Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading my Ultra Limited Low for a Softail, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trading my Ultra Limited Low for a Softail, which one?

I bought my '15 ULL last year as a compromise. I wanted a HD and my wife wanted the throne in back. She's taken one weekend trip with me and rides on the back occasionally but it turns out I ride solo far more than 2-up. I did a 2 week 6000 mile trip (solo) which was incredible, but even on this bike I'd never do that again -- next time I'll trailer to the good stuff and ride 1/3 as much in 2/3 the time. I like the ULL, but I'm just 5'6" and this is a 900 lb behemoth, god forbid I ever park with the nose pointed down a slope of any magnitude. In addition, I come from the sport bike world and this thing is dog slow. Let's not even talk about the lack of excitement but the inability to quickly pass on 2 lane roads regardless of how many times I downshift is annoying and/or dangerous. I love the storage, the stereo is nice, the wind protection is great, iphone connectivity is money, the cruise control is a must-have, it's very comfortable, and it's just not for me. I'd like to trade for something a bit more spry that is easier for me to handle with the potential for 2-up riding. I still want some storage and wind protection, and cruise control is a must-have. I considered the RK and SG but those are still fairly heavy bikes and my personal belief is HD will stick a 114 in them next year or the following which would leave me kicking myself. Needless to say I'm only looking at bikes that have a 114 available and I've narrowed it down to the Fatboy and Heritage Classic.

The Fatboy
I've read a lot in these forums and it seems like people love or hate it. I absolutely LOVE this bike. I think the looks are stunning, the huge back tire makes it look like an aftermarket mod or a custom. I love the wheels. I love the colors. The headlight doesn't bug me. I test rode a 107 and the bike fits. It comes off the stand really easily, I'd prefer if the bars were a tad bit closer but they're certainly not a stretch like the Breakout's. Even the 107 pulled considerably better than my 103 geezer glide, I've read the 114 has ~9% more oomph than the 107 so that will only get better. The big tires make the low speed handling a little more challenging, but the low center of gravity and seating height makes me feel like this is a bike I'd never drop (the ULL has been down twice at parking lot speeds). I'd immediately want cruise control added, I'd want a windscreen fairly soon, and within a couple months I'd need improved seating for both front and back some kind of storage solution. I know it's minor but I don't like the license plate bracket.

The Heritage Classic
I didn't get to test ride one of these yet, I plan to tomorrow or the day after. I assume it will handle slightly better than the Fatboy, the engine is the same, not sure about center of gravity but I know the seat height is about 1/2 inch higher. The styling doesn't strike me the way the Fatboy does but I still think it's a great looking bike. My favorite HC color would rank #4 if HD had combined the color options of the HC and FB. It already comes with a windscreen but I'm not sure I like the blacked out portion, I'll need to see it in person to make a judgement. Pluses for the standard cruise control and saddle bags.

I guess it's obvious I'm leaning towards the Fatboy, but I haven't ridden the HC and that will count for a lot. Before I decide I'll ride them back to back, but I guess I'm trying to gauge whether it will make more sense to buy the Fatboy and then accessorize to add the comforts of the Heritage Classic, or get the HC and make the modifications so it will be as cool as the Fatboy. Of course adding the windscreen and bags will diminish the Fatboy's visceral appeal. My guess is trying to make the HC look more like the FB would be a bit more expensive. It's a good dilemma to have, just interested to see the thought processes of others who may feel the same.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Do it grab the Fatty man ,and make it yours!

Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts
Old 09-19-2017, 10:37 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Had quite a few Softails over my many years and my choice would be -

http://www.cycleworld.com/2018-harle...softail-deluxe

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

You are doing an excellent job, I'm impressed with your details and thoughts. Will be interested to hear about your ride on the Heritage
I like the Heritage looks, and the fact that it is ready for touring without adding anything.
Keep us posted, and good luck.

Old 09-19-2017, 11:10 PM
lexpert
Intermediate
Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Same for me

i came off a 17 Limited and went for the Heritage 114 though I wanted the Fatboy.

the fatboy is more bar hopper
the back tire will go quick and be expensive
turning the fatboy might get old after a while.. maybe

the Heritage does everything well but will never look as cool as the Fatboy

Old 09-19-2017, 11:41 PM
steveg56
Road Captain
Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the Fatty. Easy to add screen and bags and still look better then the HC IMO. The fatty is just nasty muscle on wheels. Do the Fatty!

Old 09-20-2017, 12:33 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I traded my '16 RK for pretty much the same reasons as you. In my case I went with the 114 Heritage. I think you'll find it's a good fit for 5'6 (that's me too). It handles great and has quite a bit more lean angle than the fatty which is nice for touring since you're usually riding unfamiliar roads and being more maneuverable isn't a bad thing.

I didn't think I'd like the blacked out shield (easy to replace) as I hate fairings or any obstruction...but honestly I don't even notice it while riding and in person it looks much better than the shield on my RK.

Strip the Heritage down and you have the Deluxe basically (only a bit more badass imo)...add the bags and shield to the Fat Boy and I'm not sure it'll look quite as good as the Heritage when loaded.

I'm also over 240 tires. Had it on a Diavel for a few years and it got tiresome on the fun roads...that thing was monstrously fast...but other than blasts of acceleration or eating up freeway miles (on expensive short lived tires) it was kind of a chore to handle.

Hard to argue with your heart rate, so if the Fatty really pushes your buttons...don't compromise...I have an R9T Racer and love it even though it kicks my *** a bit somedays....something's are just worth the stretch...

But you might find the Heritage fits better than you think, and it looks damn good with or without the bags and shield.

Last edited by Thingfish; 09-20-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 AM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. In case you didn't notice, it's 0530 EST (and I've been up for an hour), I find it hard to sleep when excited about a new purchase. Instead of waking up the wife with my tossing and turning thought I'd hit the forums instead.

Originally Posted by balloo
You are doing an excellent job, I'm impressed with your details and thoughts. Will be interested to hear about your ride on the Heritage I like the Heritage looks, and the fact that it is ready for touring without adding anything.
Keep us posted, and good luck.
Flattery will get you everywhere! The rational side of me agrees wholeheartedly with the statement I bolded. I could buy the HC and do NOTHING and likely be a very happy camper. Even a 5 mile ride to the gym requires some sort of storage; I don't require a grocery-getter like the ULL but I also can't limit my storage to my pockets or a backpack. Lazy appeals to me, and it's not like I'd be stuck settling for a Prius, the HC is a damn nice looking ride.

Originally Posted by lexpert
i came off a 17 Limited and went for the Heritage 114 though I wanted the Fatboy.

the fatboy is more bar hopper
the back tire will go quick and be expensive
turning the fatboy might get old after a while.. maybe

the Heritage does everything well but will never look as cool as the Fatboy
How long have you owned? Buyer's remorse or glad you got the HC? I did the "responsible" thing last year and now I'm going to take it in the shorts on a trade. I'd really like to get it right this time. Not to mention the wife seems to feel some portion of responsibility for me getting the wrong bike last time, if I do this again I think it's going to cost me BIG TIME! It's just money, right?

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I traded my '16 RK for pretty much the same reasons as you. In my case I went with the 114 Heritage. I think you'll find it's a good fit for 5'6 (that's me too). It handles great and has quite a bit more lean angle than the fatty which is nice for touring since you're usually riding unfamiliar roads and being more maneuverable isn't a bad thing.

./.

I'm also over 240 tires. Had it on a Diavel for a few years and it got tiresome on the fun roads...that thing was monstrously fast...but other than blasts of acceleration or eating up freeway miles (on expensive short lived tires) it was kind of a chore to handle.

Hard to argue with your heart rate, so if the Fatty really pushes your buttons...don't compromise...I have an R9T Racer and love it even though it kicks my *** a bit somedays....something's are just worth the stretch...

But you might find the Heritage fits better than you think, and it looks damn good with or without the bags and shield.
I've never had to deal with the reality of the big fat tire nor am I sure if it will really affect me much. I'm south side ATL so there's nothing curvy for over 2 hours, not sure if I'm rationalizing or being honest with the way the bike is used. The majority of the miles on my ULL were touring the majority of the trips were 40 minutes or less putting around town. I don't do my own tire changes, so I'm not excited about spending $400 every 3k miles for a new back tire. I can certainly afford it, but it's definitely a hassle. I overdid it with practical on my last bike -- I don't want to make the same mistake twice in a row but I also don't want to over compensate in the other direction. Then again, I'm 46 and thinking about getting my 1st tattoo -- perhaps the crazy assed bike is what this midlife crisis really needs...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:57 AM
indiandave
Road Master
Received 292 Likes on 170 Posts

You should at least take a look at the Deluxe. It might be a better fit.

Quick Reply: Trading my Ultra Limited Low for a Softail, which one?