Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When installing new rotors change or keep brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:22 PM
HenryT
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Just use the HD pads, best bet.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I changed out my rotors and my pads were perfectly in perfectly good shape so I left them in. I simply sanded the pad surface to get it smooth. No sense in spending money where you don't have to. I had no ill effects to the pads or the rotors and the pads lived on as normal until I wore them down.

And as HenryT says; just go with stock H-D. Or is there a specific reason you feel you have to switch? I can't count how many threads I have read on here where folks knock all over H-D stock stuff and have huge debates about which after market repair and maintenance products are best to use. I have learned one thing over the last 8 years; despite all the claims that non-HD products out-last or out-perform the H-D stuff, my results with the H-D stuff seem to constantly beat those claims.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:48 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
I changed out my rotors and my pads were perfectly in perfectly good shape so I left them in. I simply sanded the pad surface to get it smooth. No sense in spending money where you don't have to. I had no ill effects to the pads or the rotors and the pads lived on as normal until I wore them down.

And as HenryT says; just go with stock H-D. Or is there a specific reason you feel you have to switch? I can't count how many threads I have read on here where folks knock all over H-D stock stuff and have huge debates about which after market repair and maintenance products are best to use. I have learned one thing over the last 8 years; despite all the claims that non-HD products out-last or out-perform the H-D stuff, my results with the H-D stuff seem to constantly beat those claims.
I'm interested to see if you maintain that view after You've replaced the VSS and ignition switch a few times.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member
Received 829 Likes on 496 Posts

I wanted rotor friendly pads for my new RC rotors. I've always tried to stay with HD parts cause I know the quality and they will fit.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
As long as there is plenty of pad left there's no reason to throw them out just because you changed rotors. Simply put the pads in a vise and block sand them with #60 grit until all signs of wear are gone on each pad. Once done, they should bed in nicely.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 AM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

I went with Lyndall pads, extremes in the front and gold+ in the rear.
The rotors were part of the wheel package is bought, spensive. I wanted pads that did not throw as much dust and that would not wear on the rotors as much.
I'll report back once I get the pads and get some miles on them.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:45 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

Put 100 miles on the new pads, all is good. Lyndall instructions say no break in needed.
I broke them in anyway.