Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 02:48 PM
GregoryB
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am now 43 and rode for the first time two years ago. My first bike was a Suzuki 650 vstrom. Did about 1200 miles over the last two years most of them with my wife. A week ago we took the plunge and upgraded to a 2010 heritage. BEST MOVE EVER!!!! Wish I had the money when I started to ride to make it our first bike. I think the low center of gravity makes all the difference. Don't waste our time or money on a "learner bike" buy what you want to ride and just take your time getting to know your bike. You won't be sorry.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

My .02
* I cannot tell you what your comfort and skill level is. But if you were my brother, Id tell ya to ride some POS for a season then buy what ya like
* What I can tell you is I have owned 3 Heritage's including a 17. Its my favorite bike HD makes. It does a lot of things really well.. This is strong statement considering I also own an RGU and in the past I owned 2 WGs, an xl1200c and a STc.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:06 PM
sacdaddio
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my first HD, a 2016 Softail Deluxe. I have had 5-6 bikes, since 1975, but hadn't ridden in @ 20 years. I liked the look of the softail, and bought it. I ride solo, most of the time, and I just turned 60. Last summer I traveled the southwest-Sacramento California to San Antonio, and back. Except for a sore butt, it was a blast. When I picked up the bike I had my permit, but was scheduled for the safety course. I was unsure about the heel shift, and a little nervous. In literally 5 miles of riding all was comfortable. I think, after safety class, you'll get comfortable quickly. But you can always test drive numerous bikes to be sure. Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2017, 11:52 AM
michman82
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Should have it by this weekend after dealer adding upgrades I wanted.

Attached Thumbnails Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?-fb_img_1495727102839_1495727146433.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Norky (05-25-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats on the Heritage. We sold her Indian (yippee, I hated it) and she's on her Heritage again full time. If the 18's have the M8, she'll be getting a new one...

Old 05-26-2017, 10:14 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

You snagged a beauty! Can't go wrong with the Heritage. I really enjoyed both of mine...one was a springer. I don't agree with the "work your way up" plan because all bikes should basically be ridden using the same rules. Good move!

Old 05-27-2017, 05:34 AM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Heritage Classic

I have been riding since age 17 and I am now 63. Bought an Ultra Limited in 2014 and put 700 miles on it and traded it in for a 2015 Heritage Classic and couldn't be happier. Riding the Ultra on a ride and returning felt like coming home from work. It was a job. Riding the Heritage is pure pleasure. My wife also loves it. Best thing I did was change out the stock seat. I installed a Mustang Wide Passenger seat and Rider seat with the backrest. It made a world of difference in ride comfort. Sold the stock seat in a week on EBAY. Get the Heritage you won't regret it!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?-my-heritage-classic-and-me-copy.png  
The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (05-28-2017)
Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 PM
Freedomrider56
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Heritage curiosity

Originally Posted by Queen-of-Clubs
Just my .02 cents and since you asked. If I were you, I would not put the wife on the back of the bike until you have had a couple/few thousand miles practice. That may sound like a lot to you, but it's not. You may even consider taking a class with her, as passenger, with you. I'm sure they are offered.....

The reason I say this is, I am a relatively "new" rider myself. I started with a Sportster purchased 4 years ago and I bought a Deluxe last month. I only took on a passenger last year (not on the Sportster but a borrowed Road King). Anyway...my passenger is my 10 year old son. 85 pounds soaking wet and 4'11. There is a difference in the handling with and without a passenger.

By the way, I love my Sporty, but I would not have started out with it if I knew then what I know now. I think you made a good choice.
Possible to pick your brain a bit? Im 54 andhave been riding since I"m 19 on and off throughout the years I have a coupl of classic antique BMW but have been wondering about the heritage softail as far as size and ease of riding.. My bikes are 650 and 750 although the BMWS are the boxers, and some what bulky they are still much smaller I'm assuming as far as riding. How do you feel on yours. I'm around 5'8.5" and 145? I would so appreicate any idea info, advice your able to offer , No longer a spring chicken and want to see if you think it might be to much lol!

Old 06-26-2021, 05:15 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 802 Likes on 538 Posts

There's a lot of good advice here on the Heritage, I have an 05. At 57, I'm still a spring chicken. I ride the rubber off mine, road trips, 2UP and solo, several thousand miles a year for me, easily. The bike is incredibly smooth and comfortable, handles extremely well and slow turn maneuvers with ease. I do have Progressive's Monotubes up front and 422 RAPS out back, so it's simple to adjust the ride for loaded or unloaded. It's a well rounded machine, I've said it before, I think every time I load up for a long trip with the GF I say I'm going to get a touring bike, but when we return, I realize I don't need one, my Heritage is a perfect fit for me, and the GF.

Originally Posted by Freedomrider56
Possible to pick your brain a bit? I'm 54 and have been riding since I'm 19 on and off throughout the years I have a couple of classic antique BMW but have been wondering about the heritage softail as far as size and ease of riding.. My bikes are 650 and 750 although the BMWS are the boxers, and some what bulky they are still much smaller I'm assuming as far as riding. How do you feel on yours. I'm around 5'8.5" and 145? I would so appreciate any idea info, advice your able to offer , No longer a spring chicken and want to see if you think it might be to much lol!

Old 06-26-2021, 05:52 AM
firefour
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Here is mine! 67 and it fits me like a glove!

I love this bike! Traded my 2014 Ultra Limited in for it and never looked back!

Quick Reply: Is Heritage Softail good for new rider?