Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Master Cylinder Replacement Anti Lock Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Master Cylinder Replacement Anti Lock Brakes

I am picking up a new Master Cylinder tomorrow, done my research, but wanted some final opinions. The Motorcycle is a 2011 Blackline...

Here is my plan...

1- Leave the ignition key off
2- Bench bleed the new Master Cylinder
3- Bleed the brakes from the caliper back towards the Master Cylinder to avoid pulling any air into the sensor.

Sound like a plan?

I've replaced a few Master Cylinders in my day, but have never dealt with Anti Lock Brakes. What is the worst that can happen? If I get some air in the sensor, I've read that I will get codes, but the brakes will still function, will just loose the Anti lock functionality?

Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

you can replace the master cylinder which ever way you want. bench bleed it , drain it on the bike and then bleed it. youll get air in it either way and being that it has ABS you HAVE TO TAKE IT TO HARLEY ( or any shop with the software ) and have them do the final bleed. you wont be able to get the air out of the modulator by normal bleeding.

when it comes to brakes don't be cheap and say yeah it works. do it right and have no doubt!

Old 08-04-2017, 10:23 PM
Sparky357
Road Master
Received 241 Likes on 168 Posts
Old 08-07-2017, 08:24 AM
rebeltruce
Tourer

Thanks fella's. I've seen this video, but he just bleeds the brakes. If I were just bleeding the brakes I wouldn't be concerned, I've done that many times.

It's the ABS modulator that is my concern, I'm going to just give it a shot if I get an ABS light, I'll take it to a local Indy shop and let them bleed the modulator with the software.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:41 AM
Sparky357
Road Master

Originally Posted by rebeltruce
Thanks fella's. I've seen this video, but he just bleeds the brakes. If I were just bleeding the brakes I wouldn't be concerned, I've done that many times.

It's the ABS modulator that is my concern, I'm going to just give it a shot if I get an ABS light, I'll take it to a local Indy shop and let them bleed the modulator with the software.
Just reverse bleed them thoroughly and get all the air out before you turn on the bike and it primes.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:07 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

Not an expert, but have read up on this and changed fluid in my '12 twice now without issue. Just bleed the cylinder and brakes like usual. Once you open up the lines/system, don't turn on the key, until you have the brake system bled. That way no air will get into the ABS unit.

You only have to go to the dealer to cycle the ABS unit, if you get air into the ABS unit.

Last edited by hattitude; 08-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:31 PM
rebeltruce
Tourer

When you say reverse bleed them, just so I understand, put pressure at the caliper bleeder and force the fluid and and air out through the master cylinder correct?

Theoretically the only air would be at the banjo connection and through the MC, so going at it backwards would force that air out before it ever had a chance to get to the ABS Modulator....

That's exactly what I was planning on doing.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:02 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,382 Likes on 4,003 Posts

wrong thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Sparky357
Road Master

Originally Posted by rebeltruce
When you say reverse bleed them, just so I understand, put pressure at the caliper bleeder and force the fluid and and air out through the master cylinder correct?

Theoretically the only air would be at the banjo connection and through the MC, so going at it backwards would force that air out before it ever had a chance to get to the ABS Modulator....

That's exactly what I was planning on doing.
Basically refill the system with brake fluid from the caliper bleed screw. When filled pump the brake lever several time to see if there are air bubbles in the master cylinder,if so keep pumping until their are no more.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:07 AM
sevebou63
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

I just replaced my front brake upper line and reverse bled my 2016 fatboy lo s with the manual stating you HAVE to bring it in to have them use there $5000.00 piece of **** software program to bleed brakes. Sorry.....again, I proved the wrong.Test driven. No issues and no lights. Harley uses scare method to make you spend your hard earned dollars for no reason. I can't tell you how many times I have gone in and discussed many issues about my bike and service tells me "Oh no you can't do that, you have to bring it in or you will have problems." And every time I proved them wrong.

They tried to sell me a spaghetti line for $250.00 when all I wanted to do is replace the one line from master to ABS unit. Which by the way I was able to purchase said replacement from Magnum Shielding....and......Harley doesn't carry that simple line. Only the ridiculous one they claim is the only option for my bike. I will be going in today to show them that they cannot full EVERYONE with there hog wash.... No pun intended.