Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:22 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4

I have covers for working on my bike, because the back brakes are dot 5 and i dont feel like stocking dot 4 as well. Yeah have a few bottles sitting on my shelf in my garage. Dont wanna be buzzed one day and dump the wrong stuff in.

Dot 5 not eating paint is a good thing, it also doesnt absorb water and can handle more heat.. so anything to keep me safe on the bike is good.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM
zoomie67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest difference between dot4 & 5 is that dot5 is silicone based and therefore, will not absorb water. Condensation will build in the lines over time and cause corrosion. Brake fluid should be drained and replaced every 2 years. DOT5 will acuallychange color from purple to yellow over time. I replaced mine because I thought I had a problem with the frontmaster cylinder. I would pull the brake lever and once in a while it would nearly hit the grip (scary). Drained and replaced the fluid and it works better than ever now.Looking at the drain bottle I could actually see water droplets in the fluid. Pep Boys carries DOT 5 for around $8.00 a pint. The bottle ofHarley branded DOT5 is almost $20.00.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:18 PM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer

RTFM guys, put in what the moco says to put in, especially if you have a warranty. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

lol
rtfm...

anyways for people with non-stock bikes...
99% of you eh?

Oh btw for dot 4 users... u can prob use dot 5.1 (non-silicone) but doesnt absorb water and can reach high temps like dot 5

Old 06-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Demkay
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

RTFM guys, put in what the moco says to put in, especially if you have a warranty. Just my $0.02.

RTFM - LOL, so I'm guessing that means ....... Read the f'ing manual.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:04 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Demkay

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

RTFM - LOL, so I'm guessing that means ....... Read the f'ing manual.
Why would you do that when you could ask the question here and get the answer from one person and 50 other people telling you to look it up.

Chris

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 PM
jimmyz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dot 5 is suppose to have a higher boiling point. So they say?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

dot 5 is silicone based, it has a boiling temp of 500f, it wont absorb water, it doesn't have the anti-corrosive additives like dot 4 but relies on its silicone to keep corrosion at bay..

dot 5.1 is like dot 4 (non-silicone) but can handle temps like the dot5 silicone can and it also doesn't absorb water and its primary use is in ABS braking systems, but is fine for regular dot 4 uses.. and its properties do not attack the rubber stuff... look it up on the Internet.. what is dot 5.1 brake fluid..

Old 06-29-2007, 06:37 PM
MICHALISLARNACA
Cruiser

The new bikes use new brake flow (helped by brembo with the v-rods) which need a better flowing fluid. That is the ONLY reason for the DOT4 fluid.
The DOT5 IS NOT better, just diferent. Just keep in mind that all sport bikes use DOT4, it flows better and can handle high temps better. The only draw back is the problem with moisture. It WILL collect it. So you need to change it more frequently. The other serious drawback is the reaction with painted parts, it will eat away chrome as well.

I have a 2007 FLSTF and changed to PM 6piston defer. bore caliper. I had to install new lines and controls, since the PM calipers prefer DOT5. It is very important NEVER mix the two it is destructive. Not even the seals.

The bottom line is that if you run DOT4 simply open the cover every 3.000 miles and empty the resev. and top it up. (you do not need to bleed the system, be careful not to pull the hand or foot brake.) it is a very simple deal and you keep peace of mind. Mind you that I have found it more practical to use DOT4 since it is more availble at auto stores (ALL cars use it)

Old 06-30-2007, 09:57 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

#5and #4 fluid do NOT mix...two different kinds of fluid there. #4 and #3 fluid DO mix and the only difference is boiling point...unless your road racing or planning to roast your brakes over a fire you've got nothing to worry about using #4/#3 fluids. On my '06 I have a mix of #4 and #3 in my rear brake lines now (ran out of #4 while bleeding and had to use a bit of #3 to top off) and I have had NO ill effects at all in over 4,000 miles of hot/cool/cold weather riding.

Quick Reply: Brake fluid..... DOT 5 OR DOT 4