Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Switched Brands Because of new 2018 Softail

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:08 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Traded a 2016 Road Glide for 114 Heritage. Keeping all my touring parts, tour pac, seat, and so on in case I go back to touring bike. Traded for what I thought was to good to pass up, 3K OTD. It's been sitting in the garage since December, can't wait to get out just need this winter weather to end.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:23 PM
vanwinkl
Stage III
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Came from a Honda and a BMW sportbike and am new to Harley. Fell in love with the new FatBob. Put a 1000 miles on it first 3 weeks.

Seth
'18 FatBob 114

The following users liked this post:
SgtThump (03-18-2018)
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold a BMW R1200 GS Adventure to get the Heritage 114.

Because of a fubar’d back I’m not riding dirt anymore and swinging my leg over the seat of that bike was a bit painful. It was significantly reducing my desire to ride.

I looked at a few other brands and the Fat Bob as well, but I figured the new Heritage would suit me best over the next few years.

I am really enjoying it. Just had a stage II done with the torque cam. Close to perfect.

Bmw’s And Ducati’s are great bikes. And the GSA in particular is a do-almost-anything bike.

I am really enjoying my commute on the Heritage. Much better than riding in a cage. And I’m looking forward to some longer rides this year

Old 03-18-2018, 01:15 AM
GetNunn
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was looking at the 2018 Fat Boy, then saw the Sport Glide across the show room, and I was sold.
still have my Ducati 848 for the spirited riding days, but looking forward to cruising and enjoying the miles on the new softail.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:40 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Make it sound like a Haaarley and you wont be sory

Originally Posted by texas30
Love everything about my Heritage except for the fact that it sounds like a scooter and changing anything voids.......
Just put a set of Rinhart slip-on's on Cherry, my '18 Heritage 107 after a Stage 1 upgrade and tune. Now it sounds like a Harley and not a scooter. Not exteramly loud (my preference anyway) but a real nice deep throaty sound.

Keeping the OEM pipes just in case it had to back to the shop for any major (W) work. it's is only a few bolts to make the change.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Make it sound like a Haaarley and you wont be sorry

Originally Posted by texas30
Love everything about my Heritage except for the fact that it sounds like a scooter and changing anything voids.......
Just put a set of Rinhart slip-on's on Cherry, my '18 Heritage 107 after a Stage 1 upgrade and tune. Now it sounds like a Harley and not a scooter. Not exteramly loud (my preference anyway) but a real nice deep throaty sound.

Keeping the OEM pipes just in case it had to back to the shop for any major (W) work. it's is only a few bolts to make the change.

texas30 (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Jetsfatboy
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe what Harley is doing works in attracting new customers. My cousin and I have just bought into the new models, him a 2018 FatBob and me a 2018 FatBoy 114 engine both. I had a BM K1300R, beautiful bike, powerful and agile, but I am looking at longer rides and mostly weekends outings and the new FatBoy just called my name.

I guess the strategy is working !

Old 03-18-2018, 11:04 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I rode an 07 Street Glide with 96k miles which had several upgrades over the years. Racetech fork internals w progressive stock height springs with a custom fork brace (the brace helped stability significantly), Ohlin's 13.25" rear shock from motorcycle metal and a bagger brace to tie in the rear suspension. I was a bagger guy all the way. My wife rides a 17 Street 750. I told her if Harley made a bigger version of that bike, I'd be all over it. I rode the 18 114 Fat Bob and was amazed at how well it rode and handled. I rode the 114 Heritage and was shocked at how close the handling performance was to the Fat Bob. That rode test haunted me. Was I willing to give up on the touring platform with the greater cargo capacity and the loss of my stereo? What about the protection of the batwing fairing? The answer to both was an emphatic yes! The bike is lighter, it performs better in every aspect. If I need more cargo capacity, the T-bag on the rack and backrest'll do it. I have a blue tooth headset in my helmet for the tunes and the windshield does a fine job for wind protection. On the highway, it's a great cruise with its very effective cruise control. In the twisties, it's no contest. It's far more stable and the cornering capabilities for this cruiser/light touring bike is damned impressive. Any buyers remorse or longing for the ride I traded in? Not in the slightest. If you don't want one of these new softails, I have a word of advice, DON'T RIDE ONE. That's what caused my downfall.

SgtThump (03-18-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 AM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

In keeping with the OP's question -- I'm sort of a brand-switcher because of the '18 Softail, but not exactly like most folks.

I had always had Hondas before, an intermittent Yamaha or Suzuki but generally Hondas. After an extended break from riding, I got back into it about three years ago. Was dead-set on getting a Honda NC700X, but found a ridiculously smoking deal on a new 2015 Street 750 ($4499). Couldn't pass that up. But I outgrew it quickly and was ready to get rid of it after a year; held onto it for two. Was absolutely guaranteed certain I was going to get a big touring bike, either the new BMW K1600B or the revamped Honda Gold Wing. Not a doubt in my mind.

Until I saw the '18 Fat Bob. That thing won me over in a heartbeat, and I made an offer on it that very night.

So, if it wasn't for the '18 Softail, I would have switched brands again. The Fat Bob kept me from switching away.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 03-19-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Gautam99
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fxfb

I have been riding for the past year and my first bike was the triumph street twin. I just got the new fxfb yesterday after two test rides and it’s super. I loved the looks of traditional Harley’s like the slim but it’s not sold in india - so it tried the street bob and the fat bob - the fxfb was just easy easy easy to ride - and great presence. I still retain my triumph and enjoy both bikes. I also like the look of the FXFB very much. I think Harley designers did a great job with balance and center of gravity on the new softails and I like that they made a future call on one of the bikes in the range.

though it’s not the reason for purchase, no one gave a second look to the Bonnie, but I have to be extra careful in traffic on the FXFB.

Originally Posted by upwgdrb
So who came from another brand/ style of bike because of the new Softail?
What did you switch from? What ar3 your thoughts good and bad so far?

Quick Reply: Who Switched Brands Because of new 2018 Softail