Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 FatBob 114ci Unbiased review - I really wanted to hate this bike..... but it's good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:19 AM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Very good descriptive review. Yes this bike if for the next generation of HD riders but so what? That's called survival. The new M8 114 is a great engine and with some modifications will get the job done for sure.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:20 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by musclehd
How is comfort on the new Fat Bob? I haven't seen any comments about comfort on any of the new softails...
Excellent, the seat is really good. Had that soft gel feeling like a saddlemen. Enough lumbar support to lock you in when accelerating

Originally Posted by Rfc
I might have missed it in the review but what horsepower is the Fat Bob 114 putting out???
Hotbike magazine did a dyno run, High 80's and 110ft lb off the top of my head.

Originally Posted by artsbest
Very good descriptive review. Yes this bike if for the next generation of HD riders but so what? That's called survival. The new M8 114 is a great engine and with some modifications will get the job done for sure.
Absolutely, cant regurgitate the same stuff for 30 years and expect people to keep buying them. This may convert a few sportsbike guys too.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:34 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Full stiffness? Wow, when I tried that I could feel every grain of asphalt pass under me, and small cracks became sharp jolts. But you sound like you’re capable of riding the bike at the extremes of it’s performance envelop. It must be fun to be you.

I don’t feel any dive at all in the front forks. My bike is a different model. But I think it has more to do with your expertise vs. my casual rider skill set. This bike’s handling is far above and beyond what my old ‘03 Softail was capable of. Got out in the hills this afternoon for 170 miles and it’s just a joy on winding country roads. This doesn’t have the same lean angle as the Fat Bob, but for a Breakout it leans over pretty well and very confidently. So cool to ride a cruiser like this and get a sport bike feel too. Cheers!

Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM
Hacksaw580
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I just hit the 3000 mile mark on my 2018 FXFBS yesterday and I find myself still smiling over the performance and handling. What I don't like are the ugly as hell pipes. I am impatiently waiting for my 2Bros 2 into 1 exhaust so I can shed what looks to be an exhaust system that has mufflers bigger than my truck. And probably weighs the same as my truck. I have no idea what Harley was thinking when they went with that monstrosity.
My second gripe is "Why in the hell they put forward controls on a bike built for performance?" I priced up mid controls from a Street Bob and it came out to over $700 to order all the parts. My other gripe is that the seat design leaves you with a rattling seat. Just grab the seat in the front on any new fatBob and lift up on it and you will see how loose they are. Where were the quality engineers when this was designed. I have checked about a dozen FXFBS and FXFB at multiple dealers and they all are as loose as mine.

I can say Harley has scored a 100 on the FatBob 114 with the handling and performance.

Looks = 50 with the ugly heavy pipes, I am getting used to the headlight, It amuses me with all the people confusing it with a Jap Bike when I blow by them at 130.

Sound = FAIL - I can not hear it above the wind noise in my ears. I have a Yamaha dirt bike that is louder than the FatBob S.

Fit and finish = FAIL- with the exposed wiring on the left side of the steering neck, the loose seat, forward controls.

Parts availability = FAIL with the total lack of add on parts available I have checked most dealers in my state and none of them can get add on parts yet for any of the new Softails. They should have had parts available from the first day of release.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Hacksaw580
Intermediate

I just hit the 3000 mile mark on my 2018 FXFBS yesterday and I find myself still smiling over the performance and handling. What I don't like are the ugly as hell pipes. I am impatiently waiting for my 2Bros 2 into 1 exhaust so I can shed what looks to be an exhaust system that has mufflers bigger than my truck. And probably weighs the same as my truck. I have no idea what Harley was thinking when they went with that monstrosity.
My second gripe is "Why in the hell they put forward controls on a bike built for performance?" I priced up mid controls from a Street Bob and it came out to over $700 to order all the parts. My other gripe is that the seat design leaves you with a rattling seat. Just grab the seat in the front on any new fatBob and lift up on it and you will see how loose they are. Where were the quality engineers when this was designed. I have checked about a dozen FXFBS and FXFB at multiple dealers and they all are as loose as mine.

I can say Harley has scored a 100 on the FatBob 114 with the handling and performance.

Looks = 50 with the ugly heavy pipes, I am getting used to the headlight, It amuses me with all the people confusing it with a Jap Bike when I blow by them at 130.

Sound = FAIL - I can not hear it above the wind noise in my ears. I have a Yamaha dirt bike that is louder than the FatBob S.

Fit and finish = FAIL- with the exposed wiring on the left side of the steering neck, the loose seat, forward controls.

Parts availability = FAIL with the total lack of add on parts available I have checked most dealers in my state and none of them can get add on parts yet for any of the new Softails. They should have had parts available from the first day of release.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacksaw580
Especially with 60 day window on performance upgrades so that they’re included in the warranty. When the parts take a month or more to get, this is tight or even impossible. I know others don’t care about warranty, but this bike is expensive enough without me having to fix factory defects. And being a first year model, there might be. With the 60-day rule, I wish that at least performance parts were immediately available.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I know last year some dealers worked out the paperwork for customers whose parts took too long to come in within the 60 day window. Hopefully they will do that for the new Softails too.

The following users liked this post:
DanBO18 (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 10:32 AM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

So, how is it on wheelies?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM
Hacksaw580
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ronaldrwl
So, how is it on wheelies?

Both the 114 and 107 will weelie quite well. The only problem I have is the forward controls are kind of awkward. Kind of strange to have your feet above your head for so long. Tough to hold your foot to be ready for the rear brake. It needs Mid controls from the Street Bob. The only problem is that it will cost you $700 plus for all the parts to convert it. Just another HD way to get you to part with your $$$.
To make it even better the rear sprocket should be a 70.

Last edited by Hacksaw580; 09-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacksaw580
Both the 114 and 107 will weelie quite well. The only problem I have is the forward controls are kind of awkward. Kind of strange to have your feet above your head for so long. Tough to hold your foot to be ready for the rear brake. It needs Mid controls from the Street Bob. The only problem is that it will cost you $700 plus for all the parts to convert it. Just another HD way to get you to part with your $$$.
To make it even better the rear sprocket should be a 70.
They'll eventually release a "kit" for less most likely.

Quick Reply: 2018 FatBob 114ci Unbiased review - I really wanted to hate this bike..... but it's good!