Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?

Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM
michman82
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All this talk and seeing that bike makes me want to get out and buy one now.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:57 PM
MFJones
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michman82
All this talk and seeing that bike makes me want to get out and buy one now.
Once you get the fever, there is only one cure. My advice, take the MSF class first because you have to take it regardless. Once you get your license, go to the dealership and test ride a few of them on their riding course, most dealers have one. Just remember, being intimidated by the weight will go away, but it will take some time. My only recommendation is to put the front crash bars on whatever you buy if it doesn't already have them. Mine have saved me 3 times when I have accidentally dropped the bike. Those crash bars are the cheapest thing you will put on your bike and they will save your butt. Plus, you need them for the highway pegs anyway.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

Buy the Heritage, you will fall in love with it. My wife fell asleep on the back of my Heritage and says it was more comfy than the bagger we have now. The bagger feels like you are riding on top of it which you are. The Softail feels like you are a part of it if that makes ant sence. We toured on it and had lots of fun with it. Buy it and have fun

The following users liked this post:
Leaping1 (06-26-2021)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:06 PM
michman82
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MFJones
Once you get the fever, there is only one cure. My advice, take the MSF class first because you have to take it regardless. Once you get your license, go to the dealership and test ride a few of them on their riding course, most dealers have one. Just remember, being intimidated by the weight will go away, but it will take some time. My only recommendation is to put the front crash bars on whatever you buy if it doesn't already have them. Mine have saved me 3 times when I have accidentally dropped the bike. Those crash bars are the cheapest thing you will put on your bike and they will save your butt. Plus, you need them for the highway pegs anyway.
Yes, taking the MSF class starting 5/22/17. Hoping to start serious test riding on memorial weekend and seeing what I really want or feel like I can handle. I know any bike I get I will be somewhat intimidated by. That's half the fun I guess.

My wife will want to ride, anyone willing to come by and take her for a ride?

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:25 PM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd simply echo what Steven Driever expressed very well...

I think for a certain subset of folks, the Heritage is an excellent choice for a first Harley. After finishing the MSF course and getting my license, I had my heart set on getting a touring bike. When I test rode an Electra Glide Classic, it was just too big and heavy for me at that time (I'm 6'1" and 230#). I would have grown into it eventually. But once I drove a Heritage, I knew it was "just right" for me. I didn't spend any time on smaller bikes. Just rode the Heritage everywhere.

With that said, just taking the MSF course and getting your license isn't going to tell you whether you are going to like riding or not. You have to get out and ride quite a bit... in a wide variety of settings and conditions... to know if riding is your thing, or just a passing hobby. I think it's always a good idea to get a less expensive metric bike (or similar), and get your ya-ya's out for a year or two. If it's your first bike in a while, you are going to make a few mistakes, and accidentally drop it a time or two. Best to do that on a low investment bike. Once you have a few miles under your belt and know riding is something you really want to do... then invest in a beautiful Heritage with confidence.

I also like MFJones advice... whatever you get, work into it at your pace... no one else's. I live in an agricultural community. Ton's of empty country roads in every direction. I spent a couple of months and about 1,000 miles just cruising around on quiet country roads before I started getting on the freeway and heading to more distant locales.

I went straight to the Heritage and never looked back. Turned out to be a great decision for me.

Last edited by MysticTraveler; 05-16-2017 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Leaping1 (06-26-2021)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Bought mine in 2013 and bought wife' about 4 months later.

Learned in a parking lot the basics, we both took the course.

The Heritage is so much easier to ride than the bikes they had at the course. Don't waste your time and money on something you don't want.

20k miles later, heading to Glacier Natl park in about a month.

Pulling in after the first ride in an absolute downpour, trying to figure out how to turn the damn blinkers off.

Wife wanted me to give her a ride. Dropped her on the first left hand turn uphill. She got back on and have not dropped her since.

My daughter got me the shirt and she did fall off a little later in the day when I straightened a curve a little to much.<br/><br/>No damage done, except to my pride.<br/><br/>Signed up for the riders course the next day.
Dreamcatcher

This is hers.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-18-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:47 PM
michman82
Intermediate

Love the shirt, I gotta get one of those. You wife fell off the bike? I plan on doing a lot of practicing in parking lots that are empty. My step son volunteered to drive it to anywhere I want to do test riding with it. I will drive his Ninja.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:14 PM
MFJones
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One more thing, riding a lighter bike will not necessarily prepare you for a heavier one. I think that's a misconception. My MSF course had me on a Kawasaki Eliminator 250. The thing was, I think, 350lbs. By the end of the 2nd day, I was riding it like a stunt bike. Went home, the Harley was still heavy as hell.

Taking off, stopping and turning. Focus on getting those down. Clutch control is your friend. Remember, unlike a stick shift in a car, a bike clutch is a wet clutch so it's not only OK to ride it, it is expected. You'll learn some of this in your class. Also, I recommend riding a bicycle for awhile before taking your class. The balance will help you. Not the SAME, but it's the same hand, eye, weight, coordination of senses.

Sorry, I know this thread was about which bike, but as a new rider myself, just trying to pass some knowledge.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Tony_N
Road Master
Received 252 Likes on 175 Posts

I had a 32 year break from riding. I bought a used Heritage Classic almost 4 years ago and I'm glad I did. I'm 5'8 175 and I wouldn't want a smaller bike.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:03 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by MFJones
One more thing, riding a lighter bike will not necessarily prepare you for a heavier one. I think that's a misconception. My MSF course had me on a Kawasaki Eliminator 250. The thing was, I think, 350lbs. By the end of the 2nd day, I was riding it like a stunt bike. Went home, the Harley was still heavy as hell.

Taking off, stopping and turning. Focus on getting those down. Clutch control is your friend. Remember, unlike a stick shift in a car, a bike clutch is a wet clutch so it's not only OK to ride it, it is expected. You'll learn some of this in your class. Also, I recommend riding a bicycle for awhile before taking your class. The balance will help you. Not the SAME, but it's the same hand, eye, weight, coordination of senses.

Sorry, I know this thread was about which bike, but as a new rider myself, just trying to pass some knowledge.
I remember how clunky and awful the 250s were we used. Literally finished it, got my license, and picked up my dyna 2 days later and road it 60 miles back to Omaha. Compared, that low rider just ran. Smooth out the gate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?