Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talking myself out of externally venting air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
I followed the suggestions of a poster in the forum when I started getting a little drippage from my A/C.

In the unlikely event I ever make a warranty visit to a dealer, it converts back to stock in about a minute.

Legality? I've heard it said that more reveneur's and EPA cops come into these hills than ever make it out again.
Lol, I don't doubt it. Yeah, your version is nice and stealth to be sure.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:21 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I vented mine into the air cleaner but to the outside of the filter so the air will mix with the cool incoming air an the filter can clean the oil, if any.
Exactly. My setup is the same and it would take 5 minutes to return to stock. My 'seat of the pants' dyno says that the engine is happier sucking in 100% pure air.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:11 PM
breakman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,552 Likes on 1,215 Posts

My previous bike, a 2005 Sportster ran fine for 7 years or more til I sold. I never vented it but it did have a carb so that may have made a difference.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:54 AM
martin10
Road Warrior
Received 504 Likes on 327 Posts

Just for grins I called one of the best known performance shops and asked them about the vent issue. They said if the air cleaner was one of the Harley air cleaners and if the bike was stock there was not much reason to vent it externally. Cams and higher compression as well as some after market air cleaners they recommended venting it externally. They also said they had never seen any unusual carbon build up with the internal vents on stage 1 bikes. Also mentioned that if you run the he'll out of it all the time you might consider it. But for normal riders with stock Or stage 1 bike doesn't really matter. Hope this is useful.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:16 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Unless you NEVER get on it, you will get oil out of the breather bolts. Even keeping oil level on the low side.

Now why would you want that spewing back into the intake?

It makes no difference if the air cleaner is a "stock" air cleaner or if there is high compression or not. A 96' motor is high compression to me. There is always higher and lower.

Do you HAVE to do it? Of course not.. but it's a certainly better than not doing it. I know I don't want that spewing back into my engine.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:18 AM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by langwilliams
I vented mine into the air cleaner but to the outside of the filter so the air will mix with the cool incoming air an the filter can clean the oil, if any.
Oil will still get through the filter and really there is no benefit to doing it this way.. just get it out of there.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Similar problem, I have a 17 FLSTC stock, and whenever I run it hard, say 78 to 80 mph for half an hour I get oil dripping out of the air cleaner. Some spitting on my rear header pipe. Oil level is at the halfway mark on the dipstick hot. It's by no means wore out and im pretty sure it's broke in with 4,500 miles on it.
This is my 1st Harley, so I don't know if this "normal". Its not enough to make me have to add oil between changes, just enough to be annoying.
Is this too hard of a run for it?
HD dino oil changed every 2,500 miles.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:41 PM
Amanelot
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke
Similar problem, I have a 17 FLSTC stock, and whenever I run it hard, say 78 to 80 mph for half an hour I get oil dripping out of the air cleaner. Some spitting on my rear header pipe. Oil level is at the halfway mark on the dipstick hot. It's by no means wore out and im pretty sure it's broke in with 4,500 miles on it.
This is my 1st Harley, so I don't know if this "normal". Its not enough to make me have to add oil between changes, just enough to be annoying.
Is this too hard of a run for it?
HD dino oil changed every 2,500 miles.
It's normal, and no you're not running it too hard. Wipe up the splooge and move on, or vent it if it bothers you.

I used to ride my sportster like a stunt man and that stock A/C would be an oily mess lol

Old 09-19-2017, 08:54 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 771 Posts

I installed the DK Customs Stage 3 Anodized Black Breather Bolts on Reaper, so her engine is externally vented. When I first did the mod, I was getting quite a lot of oil misting, so I replaced the head breathers, and drilled the oil return holes in the rocker support plate to 0.0100". Now, I only get a super tiny bit of oil mist from the rear cylinder - only after along highway run at 75 mph, and the front is absolutely dry.

I'm very happy that the oil and hot air are no longer being fed back into her engine.

Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

well, I will look at some external vents then.

Quick Reply: Talking myself out of externally venting air cleaner