2018+ Softail Models Breakout

ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 12:59 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Diavel
I have a Stage II torque cam with S&S slip ons. I don't have the before after numbers but it was dyna tuned. I can tell a world of difference after adding the cam and getting a tune. Before the install, I still had lots of torque but seemed uneven at times. Now I feel a large difference in power clean through up to 3000 - 3500 rpms. It took a few miles to get used to the throttle. Just a little touch would propel you forward faster than you expected. I'm perfectly happy with the new setup.
So -- you have an 18 Fat Bob 114, SE447 cam, stock exhaust, and S&S Grand Nationals slip-ons, right? And then you got it professionally Dyno tuned?

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I know you said you don't have a before/after sheet, but do you at least have a copy of the final Dyno sheet, or could you ask your tuner for a copy of it? I would really like to see the results of that tuning session. Also, did they use a TTS or PowerVision tuner? Thanks!

Last edited by FatBob2018; 09-06-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:19 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,460 Likes on 1,407 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
That improvement is outstanding. Your new curve looks like PuttNutt24's torque curve, and he had the Bassani and the Torque cam, so yeah, it looks like you're getting everything out of that combination that there is to have.

If I understand correctly: the red line is the stock exhaust, and SE tuner. Had you done any SmartTune sessions with that? Or, more importantly, was it dyno-tuned in that configuration, before removing the stock exhaust and replacing with the Bassani?

What I really want to know is -- how much of the improvement is due to a proper tune, and how much is due to the Bassani? Because tastes will vary, and I really really prefer the look of the stock exhaust over the Bassani; I just love the upswept look and the bronze color and the big throaty S&S mufflers.!
Well....the red curves are the stock exhaust with S&S mufflers - BUT I had removed the cats from the headers as well. The tuner was Powervision, not the HD SE tuner and it had been dyno tuned in that config - but not by someone that really knows Harleys. (Local Kawasaki tuning shop actually).

So it's difficult to tell how much of the improvement is down to the Bassani pipe, or the Tuner's skill.

I actually also prefer the look of the stock pipe (once I had the slip ons and ceramic coated the headers black), but the extra 20 ft lbs of torque at 3K rpm is difficult to say no to!

Old 09-06-2018, 01:55 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

Oberon hand levers are pretty nice. Bluestreakracing.ca in Canada carries them. Not sure if they have them for the"18"s yet..

Old 09-06-2018, 03:13 AM
MoneyFor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 955 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by vonh12
Oberon hand levers are pretty nice. Bluestreakracing.ca in Canada carries them. Not sure if they have them for the"18"s yet..
Yes they do ! Oberon had a waiting list until the end of september, I couldn't wait and bought myself the ones from Rick's.

But if you find some levers for a 2016 Breakout they will fit also, I tried myself because I own a 2016 Breakout.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:20 AM
Diavel
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have 2018 Fat Bob with stock exhaust, S&S slipons with the torque cam. It was tuned at the Harley dealarship. I was able to find the spec sheet.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 AM
Diavel
Novice

I forgot. Harley Street Tuner was used to tune also.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:40 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Diavel
Yes, I have 2018 Fat Bob with stock exhaust, S&S slipons with the torque cam. It was tuned at the Harley dealarship. I was able to find the spec sheet.

Thanks for looking that up! Okay, that's my same configuration, but I had thought yours had been tuned by a PowerVision or TTS or something, which would give us a direct exhaust--to-exhaust comparison. But you've got the same tuner I have, so we can't really compare ours against ADM's to see how much of the difference is the tuner, vs how much is the Bassani.

I agree with ADM, 20 ft/lbs all through the rev range is simply huge and difficult to ignore. I hope by the time my warranty is up, one of the manufacturers make a high-performance exhaust that matches the lines of the OEM. I would love that, especially if it could use the stock heat shields.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Diavel
Novice

I did not want to void the warranty so I went with Harley's tuner. I also, really like the look of the stock exhaust. Definitely going to keep it like it is throughout the warranty. I'm very happy with how she rides now.

Old 09-06-2018, 01:57 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member

Agree 100%. I am very happy with the looks and performance of the Harley Stage II, considering it maintains the warranty.

In a year, warranty is no longer a concern, and I am very interested in finding out how much performance a proper dyno tune could unlock. So far I can't find any example of a PV or TTS tune of a 114 with SE447 cam, but maintaining the stock exhaust. I have heard two cases of excellent gains when using the Bassani and a PV or TTS tune, but the question remains as to how much of the gain is due to the pipe, and how much is due to the tune.

If I knew that the tune was 95% of the gain and the exhaust was 5%, then that's a no-brainer, especially when exhaust systems cost around $800. If the exhaust is responsible for 80% of the gain and the tune only gets another 20%, well, at that point the exhaust change becomes crucial.

Like I said, I sure wish D&D, or V&H, or FuelMoto or Bassani or TBR or someone would introduce a high-performance exhaust that would maintain the lines of the stock. I mean, there's 3 out of 3 of us that would go for that, right?

Maybe with the introduction of the FXDR and what seems to be a shared head pipe with the Fat Bob, maybe the manufacturers will see enough of a potential market.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:08 PM
kgrammer
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 me for a system that maintains the original lines/look of the stock exhaust. IMO, that is a primary feature that gives the bike it's unique look.

The following users liked this post:
TomBe (10-30-2022)

Quick Reply: ADM's 2018 114" Fat Bob thread.....