Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to HD. Noise.. What is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 06:50 PM
chrisbratvoldjunk@gmail.com
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to HD. Noise.. What is normal?

I know this is probably a stupid question. I just got my first bike. It's a 96 FLSTC. I have nothing to compare against... How much noise is normal. The bike sounds very loud mechanically. From my understanding these bikes aren't "quiet". With cars it's obvious when there is a noise out of the ordinary but this bike is definitely different. Transmission noise.... Engine noise (not exhaust ). Are certain whines normal... I already understand that the transmissions are noisy... How do I know if something is normal or when I need to look into it further?

I hope my question makes sense.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

If you understand where all the components are, get you a two ear mechanic stethoscope. You will probably be pleasantly surprised. Mostly all is a smooth whirr. To naked ears, that exhaust makes lets a lot of noise out that sounds bad. The primary compensator can make a little rough uneven sound due to the fact the surfaces that rub against each other are not machined and the firing order is not exactly 360 apart ever time. Just ignore it. Don't fall for tin men selling their wares or others who have fallen for it. Good luck.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

They make a lot of noise to the uninitiated. 99.99% chance that what you are hearing is just Harley music. Just get used to it and learn to love it, it just goes with the territory. You'll read plenty of threads (ad nauseum) about chasing noises, and for the most part its a solution looking for a problem. There are some legit complaints about noise in terms of high lift cams and lifters that cant hold up etc, but the vast majority are started by folks that expect their bike to sound like a metric. There will always be a slight whine from the primary, a loud whine is a problem, your chain is too tight. Valve trains are noisy all over, even the quiet ones lol. If you have a problem engine noise, you’ll know it! Plus, you’ll get some miles on and learn whats “normal” for your ride. Make sure you’re using the right weight oil for your temp range, redline shockproof is the best I’ve experienced in the tranny, and it makes a legit difference in smoothness and clatter, and Golden Spectro heavy duty primary is the best I’ve experienced in that case. Other than oil weight, nothing seems to make that much of a difference in the engine in my experience anyway, in the dead of summer I usually run straight 50w as opposed to 20w-50 and have noticed my idle oil pressure stays slightly higher when hot.

Hope that helps, and happy riding!

The following users liked this post:
ccain529 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:10 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

As long as the bike's well maintained, probably normal. How many miles and did you get copies of the history/service records?

Also, I grew up 30-miles from Willmar...my uncle has a cabin near Spicer...love that area.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Novice

Originally Posted by Iceman24
As long as the bike's well maintained, probably normal. How many miles and did you get copies of the history/service records?

Also, I grew up 30-miles from Willmar...my uncle has a cabin near Spicer...love that area.
I didn't... I wish there was a paper trail, but I realize that does not mean that the bike wasn't taken care of.

I just moved here for a job last year. It has about 42k... It's a 96.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Otter
Road Master
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Evo’s are especially hard to kill. Maintain it and it’ll go forever

Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 PM
Novice

Originally Posted by Otter
They make a lot of noise to the uninitiated. 99.99% chance that what you are hearing is just Harley music. Just get used to it and learn to love it, it just goes with the territory. You'll read plenty of threads (ad nauseum) about chasing noises, and for the most part its a solution looking for a problem. There are some legit complaints about noise in terms of high lift cams and lifters that cant hold up etc, but the vast majority are started by folks that expect their bike to sound like a metric. There will always be a slight whine from the primary, a loud whine is a problem, your chain is too tight. Valve trains are noisy all over, even the quiet ones lol. If you have a problem engine noise, you’ll know it! Plus, you’ll get some miles on and learn whats “normal” for your ride. Make sure you’re using the right weight oil for your temp range, redline shockproof is the best I’ve experienced in the tranny, and it makes a legit difference in smoothness and clatter, and Golden Spectro heavy duty primary is the best I’ve experienced in that case. Other than oil weight, nothing seems to make that much of a difference in the engine in my experience anyway, in the dead of summer I usually run straight 50w as opposed to 20w-50 and have noticed my idle oil pressure stays slightly higher when hot.

Hope that helps, and happy riding!
That's what I thought. I do have a scope.. I will give it a listen. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Enjoy it. Ride it. Learn it. If there's something wrong with it you'll know soon enough.

Otherwise just get used to it and build a baseline. There's lot of things to make noise. After all, your sitting right on top of the drive train.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisbratvoldjunk@gmail.com
I know this is probably a stupid question. I just got my first bike. It's a 96 FLSTC. I have nothing to compare against... How much noise is normal. The bike sounds very loud mechanically. From my understanding these bikes aren't "quiet". With cars it's obvious when there is a noise out of the ordinary but this bike is definitely different. Transmission noise.... Engine noise (not exhaust ). Are certain whines normal... I already understand that the transmissions are noisy... How do I know if something is normal or when I need to look into it further?

I hope my question makes sense.
You take it to a shop before buying, you give them a $100 fee for them to go over the scoot. You didnt do that.
Take it to a shop and ask them what they think and get their input.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

They sound like big old cast iron sewing machines. Each area has its own sound (rockers, primary, cam chest, etc) and you'll soon figure out what "normal" sounds like. Keep in mind the uneven firing interval as well.

Quick Reply: New to HD. Noise.. What is normal?