDs going out problem hasnt happened in years....and yes, I've installed a couple hundred of them!
Wrong, wrong, and wrong again! They weren't colored or"coded", there was no "connector" (they were bare wires) and there's plenty of recent posts on failed LEDs, so . . . "there ya go, Doctor".

But hey, thanks for stppping and for your self-described expert opinion, and best of luck with your next 500 installs! Good for me, good for you?

Old 04-30-2017, 05:18 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again! They weren't colored or"coded", there was no "connector" (they were bare wires) and there's plenty of recent posts on failed LEDs, so . . . "there ya go, Doctor".

But hey, thanks for stppping and for your self-described expert opinion, and best of luck with your next 500 installs! Good for me, good for you?
Bare wires with no colored insulation on a Harley part? Highly unlikely! Black, yellow and orange wires, just like the stock gauge, you can either reuse the connector that you just took off tbe stock gauge OR the one that came in the kit!

Well would you look at that, color coded wires on a stock gauge!

And matching color coded wires on a flush mount LED gauge!

Last edited by hog-doc; 04-30-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:32 PM
25-06
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
Bare wires with no colored insulation on a Harley part? Highly unlikely! Black, yellow and orange wires, just like the stock gauge, you can either reuse the connector that you just took off tbe stock gauge OR the one that came in the kit!

Well would you look at that, color coded wires on a stock gauge!

And matching color coded wires on a flush mount LED gauge!

Um, don't know why this is proving to be such a heavy-lift for you there, Chief, but its the King's English we're speaking here, right? Bare 'ends' of the wires. Will it help if I repeat it? The "ends" of the wires on the kit were BARE (no connector)! Capiche? And yes, the wires on the stock gauge are colored, but those on the kit were not, so I'm afraid your photos and your argument are both pointless, but I'll certainly give you props for your enthusiasm!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Um, don't know why this is proving to be such a heavy-lift for you there, Chief, but its the King's English we're speaking here, right? Bare 'ends' of the wires. Will it help if I repeat it? The "ends" of the wires on the kit were BARE (no connector)! Capiche? And yes, the wires on the stock gauge are colored, but those on the kit were not, so I'm afraid your photos and your argument are both pointless, but I'll certainly give you props for your enthusiasm!
Take a chill pill, dude. I'm with hog-doc here, Your previous posts were misleading at best. If you can't install wire ends yourself, maybe it rocket surgery to you and working on your bike should best be left to professionals. Besides, what isit to you anyway? You got your money back. You may as well go back to the porch and yell at the kids to get off your lawn. Sheesh.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

First he hijacks a thread. Then he cops an attitude with people that obviously have more experience than he does.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:12 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

And how can you have wires on the "kit" not colored? Clear insulation around the wires like cheap speaker wire?

Quick Reply: Best fuel gauge and fuel cap?