Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 AM
BiKenG
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dread
100% agree. Personally I feel that the 2017 is the best looking Breakout out of all the years. It was the look of the black and edge polished turbine wheels that hooked me bad. Could not stop thinking about the bike after seeing one in vivid black at the dealer, and pulled the trigger a few loooooong weeks after. No regrets.
Couldn't agree more about the wheels. That's my next task - find out if those Turbine wheels will fit the new Breakout. Even if I have to do some modding to make them fit (which I doubt) it will be worth it.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:37 AM
BiKenG
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 02603SEC
We made the right choice with the 2017s. Don't ever regret it.
Certainly not a bad choice, but I've just been studying the side shots of both the 2017 and the new 2018, side by side on screen. To say most people couldn't spot the difference is putting it mildly. Ok, there are some relatively minor ones, but let's consider the differences:-

The new tank is smaller, but that cannot be seen from the photos. They look the same, except the 2018 is unadorned with chromy bits on the top, apart from the filler cap.

The exhausts are different. Same basic muffler shape, but unsurprisingly the pipes have slightly different routing (helps to prevent burning your leg apparently) and they're more staggered on the 2017. The new ones actually appear to be the same as on the new Fat Boy, just different colouring. Makes sense from a production point of view and in conjunction with the new slimmer primary chaincase suggests that mid foot controls and even footboards would now be possible which IMO is VERY good news.

Headlight. Not obviously different from the side view, although of course very different from the front. Does it affect the overall personality of the bike. Nope.

Seat height is apparently 0.4" higher for 2018. Impossible to see the difference.

Rear fender. Looks identical to me. Same shape, same clearance to wheel and even the support bars at the sides look pretty much the same (minor re-shaping at the front).

Smooth shiny shape behind engine, under front of seat. Previously apparently the oil tank, now just a cover. Big deal. Actually on the new bike this won't get hot and so no longer add to the left leg cooking of previous bikes. Sounds good to me.

Obviously the rear suspension is completely different. Hard to see? Impossible I'd say. Study the swingarm shape (what you can see) and you may spot some insignificant minor variations, but you have to look really hard. Is the new system a better engineered solution? Undoubtedly and by all accounts, works much better. So all good then.

Then there's the wheels. Sure, a new style for 2018, but it's not the first time the Breakout wheel style has changed. Either learn to love the new wheels, or change them.

As I said before, 99.9% of the population couldn't tell the difference. Some of us can, but so what. Apart from the obvious technical improvements, I cannot really state categorically that either bike is 'styled' better than the other. They are in fact the exact same style, just with some minor variations. To state that one is fabulous and the other ugly as sin is simply nonsense. They are virtually identical in looks so why knock the new one?

Me, I want the M8 engine and all else has to fit in with that. Other owners, not so much, in which case, if you love the bike you have, don't change. There's so little difference it would be huge expense for little or no gain. So unless you must have the M8 engine (like me), be happy with your current Breakout. It's still just as great a bike as when you bought it.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Someone did a test ride on the 2018 breakout i wanted to post the link but it's over 14 minutes long - i think we are not allow to post links to videos that are longer than 4 minutes. The fuel tank reminds me of Harley Street 500 not very nice looking at all.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:13 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Someone did a test ride on the 2018 breakout i wanted to post the link but it's over 14 minutes long - i think we are not allow to post links to videos that are longer than 4 minutes. The fuel tank reminds me of Harley Street 500 not very nice looking at all.
and if you don't like it, or the size, then why would you want one. just because the engine is a little bigger. unless you're going to the drag strip, i'd say your 103 is plenty

The following users liked this post:
Jessica Sinclair (08-25-2017)
Old 08-25-2017, 08:01 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 788 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
and if you don't like it, or the size, then why would you want one. just because the engine is a little bigger. unless you're going to the drag strip, i'd say your 103 is plenty
I can't speak to her stage 5 setup, but the engine torq bump on my 17 RGS compared to my stage 2 103 breakout is exceptionally noticeable. To the point where there's nothing I want to do to the engine besides make the thing louder.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:11 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by matte
I can't speak to her stage 5 setup, but the engine torq bump on my 17 RGS compared to my stage 2 103 breakout is exceptionally noticeable. To the point where there's nothing I want to do to the engine besides make the thing louder.
right. we can do these upgrades without having to trade in and paying more money to them

Old 08-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain

These 114 cost only $1500 from factory if you upgrade the 103 to 110 stage 5 like i did it cost 3x as much and i dont think Harley will honor their warranty when something goes wrong with the stage 5 - 3 of my friends are in this predicament where Harley refuses to honor their warranty because the bikes were modded !

This is why i want to get out of mine and into the 114 so Harley wont be able to jack us. The sad thing is Harley dealership were the ones that carried out the engine upgrade on my friends bikes (2 Harley Dyna Low Rider S and 1 Breakout CVO, went from 110 to 117ci) just like i got mine done at the dealership but mine went from 103 to 110ci.

Last edited by Jessica Sinclair; 08-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:07 AM
aroacha5446
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

$1500?, that's a pretty good price!!

Old 08-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain

Originally Posted by aroacha5446
$1500?, that's a pretty good price!!
This is why Laidlaw Harley will only buy 114 bikes to put on their showroom floor.

Matt said he is only going to buy the 114 because it costs only $1500 to $1700 to get the 114 - he thinks the 107 will be hard to sell !

Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 AM
aroacha5446
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a Street Glide and had the 110 Tire Shredder Kit (non street legal) and just the kit was 3600, plus the bigger throttle body, intake.....installation. So I would definitely go with the 114"

Quick Reply: 2018 Breakout