Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Tank Vuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:10 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

You can do it with a long screw driver or anything that is long. I have used a wooden dowels and small diameter pvc pipe cause none of my screw drivers were long enough

Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Got the tank drained and plan taking it apart tomorrow. What do you think the odds are for a fuel pump failure on Harley's? Just curious if it's an infrequent thing or something I should be looking at. I called the dealer today to check on the price of the actual fuel pump just in case. $286.00, just for the pump and it's a special order.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-18-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:38 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

I used a fuel pump from a company called highflow it works just fine and is plug and play

Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 AM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

From my limited experience these fuel pumps are pretty solid. I would say it's probably either split fuel lines or possibly a cracked regulator housing, maybe even just a dodgy o-ring, chances are the fp is fine!

The following users liked this post:
Pitbull_Dallas (07-19-2017)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Well, without too much of a struggle I got the fuel pump out. Turns out both ears on the pressure regulator top hat had broken and the top hat has been pushed about half way off. Guess that explains the "swishing" sound I mentioned. Though the photo isn't very good, you can see the broken ears and the body o-ring protruding. Headed out to get the parts in a short..

While I'm in there I'm going to go ahead and replace the filter and hoses..

Attached Thumbnails In Tank Vuel Lines-top-hat-1.jpg   In Tank Vuel Lines-top-hat-2.jpg  

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-19-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:50 PM
stal94gt
Road Master

Since your regulator hat is what failed I will invest in the trask billet hat

Pitbull_Dallas (07-19-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Got it back together and the bike is a WHOLE lot happier. I'm thinking I've had this problem for a long time and didn't know it, and the failure a few days ago was the final death blow. Everything about how the bike runs is better, including almost no decibel popping at all on deceleration.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

Originally Posted by stal94gt
I have done this job a few times. The first time I did it I felt blind trying to work the hinged arm but it is not that bad. The fuel level sensor is on its own on the right side of the tank so you just have to unplug the wire harness and remove the pins. The fuel pressure regulator hat is plastic and has had a history of breaking the ears causing a fuel leak. Once you start the job I would replace all fuel hoses, fuel pump sock, fuel pressure regulator hat, and fuel filter. I used gates submersible fuel hose on mine with fuel line clamps which have a rolled edge so it does not cut the fuel hose

Here you can see the hinge strait to remove assembly from tank

Here the hinge is in the position in the tank

Closer look at the hinge

Rode a 100 miles today an all is good. But, I have a question. I noticed in your second photo, there appears to be a gap between the regulator flange and the bottom of the housing. You can even see a little of the regulator body. And it looks like the metal tabs that retain the housing are slightly angled up. Is that supposed to be normal? On mine, I have a small gap also. I couldn't quite get the regulator to bottom out in the housing (and that bothers me). If you look closely at the photos I posted you'll see the metal tabs on mine are angled up also. I didn't like that, so using needle nose pliers, I bent them down a little to make them horizontal.

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-21-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:27 AM
stal94gt
Road Master

I had the same curiosity about mine when I pulled it apart and I ended up bending my tabs so the regulator tabs were as tight as they could be

Pitbull_Dallas (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 06:44 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

That's good to hear. I made mind parallel with the base so there's a very small gap between the housing and base. Probably about .01"-.015". Really small. One thing I noticed is the tab metal is pretty flexible, so I'm thinking when the regulator housing pushed up, it just bent the tabs up. The next time I'm up at the dealer I'll ask a tech and see what they say..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 07-29-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: In Tank Vuel Lines