Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 FatBob 114ci Unbiased review - I really wanted to hate this bike..... but it's good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:40 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

So I had a nice long test ride on a 114" Fat Bob today. I have one on order, but there is a long wait to get the Industrial Grey denim colour in the UK, and basically all of the 2018 Fat Bobs over here are already sold, whatever colour you choose.

Anyway, the bike was a blast to ride. There's plenty of power there stock, but I will go Stage 2 on my bike right off the bat with the Torque cam just because I can. One thing that made me laugh was kicking it into third from second at high revs as i was passing a line of cars. The bike kicked me in the *** and briefly spun the back tire. Nice.

In terms of handling, it's a definite upgrade over my Dyna and over all the pre 2018 Softails I have ridden. The bike feels very light, beautifully balanced and is eminently "flickable". I didn't feel my Dyna was lacking in the suspension department, but this frame is just better. Hands down. No fuzziness through tight turns or fast sweepers, that I hadn't even realised was there with the Dyna until I rode the new frame. It holds lines perfectly and carves corners beautifully. It inspires confidence. The mono shock suspension and inverted front forks are excellent and swallow bumps really well. I'd need to play with the preload a bit to get it perfect, but well....I can do that in seconds with the adjuster on the side.

Around town and in slow traffic it was an absolute joy to ride. Light and very responsive to all control inputs. In fast turns and on the highway it was superb as well. Stable and planted.

Passing is effortless even up to high highway speeds and the gearbox is nicely matched to the torque of the motor. It feels like you need to shift less often than on my Dyna.

The seating position is excellent. The seat is super comfy, but also grips your *** very well. I am 5'8" and the bike is absolutely perfect for me. I really like the "not so forward" forward controls as they are more like mids compared to my Dyna's forwards. You can easily put more control input into the bike through the pegs. I won't be changing to proper mids.

I was a bit worried about the footpegs, because they look really small, but they are actually super comfortable and at high speed I didn't get the wind pressure on my boots that I used to on the Dyna. The back brake pedal position is much lower than on the Dyna and I was a bit put off at first - but because my legs come down more vertically on to the pegs, it's actually OK. Will take a bit of getting used to, or I may adjust it up a little bit.

The instrument cluster is very good too. Visible and clear and with a permanent gear indicator as well. I like having the tacho as the main dial rather than a speedo on the Dyna.

The bar position was good for me. I won't need higher risers or different bars.

The mirrors sucked. I will need mirror extenders because I couldn't really see much behind my shoulders, no matter how I adjusted them.

The bike had SE Street Cannon mufflers, and although it sounded good at higher speeds, it was too quiet for me anywhere below 2.5K RPM. So there's a set of S&S slip ons in my future. I also really like the look of the stock exhaust system, so hopefully someone will make a catless header pipe in the future that will keep the stock exhaust shields. I might get the shields ceramic coated black at some point.

The Dunlop tires felt good for a change! Much better than the stock Dunlops on my Dyna Fat Bob and maybe close to Avon Cobras. No need to change those until they wear out.

The styling is controversial to some people, but I actually love it - including the headlight. It's very muscle car to me. I got a lot of people complimenting me on the bike when I stopped at a local biker gathering spot - including from the sports bike crowd. Interestingly, there were a lot of sport bikes parked up at the dealership today and a lot of the riders were signed up for test rides on the new Softails.

I was a bit suspicious of the new small tank until I rode the bike. The size means you can really tuck in close to the bike and helps you to really chuck it around. Downside is the range, but c'est la vie.

I will tour on this bike next year. A clip on windshield and rack with a rolling tour bag and I should be set. I think it will be just fine for long highway rides with stops every 130 miles or so for gas.

All in all, I think Harley actually hit a home run with this bike. The pipes need fixed in terms of sound, but that's been the same with all new Harleys for years. Some mirror extenders or different mirrors are needed and for some reason, the entire bike is blacked out already apart from the clutch and front brake levers - so I'll need to replace those.

Anyway - it's a super bike and a major, major upgrade from the older Dyna and Softail lines. I just wish my one would get delivered quicker....

Last edited by adm; 09-30-2017 at 10:43 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by adm:
Graham UK (05-05-2018), Rakthi (09-30-2017), rauchman (10-18-2017), Thingfish (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Nice write up. Sounds like you're going to be pretty happy when yours shows up!
I'm still tempted by the torque cam, although I'm pretty satisfied stock so far. Stage 1 might be enough for me...for now....

The longer you ride it the nicer it gets.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
I'm still tempted by the torque cam, although I'm pretty satisfied stock so far. Stage 1 might be enough for me...for now....

I think I will enjoy it for sure!

Also, I forgot to mention that the clutch feel is really good. Much better than the hydraulic clutch M8s I have ridden. Pull is light and it's dead easy to keep in the friction zone when doing slow speed manoeuvres. I found the hydraulic clutch to be more "binary" while this one is definitely analog.

The gear box action was good as well. Smooth, but with a firm "click" between each gear. Very positive and the bike didn't have the typical CLUNK on shifting from neutral to first.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:32 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
I think I will enjoy it for sure!

Also, I forgot to mention that the clutch feel is really good. Much better than the hydraulic clutch M8s I have ridden. Pull is light and it's dead easy to keep in the friction zone when doing slow speed manoeuvres. I found the hydraulic clutch to be more "binary" while this one is definitely analog.

The gear box action was good as well. Smooth, but with a firm "click" between each gear. Very positive and the bike didn't have the typical CLUNK on shifting from neutral to first.
I agree 100%. The shifting is smoother overall but deffinately still Harley shifting which I like. Very positive action and engagement. Feels beefy and well suited to handle the torque.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:18 PM
DanBO18
Tourer
Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish

I occasionally hammer it in 4th gear from 50-to75 mph to get a good feel for the motor before the torque cam goes in. That will be my “feel” check to see if I can tell the difference. Of course it will be upgraded with both I & II at once so I won’t be able to attribute any difference I notice to only the cam.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Hacksaw580
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Put the TBR stainless pipe on yesterday

Finished adding a couple things to my 18 FXFBS - TBR stainless pipe with carbon fiber tip. SE Pro Street Tuner along with the Smart Tune Pro Wide Band auto tuner. Wow what a difference. It seems to me that Harley designed the stock exhaust as a heavy anchor to keep the bike situated within our earthly atmosphere. The TBR pipe weighs in at about 14lbs while the stock exhaust is about 48lbs.
Now Harley had claimed to lighten the 2018 Fat Bob up by 32 lbs. from the previous Dyna Fat Bob however if they had gone with a lighter 2 into 1 pipe that number would be an amazing 64lbs lighter. Just the 32lbs removed from the exhaust equals aprox 4.57 HP increase.

The following 4 users liked this post by Hacksaw580:
cvaria (10-05-2017), Gremski (10-05-2017), StreetBob18 (10-05-2017), vyasar (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Gremski
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy smokes that looks nice. Thanks for posting the pic!

Old 10-05-2017, 02:16 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Wow that's a 36lb weight savings...

3.4hp gained back to go faster right there. (@ 9.4lbs per 1hp)

Nice!

Last edited by Thingfish; 10-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacksaw580
Both the 114 and 107 will weelie quite well. The only problem I have is the forward controls are kind of awkward. Kind of strange to have your feet above your head for so long. Tough to hold your foot to be ready for the rear brake.
Switch that brake lever over to the one on the Breakout. It's angled way better and the pad is much larger and harder to miss.

That Two Bros pipe looks great on it.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:44 AM
- Elliott
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacksaw580

Finished adding a couple things to my 18 FXFBS - TBR stainless pipe with carbon fiber tip. SE Pro Street Tuner along with the Smart Tune Pro Wide Band auto tuner. Wow what a difference. It seems to me that Harley designed the stock exhaust as a heavy anchor to keep the bike situated within our earthly atmosphere. The TBR pipe weighs in at about 14lbs while the stock exhaust is about 48lbs.
Now Harley had claimed to lighten the 2018 Fat Bob up by 32 lbs. from the previous Dyna Fat Bob however if they had gone with a lighter 2 into 1 pipe that number would be an amazing 64lbs lighter. Just the 32lbs removed from the exhaust equals aprox 4.57 HP increase.

Sounds clip please...

Quick Reply: 2018 FatBob 114ci Unbiased review - I really wanted to hate this bike..... but it's good!