Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!

Just picked up my new bike and wanted to make a few simple mods. Curious if anybody has anything out other than out of the HD catalog.

1. Most pressing need is a comfortable passenger seat and backrest, preferably with a small luggage rack. I've got a bag similar to this: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/830...oaAknZEALw_wcB which I'd like to be able to slide over the passenger backrest on top of the luggage rack.

2. After the wife is good, then I'd like to get a seat that can accommodate a back rest for me as well.

3. Highway pegs that don't require engine guards

4. New clamp for my X-grip iphone mount (what size are the bars?)

Those are the biggies. I've got a list of upgrades that can wait until the aftermarket catches up:

5. Stage 1 kit, hopefully something that will allow for full sized saddle bags

6. Quick disconnect full size saddle bags

7. Clip on windscreen

8. Cruise control (pretty sure this one is HD only)

If anybody has any leads on aftermarket stuff that would be great. If it's only official HD gear right now, anybody already done any of this who can comment on how they like it?

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2017, 04:12 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I saw a vid on YouTube with HD accessories to make it a great commuter. Bags and windshield etc.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike flies
Just picked up my new bike and wanted to make a few simple mods. Curious if anybody has anything out other than out of the HD catalog.

1. Most pressing need is a comfortable passenger seat and backrest, preferably with a small luggage rack. I've got a bag similar to this: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/830...oaAknZEALw_wcB which I'd like to be able to slide over the passenger backrest on top of the luggage rack.

2. After the wife is good, then I'd like to get a seat that can accommodate a back rest for me as well.

3. Highway pegs that don't require engine guards

4. New clamp for my X-grip iphone mount (what size are the bars?)

Those are the biggies. I've got a list of upgrades that can wait until the aftermarket catches up:

5. Stage 1 kit, hopefully something that will allow for full sized saddle bags

6. Quick disconnect full size saddle bags

7. Clip on windscreen

8. Cruise control (pretty sure this one is HD only)

If anybody has any leads on aftermarket stuff that would be great. If it's only official HD gear right now, anybody already done any of this who can comment on how they like it?

Thanks!
Bags, windscreens, back rest, comfortable passenger seats, highway pegs on a brand new '18 Fatboy? If the first thing you do when you bring it home is try to turn it into something that it's not, then one has to wonder why you picked that model in the first place. What you describe sounds like other readily available '18 models (ie, Heritage, RK etc...). Why not buy one of those instead of trying to turn a FB into one of them?

Last edited by T^2; 09-30-2017 at 07:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by T^2:
ocezam (10-01-2017), Scudda (12-18-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 08:00 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Bags, windscreens, back rest, comfortable passenger seats, highway pegs on a brand new '18 Fatboy? If the first thing you do when you bring it home is try to turn it into something that it's not, then one has to wonder why you picked that model in the first place. What you describe sounds like other readily available '18 models (ie, Heritage, RK etc...). Why not buy one of those instead of trying to turn a FB into one of them?
Yeah, he could have bought a RK and be stuck with bags on, small back tire, and old man looks. But instead he bought a bike he can convert for the comfort of his wife, and then strip down for bike night.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (12-18-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Amanelot
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
He almost bought a heritage, and after a long internal struggle, the fat boy was what his heart was set on

Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by T^2
You apparently missed the thread where I was asking what I should buy where I would have welcomed this reply, unfortunately this one is asking how to modify what I already bought. When you buy my next FB,I'll be happy to leave it as-is but since I'm the guy footing the bill for this one and she's already in my garage, you're just being an *** with a reply like yours.

Originally Posted by big papa AZ
Yeah, he could have bought a RK and be stuck with bags on, small back tire, and old man looks. But instead he bought a bike he can convert for the comfort of his wife, and then strip down for bike night.
Exactly! For the record, I'd have replaced the seat on any bike other than another Ultra (which I was not going to buy). I may never get to the windscreen and saddle bags but the passenger seat on the FB is obviously meant to be thrown in the trash. Reminds me of the back seat of my last R6 without the convenience of underseat storage. The rider seat isn't bad but my previous job left me with a back that likes a little support. The stock seat is not compatible with a back rest so it has to go as well.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:00 PM
kenny55
Tourer
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts

Congratulations on your purchase. If you're like me you are surfing through the H-D catalog and website looking for the add-ons to match your list. I too just bought a 2018 today. Softail Heritage.

I am finding limited information still with a lot of the 2018 parts and accessories.

Like you my first priority is to get my wife comfortable for riding and my wife has got accustomed to passenger floorboards. At this time i cannot find passenger floorboard mounts for any of the 2018 Softail models.

I am able to find backrest, sissybar, and pad and another H-D dealer so I am headed there tomorrow.

As usual (on my 3rd Harley now) the seat is very uncomfortable for me. I'm 6' tall and considering buying the Tallboy seat.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Congrats. Gotta go with your gut. It's just going to take a minute for the aftermarket to show up. You could look at Corbin seats. They have passenger and rider backrests that don't require additional hardware and are quick detach. HD has racks. The rest is coming. For now start wearing that motor in. With all the gear driven everyting they start out very tight. Takes 500+ miles for them to start coming fully to life. Enjoy!!

Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike flies
You apparently missed the thread where I was asking what I should buy where I would have welcomed this reply, unfortunately this one is asking how to modify what I already bought. When you buy my next FB,I'll be happy to leave it as-is but since I'm the guy footing the bill for this one and she's already in my garage, you're just being an *** with a reply like yours.

Exactly! For the record, I'd have replaced the seat on any bike other than another Ultra (which I was not going to buy). I may never get to the windscreen and saddle bags but the passenger seat on the FB is obviously meant to be thrown in the trash. Reminds me of the back seat of my last R6 without the convenience of underseat storage. The rider seat isn't bad but my previous job left me with a back that likes a little support. The stock seat is not compatible with a back rest so it has to go as well.
So what color did you end up with? Congrats on th new bike.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kenny55
Congratulations on your purchase. If you're like me you are surfing through the H-D catalog and website looking for the add-ons to match your list. I too just bought a 2018 today. Softail Heritage.

I am finding limited information still with a lot of the 2018 parts and accessories.

Like you my first priority is to get my wife comfortable for riding and my wife has got accustomed to passenger floorboards. At this time i cannot find passenger floorboard mounts for any of the 2018 Softail models.

I am able to find backrest, sissybar, and pad and another H-D dealer so I am headed there tomorrow.

As usual (on my 3rd Harley now) the seat is very uncomfortable for me. I'm 6' tall and considering buying the Tallboy seat.
Thanks. Wife hasn't said anything about floorboards so for now I'll just leave her the pegs. All I've found so far is the HD stuff. The touring seat looks comfy in pics but my dealer didn't have any in stock. On Monday I'll find out if I can return it if I don't like it, if so I'm going to get that touring seat, back rests, and the short rack. I haven't taken any long rides yet but for 30 minutes the seat is fine, I know I'd be more comfortable with some highway pegs and a back rest though.

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Congrats. Gotta go with your gut. It's just going to take a minute for the aftermarket to show up. You could look at Corbin seats. They have passenger and rider backrests that don't require additional hardware and are quick detach. HD has racks. The rest is coming. For now start wearing that motor in. With all the gear driven everyting they start out very tight. Takes 500+ miles for them to start coming fully to life. Enjoy!!
Thanks. I have a 50 mile round trip commute for the next 3 weeks so it'll be broken-in in 2 weeks and 1k mile service around the end of October or the beginning of November. Earlier if I get the touring seat and luggage rack then make a weekend out of the Smokies.

Originally Posted by bbissell
So what color did you end up with? Congrats on th new bike.
I got the Tempest Black. Bike looks great in the sun, no regrets choosing that color.

Quick Reply: Bought an '18 Fatboy today, need mods yesterday!