Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018...sounds pretty damn good.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
FWIW, I did a test ride on a VROD night rod last year. I loved it. Sound, feel, performance, ergonomics etc was spot on. If I could justify a second bike, that would be it
They were nice...rip.

Originally Posted by J_E_D
The sound on my 18 FXLR is fine.

Will not be replacing the stock pipes.
That's pretty much how I feel, but I'm still curious to hear slip ons. It'll give me something to do down the road since it seems to need nothing else. Shoot, I'm going to need a hobby...

Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Be nice to hear a stage II torque cam on a Softail also...anybody? Anybody?
I've only got about 6 weeks left to include it in my factory warranty....so get on it!!
Wait what? What's the deal on the factory warranty time limit for upgrades?

I'm approaching my 1st 1,000 miles on my '18 Breakout 114 and am thinking Stage I & II (torque) would be perfect to uncage this beast.

The stock sound is good in many situations, especially wide open. But it's kinda tame when putting around. I'm curious to hear the slip-ones too.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:55 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DanBO18

I'm approaching my 1st 1,000 miles on my '18 Breakout 114 and am thinking Stage I & II (torque) would be perfect to uncage this beast.

The stock sound is good in many situations, especially wide open. But it's kinda tame when putting around. I'm curious to hear the slip-ones too.
I've read that if you have the dealer install in the first 60 days on the M8 they'll cover it under your factory warranty as if you did it on delivery.

The following users liked this post:
the blob (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 03:19 AM
Jessica Sinclair
Road Captain
Received 132 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18

Harley warranty is fake at least in my area ! No one in my local area has received warranty for upgrades !!! In fact if you mod your bike your chances of getting any type of warranty job done if things go wrong is absolutely zero !!!!

Old 09-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Dread
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Harley warranty is fake at least in my area ! No one in my local area has received warranty for upgrades !!! In fact if you mod your bike your chances of getting any type of warranty job done if things go wrong is absolutely zero !!!!
Sucks to hear that about HD in your area

Not true with my Harley dealer. I had a bunch of work done to my 2017 Breakout within the first 60 days of owning it and it all fell under factory warranty, which is also true for the 2018 models (My upgrades were - SE 110 Stage III Street Performance Kit, SE-585 cams, Bassani Pro Street exhaust, Heavy Breather SE and a few other non performance mods)

The reason I say this is because I had a few issues after the upgrade that caused damage in the primary due to the high compression when starting the bike when it is hot (The primary would jam and not allow the bike to turn over). The dealer contacted Harley Corporate and they said that it was a known issue with the 103 to 110 conversion, and they authorised a bunch of upgrades to the bike to correct the issue (stronger battery, clutch, starter, compensator...) It was at least a few grand worth of work, all covered under warranty. They also said that they were working on a new map that would reduce compression at start.

That said, before I ordered the Stage III, I wanted to get the Stage V Tire Shredder installed, but my dealer stated that I could only go as high as Stage III without voiding my warranty... They said that HD considers the Stage V a race performance kit and it will instantly void my warranty if installed (at least here in Canada).

Cheers!

Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dread
Sucks to hear that about HD in your area

Not true with my Harley dealer. I had a bunch of work done to my 2017 Breakout within the first 60 days of owning it and it all fell under factory warranty, which is also true for the 2018 models (My upgrades were - SE 110 Stage III Street Performance Kit, SE-585 cams, Bassani Pro Street exhaust, Heavy Breather SE and a few other non performance mods)

The reason I say this is because I had a few issues after the upgrade that caused damage in the primary due to the high compression when starting the bike when it is hot (The primary would jam and not allow the bike to turn over). The dealer contacted Harley Corporate and they said that it was a known issue with the 103 to 110 conversion, and they authorised a bunch of upgrades to the bike to correct the issue (stronger battery, clutch, starter, compensator...) It was at least a few grand worth of work, all covered under warranty. They also said that they were working on a new map that would reduce compression at start.

That said, before I ordered the Stage III, I wanted to get the Stage V Tire Shredder installed, but my dealer stated that I could only go as high as Stage III without voiding my warranty... They said that HD considers the Stage V a race performance kit and it will instantly void my warranty if installed (at least here in Canada).

Cheers!
Thanks Dread. Good info. Glad to hear they stood behind their issues. Dealer quality really matters. Upgrades past a certain point really need a builder experienced with all the separate components and systems that will need to integrate. The Stage V on HD site basically does promise it as a drop in with just a few extra recommendations. I think it even mentions the warranty stays if done at delivery. Nice thing about these new 114s is I don't feel the need to mod really...yet anyway. Love that Fat Bob by the way...

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Here's the tire Stage V tire shredder HD sit info...it does say "at time of purchase" for the warranty to remain though.

https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/s...e-shredder-kit

"This comprehensive kit provides a complete package of matched components that allow you to build a high performance 110ci Twin Cam without voiding the factory warranty. The unique Screamin' Eagle® 4.0" big bore cylinders are engineered to slip into the engine cases without case machining or modification, so the engine stays in the chassis during the build.
Includes 4.0" cylinders, SE CNC-Ported Cylinder Heads, matching 10.2:1 forged high compression pistons and rings, SE-259 cams, perfect-fit pushrods, high-capacity roller tappets, cam cover gaskets, heavy duty clutch spring, high flow fuel injectors Also includes the SE 58mm Throttle Body with high flow fuel injectors All EFI-equipped models require dealer-installed ECM calibration download or use of Screamin' Eagle® Street Tuner Kit (priced separately) Recalibration is required for proper installation, See Dealer for details, Labor cost not included Separate purchase of cam spacers is recommended Requires separate purchase of accessory 58mm air cleaner and Cam Drive Retention Kit P/N 25566-06 When installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson® Dealer at the time of vehicle delivery, these kits do not impact the vehicle's limited warranty"

Old 09-12-2017, 04:50 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

For stock it sounds nice and I think better than the previous stock sound. Let's be honest, the stock sound of previous years never sounded all that good. But that doesn't matter because 95% of people who buy bikes swap out the exhaust.

I don't agree with the guy in the video when he said they'll be a lack of accessory options and handlebars will be hard to swap out. In time they'll be plenty of aftermarket accessories for these bikes and if someone wants to go with fatter handlebars they already make plenty that taper down to 1 inch so the stock clamp would fit. The only way I see a problem is of someone wants to eliminate the clamp altogether.

When they first came out I reacted too quickly and didn't like the Street Bob much. But given some time and after seeing one in person that changed for me. It's a sweet looking bike and every review I've read on it says they handle great and are a lot of fun to ride...big grin factor. It would be a perfect mid range bike for 200 to 300 mile days of country riding and mountain carving, as well as an every day bar hopper/commuter bike.

I think they'll sell a ton of them.

Last edited by JekyllnHyde; 09-12-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:39 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

My first bike was a stock Vulcan 750. I thought it sounded OK, but like a sewing machine.

My first Harley was a used 2003 FLHTCUI with a stage one and Cycle Shacks. When I picked it up I thought it was unbearably loud.

I love it now. I don't know if it's gotten quiter over the years or I'm going deaf but it seems perfect now.

The bike in the video sounds a lot more like my Vulcan than my Ultra. I wouldn't like it, but that's just me.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:00 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jessica Sinclair
Do tell!

Quick Reply: 2018...sounds pretty damn good.