Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tallboy Two-Up Seat Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Tallboy Two-Up Seat Review

Today I put the Tallboy Two-Up Seat on the bike. Combined with the forward foot controls kit, my bike is much more comfortable now. I'm 6'5.

Fit and Finish:
Not bad, but the stock seat is more beautiful. Though the stock seat looks especially cool when solo, there's not enough backing to hold you in the seat when you hammer it. So you need that added tall pillion. The way the Tallboy Two-Up Seat is made, it diminishes the look of the integrated pillion a bit, though it's still a substantial passenger seating surface.

Gripe: The safety strap that comes with the new seat is several inches too long, and therefore it flops around ridiculously. The product picture on the HD website shows a snug strap on the seat that is mounted to a bike. This is false advertising. I guess it is oversized because there might be no way to get the integrated two-up seat under the strap if it were sized to fit snugly. But that is just bad design and still false advertising. They should show a ridiculous floppy strap in the picture of the seat mounted on a bike. If they don't like it, they should fix it, not fake the picture. For now I have to leave it off.

Comfort:
Fantastic! This seat is much more comfortable than the stock seat. You can feel the extra cushion that is used to raise the seating position up and back. This is a definite comfort upgrade, especially for a tall rider where the modified seat position is beneficial to body position.

Ride and Handling:
I guess I should have expected that sitting higher and further back on the rear fender will affect the ride. And the effect is exactly what you'd expect when you think about it. The center of gravity is shifted back. The front-end is therefore a bit lighter. On a bumpy road the bike tended to gallop a bit.

I realized I had my preload set higher than recommended, for a sportier feel, at just under 3 instead of 2. After experiencing the change in ride due to the Tallboy seat, I adjusted it back down to just over 2, and the bumpy road galloping virtually disappeared and it got very comfortable.

I guess if I were heading for a track day on my Breakout, I might switch to the stock seat for the most ideal riding position from a performance perspective. But normally I'll be cruising with the Tallboy seat.

I know that pics would be nice but I haven't taken any since putting on the seat. I guess I want to finish all my mods before getting serious about photos, but back-orders for '18 parts is a bummer, with one getting a December ship date. When I get a chance I'll snap something with the iPhone and add it to this post.

The seat in the pic below is the stock seat and pillion.

Last edited by DanBO18; 09-20-2017 at 01:08 AM. Reason: more accurate gripe description
Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 PM
DanBO18
Tourer

About my gripe, I was able to cut the strap down and poke a new hole and then wrestle the seat into place underneath it. So, problem solved, whine over. I don't know why they don't just make it the right size, but whatever. The strap really does help improve the look of the seat so I'm glad to have it in place. And I don't remove the seat that often.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 AM
b bop n bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,909 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I find the safety strap is only good for one thing. It make a nice replacement handle on the garbage can when the raccoons have chewed off the plastic one.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:05 PM
DanBO18
Tourer

Originally Posted by b bop n bob
I find the safety strap is only good for one thing. It make a nice replacement handle on the garbage can when the raccoons have chewed off the plastic one.

My first reaction was to leave the thing off. Then I realized that I think it needs the strap to break it up a bit. Next to the stock seat, I'm afraid it looks like a pillow in a pillow case. It's comfy, and I like the added room that, combined with moving the foot controls forward 3", make my bike much more comfortable for me. But I'm not sure this is the one. Maybe it'll look better when I'm running with a sissy bar when I want to carry a backpack strapped to it. Or maybe I'm over-reacting and I need to take a break from thinking about this for a while.

Anyway, here's pics. Should have had them ready when I first posted this review. Even the dog isn't sure about it.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (07-27-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 12:46 AM
rideamap
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

It's been several years from this post, how do you like the seat? Are you still using it or did you switch to something else? I'm 6'5" also and looking at legroom options.

Old 05-03-2022, 08:37 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,363 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Yup its an old post but heres a new answer... I JUST put one on my 22 RGS. It moves yo way back in the riders box, the stock seat was cramped and it moves you up just a hair. Its way better than stock but IMO, still not as good as the Saddlemen Road Sofa. I only have 200 miles on the seat so I am giving it a chance. The rear of the seat is really good what I was told by my OL.

The following users liked this post:
Gimlet (07-27-2022)
Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 AM
rideamap
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, I just ordered one.

Old 07-27-2022, 04:16 PM
Gimlet
Road Master
Received 2,162 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBO18

My first reaction was to leave the thing off. Then I realized that I think it needs the strap to break it up a bit. Next to the stock seat, I'm afraid it looks like a pillow in a pillow case. It's comfy, and I like the added room that, combined with moving the foot controls forward 3", make my bike much more comfortable for me. But I'm not sure this is the one. Maybe it'll look better when I'm running with a sissy bar when I want to carry a backpack strapped to it. Or maybe I'm over-reacting and I need to take a break from thinking about this for a while.

Anyway, here's pics. Should have had them ready when I first posted this review. Even the dog isn't sure about it.

I ordered a Tallboy with my '22 Low Rider S. The seat hasn't arrived yet so I'm breaking the bike in with the stock seat to see how I get on with it. I'm six foot with lower back problems. Some days I really struggle with the stock seat, especially on bumpy roads, other days I'm quite comfortable, but I'd definitely like to sit higher and further back.
I started googling the Tallboy after having ordered it and I was afraid it was going to look like a sofa on the bike. Actually, I don't think it looks too bad at all on your Breakout. It is big and it's a shame they don't offer the Tallboy as a solo. That would take a lot of the bulk out of it (and the strap). The OE looks better it is true, but if the Tallboy makes it a more pleasurable bike to ride, I can definitely live with the way it looks looks.