Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 12:55 PM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Heritage Classic

So I was by the dealer Saturday, and they had a '18 Heritage Classic 107 (my bike is a stock '16 FLSTC), not a 114. Everybody seems to have the 114, so I took her around the block and was impressed. The 107 motor may be a little smoother than my 103, has power delivery a little sooner with a stronger punch, but for engine alone, I wouldn't trade my 103. The ride alone though is another matter. The '18 takes bumps better, doesn't upset the balance or line in a tight turn when a good size bump hits as much as the '16, and does feel like less weight in moving around.. And it doesn't grind them floor boards near as soon, but you can still drag em'. Now the part that has made the biggest fuss, the blacked out look and little chrome. In the silver 107 I drove, kinda looked good. Now, I like the chrome look much better (as in my '16 FLSTC), but I don't think the MoCo f***** up as bad as some think. I respect others in their feelings about the 2018 looks, but it ain't so bad when you take the bike in it's entirety. Am I gettin' one ? No, I think I'll wait till they iron out some of the M8 problems. And I think the dealers will have to be giving better deals to get the pre 2018 riders to trade their babies.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Nice write up. You approached with a open mind. While I'm sure the 107 gets the job done, I will want the 114.

Thanks again

Old 09-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Amanelot
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpbob
So I was by the dealer Saturday, and they had a '18 Heritage Classic 107 (my bike is a stock '16 FLSTC), not a 114. Everybody seems to have the 114, so I took her around the block and was impressed. The 107 motor may be a little smoother than my 103, has power delivery a little sooner with a stronger punch, but for engine alone, I wouldn't trade my 103. The ride alone though is another matter. The '18 takes bumps better, doesn't upset the balance or line in a tight turn when a good size bump hits as much as the '16, and does feel like less weight in moving around.. And it doesn't grind them floor boards near as soon, but you can still drag em'. Now the part that has made the biggest fuss, the blacked out look and little chrome. In the silver 107 I drove, kinda looked good. Now, I like the chrome look much better (as in my '16 FLSTC), but I don't think the MoCo f***** up as bad as some think. I respect others in their feelings about the 2018 looks, but it ain't so bad when you take the bike in it's entirety. Am I gettin' one ? No, I think I'll wait till they iron out some of the M8 problems. And I think the dealers will have to be giving better deals to get the pre 2018 riders to trade their babies.
This is pretty much how I feel as well

Old 09-10-2017, 02:25 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,602 Likes on 5,171 Posts

2018 heritage also just plain looks great. With a 1950 legacy . The bags will function well.
About 10 months on a 107 RGU the engine should move the lighter bike even better.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:03 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I rode both. I like my 114, but I wouldn't kick a 107 out of the garage. I agree the power alone doesn't change the world, although it is nice, but as a whole package I found it convincing. I especially liked that it still has plenty of feeling and pulse despite all the worries that it had been smoothed out too much.

One other aspect I like much better is new gear driven counterbalancer vs the chain driven one in the Twin Cam "B" motor. It has a nicer overall feel imo and none of the clatter. At 70 it vibrates more like an old rubber mounted Evo, whereas my '05 Deluxe felt a bit "buzzier" at freeway speeds.

For Dyna riders I think they'll miss the idle shake (I do), but after that it's almost business as usual for "feel" and the rest, handling, suspension, weight is better...

For Softail riders I think it's an improvement in every category except styling (although I like most of the looks)...

Overall I'm pretty optimistic.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:18 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by rcpbob
I say the same thing about waiting a while on the M8 so they iron out problems, then I think about my little sister with an M8 street glide with 8,000 miles on it already, and the only thing she's done is oil changes and a mustang seat!

Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 AM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

A picture is worth 1,000 words

Old 09-14-2017, 10:32 AM
rcpbob
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by r1cochet

Amen. The pre '18's are real lookers'.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by r1cochet

Exactly why I'm about to trade my 14 Street Glide for a 16 Heritage.....

Old 09-14-2017, 06:50 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

To tell the truth, the studs and conchos were not my cup of tea, but when the right confluence of events had me at the dealer looking at a new bike, the Heritage was the most comfortable for me. I love the laced wheels and along with the miles of chrome, the whitewalls, studs and conchos have grown on me.

At first I removed the windshield, but that too has come into my preference as it blocks most of the wind and other road crap off me. There's still enough wind to tickle my beard - it's not like the touring line where you get no breeze and could probably have a quiet smoke whilst riding.

I work downtown Toronto, and most days when I walk out to my bike and stop to put my helmet and gloves on, some dude will say "awesome bike" or give me the thumbs up as they walk-by.

The real problem with that is that one day while I was gearing up, I was watching a rider on a red Ducati sportbike get ready. A gorgeous young lady walked up to him and asked "are you single? Can I give you my number?". For me, it's only old dudes complimenting my bike. LoL

Quick Reply: Heritage Classic