2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,430 Likes on 1,577 Posts

Originally Posted by Dread
I'll check what my dealer billed me for the work as I picked up the bike last night and didn't even bother to look at labour on the invoice... I was too impatient and just wanted to take it for a rip! I'm at work atm, so I'll have a look in a few hours when i get home.

That said... my first blush impression of the TQ cam and Street Cannons.

TQ cam... HOLLY SHEEET what a difference. The bike feels waaaay more responsive on the throttle, and my god does she pull now... just roll on and hang on. Seriously... the only bike I can compare this too is my old 2001 VMAX. If you are on the fence about the TQ cam, hop off and just get it done. I was at the HD dealer when the tech brought it back from a test ride, and it would have taken surgery to remove the massive grin on his face.

Street Cannons... very disappointed... not much better than the stock sound initially, but may deepen as they break in. It does have a little bark when you crack it, but nothing great. I have heard other examples of M8's with basically the same setup (TQ cam and Street Cannons) that sound pretty damn good (DanBO18's thread), which I was hoping my bike would sound like. Looking forward to hearing the slipons from S&S. I'll post a video soon so you can hear the sound for yourself.

That said... I'm happy the bike is in beast mode now, but will be even happier once I get the sound worked out.

Cheers!
Give the Cannons about 500 - 750 miles.......... the toner will change.

The following users liked this post:
Dread (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Awesome review of Stage 2....fun to read as I just dropped my Heritage off this morning for the torque cam...can't wait. I'm sure the Canons will get louder after the first 1500 miles too. Even the stock pipes were significantly louder by then.

Dread (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:26 PM
jeremiahpreston
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon61
10 hours ...even going in through the top ...are they peed you didn't buy the bike off them or something?

Waiting for the lifters to bleed down may possibly waste an hour but they can be putting the exhaust back on, and re-flashing the ECU in that time. 3 hours, 4 tops.

Are they including a tuner/re-flash ...just thinking about all of the debate around warranties and who does the work and if you are keeping yourself covered in that regard (PV on hand with tune ready and all)

My local DEALERS are all quoting 10 hours on cam replacements... I refuse to pay that but realize that I'm not the guy who should be doing that kind of "surgery" on a new bike... I really wanted to make the swap but at this point will just be holding off. I'm in Southeast Michigan so if anyone has a dealer in the area at 4 hours let me know...

Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 PM
Dread
Cruiser
Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Awesome review of Stage 2....fun to read as I just dropped my Heritage off this morning for the torque cam...can't wait. I'm sure the Canons will get louder after the first 1500 miles too. Even the stock pipes were significantly louder by then.
Oh man... you are in for a treat! Can not wait to hear your thoughts! It realy does wake the 114 right up... I'm freakin loving it (insert massive shiet eating grin here).

Yea, I think the Canons tone will adjust once I get some more miles on the bike (it rarely snows in Victoria and I pretty much ride year round... not so lucky in other parts of Canada). Will be waiting until next spring before I decide on different slippons, but realy have my eye on S&S. Waiting patiently for ADM's S&S slipons to arrive so he can post a review / sound bite.

Oh yea, my dealer charged me 7 hours labor for the stage II install. Wish it was 4 hours like others have been quoted, but it's done now and i'm happy.

Cheers!

Last edited by Dread; 10-26-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Thingfish (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM
david.howard.05@gmail.com
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S&S

Originally Posted by adm
Well.... I got a little time on the bike with Fuel Moto's "Stock Improved" tune today.

First impressions are that it feels "better" - which isn't very helpful. What it does feel like is a little more powerful and a bit smoother on opening the throttle. This is all a bit subjective as it was powerful and smooth before.

My butt dyno says that there is a bit more torque further to the right of the curve. It doesn't seem to drop off so soon. I also found myself changing gear slightly less.

The bike was also a bit smoother in stop and go traffic.

All in all - not night and day (which you wouldn't expect anyway), but a definite improvement.

I'll try a bit of autotuning tomorrow or at the weekend and see how it goes.

Then hopefully S&S slip ons next week.....
I just pulled the trigger on the S&S slip ons today. They are projecting delivery around the middle of next month. Super excited to get some bark from this beast. We'll compare notes once I get them on. Has anyone else looked into the S&S 550G cam? I like the dyno chart....
https://www.sscycle.com/products/550g-gear-drive-camshaft-kit-for-2017-18-m8-touring-models/

Thoughts?

Old 10-26-2017, 09:34 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Oh man... you are in for a treat! Can not wait to hear your thoughts! It realy does wake the 114 right up... I'm freakin loving it (insert massive shiet eating grin here).

Yea, I think the Canons tone will adjust once I get some more miles on the bike (it rarely snows in Victoria and I pretty much ride year round... not so lucky in other parts of Canada). Will be waiting until next spring before I decide on different slippons, but realy have my eye on S&S. Waiting patiently for ADM's S&S slipons to arrive so he can post a review / sound bite.

Oh yea, my dealer charged me 7 hours labor for the stage II install. Wish it was 4 hours like others have been quoted, but it's done now and i'm happy.

Cheers!
Mine is at 7 now with a 1k service. 2.2 for the 1k. 10 hours is way high. Will be waiting as the tourqe cam kit is back ordered so about the 10th on Nov or so. Thingfish post a video of yours when done if you will!

Old 10-27-2017, 01:47 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by bbissell
Mine is at 7 now with a 1k service. 2.2 for the 1k. 10 hours is way high. Will be waiting as the tourqe cam kit is back ordered so about the 10th on Nov or so. Thingfish post a video of yours when done if you will!
Will do.my quote was 7 hours for the stage 1+2 combined, but I'm hoping it'll come in closer to 5. I'll be picking it up Saturday.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Will do.my quote was 7 hours for the stage 1+2 combined, but I'm hoping it'll come in closer to 5. I'll be picking it up Saturday.
One thing to think about there, is a 1+2 shouldn't be any more than a 2 ...just in case they are using that angle to inflate time/cost

They have to remove the A/C to get to the pushrods and probably have to drop the exhausts to get the cam cover off.

...unless they went in through the top, which is a maybe a wee bitty more complicated on the oil/water cooled motors.

Thingfish (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 09:26 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Cheers!
Thanks Dread! Can't wait. I have a 7 hour quote too. Overall price though is $2150 ish...which I've paid for just a stage 1 on one occasion years past (full exhaust$$ RSD AC $$$...good Dyno$$$) so overall I'm happy if the gains meet my hopes

Old 10-27-2017, 09:30 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gordon61
One thing to think about there, is a 1+2 shouldn't be any more than a 2 ...just in case they are using that angle to inflate time/cost

They have to remove the A/C to get to the pushrods and probably have to drop the exhausts to get the cam cover off.

...unless they went in through the top, which is a maybe a wee bitty more complicated on the oil/water cooled motors.
Thanks G. Yeah, they've always done good work too. Forgot about the AC pull. Time adds up, but I think they estimate a little over because they know it's always a win when they can say "your final total is less!". I'll post the final number.

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....