Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jump starting a 2016 Heritage (FLSTC)

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 04:40 PM
irydasteelhorse
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

battery tenders are not meant to charge a battery from a total dead state. they float a small charge to "maintain" a battery that already has a charge.
you should have pulled the battery and put it on a good 2-4 amp charger overnight and give 'er a go.
I know that's not always what a guy can do, but would have the best outcome.
the bolts idea sounds good to make jumping it work out.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:54 PM
chrisj49
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Will Belden
Okay, I see the confusion. I picked a crap picture to post of a battery. That one above shows a hole in the side of the post, as well as the top. Mine is not like that. (Same brand, I think, so I jumped the gun on downloading that image.) There's just a top hole. That's it. Stubby screw goes through the ring connectors, has a Phillips head.
Interesting. Do your battery cables have 90 degree angles on the connectors? I don't know if the stock setup changed, but the connections you describe would put a lot of strain on cables that have connectors for the side mounts, where the connectors are straight in line with the cable.

Does your seat contact the cables when it's all connected?

Asking out of curiosity as I have never seen it set up like that. Could you post a picture when you have a chance?

Old 10-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Amanelot
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

So, like a dummy, I left my ignition switch on after parking the bike on Sunday and ended up with a dead battery. Realized it yesterday morning, put the battery tender on the bike (via SAE plug), which has worked before, but not on an overnight drain like this. Uber'ed into work, and a co-worker had a nice jump start kit that just didn't cut it for his big ol' V8 Nissan Titan, was planning to return it. "Let me take it home, try it out."

No dice after charging for an entire work day . Was hoping not to have to need the jump-start gizmo since I had the battery tender on all day, but no charge so let's give it a try.

Here's the problem: How in the [blankety blank *&^*&%^*%] could anyone get the jaws of the clips around the posts on this particular battery / model???

There's almost NOTHING to grab onto. And while there is a tiny bit of post you could try to use, it's recessed into the top of the battery case so much that you can't get the edge of the clip in between the post and the case. (As you should be able to see from the picture I attached.) And then you have the wires attached just taking up more room. How does ANYONE jumpstart a bike battery??? Forget that this was a jump starter gizmo...even regular jumper cables from the car (which are generally bigger, anyway) wouldn't be able to clip on. Big ol' WTF moment for me. Because I love standing out in the rain trying to jump-start a battery (and not being able to accomplish it) in the drizzle at 8am when I should be at work.

This morning it was raining, the battery still no good after another 12 hours of battery tender time. Wife is using the Ford to go out of town (fortunately not until about 10 am) and her little Mazda Miata also has a dead battery (because we never drive it). Moved the battery tender to the car, took the truck before she needed to leave and fetched a new battery at O'Reilly for $115 or so, all in, tax, core, etc. Able to start the bike and ride to work...in the rain, with my crinkly) rain gear) pants.

Would love to know what part of this equation I'm not grasping. Let's hear it, folks.
I've done this a few times on harleys that I have owned. I've jump started, tendered, and roll started them but a few weeks/months down the road the battery has always crapped out. Even did it to a 3 month old brand new 2015.

They small Harley batteries don't handle being drained completely dead too well. Do yourself a favor and just go buy a new battery before you find yourself stranded somewhere

oh yes! Using bumper cables from a car is a huge pain in the ads. The last time I did it, after finally getting a half ads connection, I had to let it sit hooked up the car (not running) for an hour or two before it started

Last edited by Amanelot; 10-03-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 PM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

The AGM batteries need a special technique to charge when deeply discharged. The chargers detect the low voltage and shut off.

Set this up so you can do all these steps in close proximity. You need to have another, good, 12V battery to do this. Connect the good battery in parallel to the discharged battery, then connect the charger to the discharged battery. The charger will read the voltage from the good battery and start providing charge current. After a few minutes, you can disconnect the good battery, leaving the charger connected to the discharged battery. Charging will continue and the discharged battery will get back to normal in a couple of hours.

The following users liked this post:
Will Belden (10-05-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 11:31 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

My charger came with a short cable that plugs into the wire on the bike, it has clips on the ends. I thought I could just clip this wire to a jumper cable from a car, and jump start the bike.
Will this work?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:52 AM
r1cochet
Tourer
Received 203 Likes on 86 Posts

Maybe too much current for that little cable.

If the AGM battery has dropped down to 8V, it might act like a short to the car battery. I did the same thing (left ignition on) on my '14 FLSTC - so speaking from experience. Jump start didn't work. Only the 2nd good battery trick I mentioned above...

Old 10-04-2017, 08:02 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by balloo
My charger came with a short cable that plugs into the wire on the bike, it has clips on the ends. I thought I could just clip this wire to a jumper cable from a car, and jump start the bike.
Will this work?
No that will not work.
The starter pulls more current than a charger cable can handle and you will melt the cable (trust me I know )

Old 10-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Will Belden
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

...took the truck before she needed to leave and fetched a new battery at O'Reilly for $115 or so, all in, tax, core, etc. Able to start the bike and ride to work...
Just for those that are suggesting "go buy a new battery".... I did go buy a new battery. However, this question centered around the fact that the new battery has the same physical build as the old battery. I did appreciate the suggestion by one poster, though, that a battery tender is not a battery recharger (something about "2-4 amps"), which is definitely something I did not know.

I just went looking (Google) for a better picture of the battery, but every image I'm seeing shows both a top bolt hole as well as a side bolt hole. I'm seriously wondering now if my battery has both of those, but I simply didn't notice it. It's been raining for a couple of days, so not going to immediately "go play with electricity", but I am definitely going to check that out. I have the extra screws from the old battery, so I might be able to easily use both.

Again, though, thanks very much for all the input!

Old 10-04-2017, 11:20 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
No that will not work.
The starter pulls more current than a charger cable can handle and you will melt the cable (trust me I know )
Thanks for the information - - I thought I had the perfect set up by keeping this in the bags. Wonder what this is for? - - clips on one end, and plug in on the other end.
Balloo

Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by balloo
Thanks for the information - - I thought I had the perfect set up by keeping this in the bags. Wonder what this is for? - - clips on one end, and plug in on the other end.
Balloo
Battery tenders come with a plug and clamp cable.

A lot of people who store their bikes over the off season pull their battery and then clamp on a battery tender at their homes.

Quick Reply: Jump starting a 2016 Heritage (FLSTC)