2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 PM
blackmill
Sponsor
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by emdx3
Awesome. I may order one. Do you think it puts you further forward, back, or about the same? I'm 6'2" and don't wanna be any further forward.
a bit lower and back, at your height I can say you will love it. It's firmer and doesn't compress at all like the stock seat does.

The following users liked this post:
Gillham (05-21-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 02:43 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

A little update on the 19" windshield after doing 800 miles or so with it over the last 4 days.

Basically, it's pretty good! It's much nicer for long rides with all the wind blast off your body.

There is some minor buffeting over about 70mph (I tested up to about 100mph) but it's not bad at all. The airflow over the screen hits my helmet at around the top third of the visor, and does give a little turbulence, which results in wind noise at the top of the helmet. I think if the screen was about 2" higher it would be perfect. I might try mounting it higher up on the bike - with the top clamps on the fork tops where they extend from the top triple tree.

I tried one of those cheap screen extenders that clamps onto the top lip of the screen, but it didn't really make any difference so I took it off as the ride with the stock screen is pretty good and the extender was kind of visually annoying.

So - bottom line is that it does the job well. There is some minor buffeting, but not so much that it's a problem - more a noise issue which I solved by wearing earplugs.

The following users liked this post:
westbob66 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Gar1414

phil birch made the fairing I have it on my bike. Fits pretty well stands a little far off the bike but I think it looks good and got rid of the wind blast across the chest and highway speeds.
http://www.philbirch.nl/home.html here’s the link[/QUOTE]

I really like that, looks brutal!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
A little update on the 19" windshield after doing 800 miles or so with it over the last 4 days.

Basically, it's pretty good! It's much nicer for long rides with all the wind blast off your body.

There is some minor buffeting over about 70mph (I tested up to about 100mph) but it's not bad at all. The airflow over the screen hits my helmet at around the top third of the visor, and does give a little turbulence, which results in wind noise at the top of the helmet. I think if the screen was about 2" higher it would be perfect. I might try mounting it higher up on the bike - with the top clamps on the fork tops where they extend from the top triple tree.

I tried one of those cheap screen extenders that clamps onto the top lip of the screen, but it didn't really make any difference so I took it off as the ride with the stock screen is pretty good and the extender was kind of visually annoying.

So - bottom line is that it does the job well. There is some minor buffeting, but not so much that it's a problem - more a noise issue which I solved by wearing earplugs.
Exactly mirrors my experience.

I found that mounting it higher, plus fangs, = absolutely 100% perfect stillness, no buffeting, no anything.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:51 AM
Adamreading
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Such a newbie it hasn’t even arrived yet.

Hi. Firstly thanks Adm and all the other contributors to this thread, I’ve read the whole lot over two hours this morning and it all resonates with what I’ve been looking to do myself. It’s great to have people who have been there before to share ideas with.

Because of this thread I’ve joined the forum, though I’m still a week away from getting my bike. Hoping to pick it up next Monday.

I live in the UK, a place called Reading in Berkshire. I fell in love with the Fat Bob M8 from photos, then Test rode one and fell in love, and even though I had only bought my current XJR1300 6 weeks ago, decided to px it in!

For various reasons I ended up ordering from Warrs in Fulham, have been looked after over the phone only so far, but very impressed with the level of expertise and service. I’ve ordered:
FXFBS Fat Bob 114
sundowner seat (wife goes pillion so needed for green light on bike itself)
s&s ceramic black pipes
ceramic black full heat shield set (didnt know you could get the stock one coated but the replacements only about £200)
the Moustache Engine Guard (built in highway bars)
Profile Mirrors (stock ones hit my glove knuckle guard when I hit the clutch)
indicator switch extenders (found I was blipping the throttle on Test ride when I went to hit or cancel indicator)

Things I want:
Led front indicators (I’ve been researching the heinz ones for days, I really love the look, but I’m not a DIY type so would have to get them fitted if they aren’t plug and play. Plus those rear winglets look amazing.

I’d really like a curved LED rear/brake light that fits into the curve of the rear fender.

Tuning - dealer has told me no requirement to stage 1 with the S&S pipes as the stick 114 already has the airflow, but that buying a tuner like fuelpak 3 will improve power etc. I love the idea of it connecting to an iPhone app and giving lots of info whilst riding. (I run my iPhone on a quad lock system for nav etc anyway)
I kind of feel that I should save the tuning for when I start to get bored of the power, then it gives me a fairly cheap upgrade.

This is one is likely to cause discussion lol:
i ordered a dual camera motorbike Dashcam DVR system from China (1080fr 720rear) for the XJR, it’s arrived after ordering the fat bob. It’s very small and would have fitted under the seat of the xjr and powers direct off the battery. I just don’t know if I should try and find a way to fit it to the Harley. I have had various debates with fellow riders about the positives and negatives of a dash cam. This one connects to phone by WiFi so can be used as a rear view camera live. It’s recording on a loop and you choose when to save a file or a crash does that automatically. But also the police can seize it for evidence apparently. So the jury’s out. Any thoughts. Plus is there any space for box (it’s just a bit bigger than a matchbox)

I’m 48, been riding 24 years, too decrepit and arthritic to get my feet into sports bike mode any more, love the XJR1300, this was my 2nd, but Fat Bob spoke to me....

Anyway thanks again

Old 06-18-2018, 07:58 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Enjoy your Fat Bob - and I may well see you on the road at some point. I am over Guildford way myself.

You should have no problem fitting the dash cam box under the seat. There's plenty of room under there. Getting it attached to the positive pole of the battery will be a bit of a fiddle - but just google S2018 Softail battery removal and make sure you have a beer while you do it!

Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 AM
Sidefire
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey fellas,

​​​​​I'm an American FXFBS owner moving to the UK at the end of the year.

I purchased and installed the Blackmill license plate relocation bracket and really like the look, but I realized the UK may have different plates.

ADM, it looks like you used the Blackmill setup successfully, is that a standard plate?

Last edited by Sidefire; 06-18-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sidefire
Hey fellas,

​​​​​I'm a American FXFBS owner moving to the UK at the end of the year.

I purchased and installed the Blackmill license plate relocation bracket and really like the look, but I realized the UK may have different plates.

ADM, it looks like you used the Blackmill setup successfully, is that a standard plate?
Well.....no. It's not a standard UK plate and it's not road legal either.

However, the thing to be aware of here is the cops do not tend to stop bikes for having small number plates though, so it is very common to have US size plates. Typically, the cops will leave you alone but if they do pull you over (which is almost always for a different reason such as speeding or riding like a lunatic) then they can issue a ticket that says you need to put a full sized plate on the bike within 7 days and then have it certified at a registered vehicle test centre.

So there's a bit of risk associated with riding with an illegal plate, but not much.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Sidefire
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect, thank you for the gouge!

Old 07-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Weld Guy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HeinzBikes Winglet Turn Signals

Hello ADM, I too have a 2018 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob. I live in Milwaukee, WI USA where Harley-Davidson's are made. I by chance own a company Weld Guy and we do work for Harley every week. I purchased the HeinzBikes front turn signals and the rear winglet turn signals which you put own your Fat Bob. An issue I have is that the winglet turn signal has 4 wires ( I am guessing that your Harley had 4 wires also as you are in the United Kingdom / have an European Harley ? ) In the USA Harleys have 3 wire in the rear ( 1 ground, 1 tail light / on at all times , 1 for brake or flashing Turn signal - the computer tells it to flash / blink or stay on .... so if you are making a right turn while braking , right flashes bright and left stays on bright ) IF you have any insight on this I would appreciate it. I have a very good friend who is an experimental mechanic for Harley and he thinks the 4 wire Heinz bike system will be incompatible. Thanks much for any insight Kendall Polster. feel free to email me if you like also weldguy@weldguy.com

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....