Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Switched Brands Because of new 2018 Softail

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:51 PM
upwgdrb
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who Switched Brands Because of new 2018 Softail

So who came from another brand/ style of bike because of the new Softail?
What did you switch from? What ar3 your thoughts good and bad so far?

Old 10-22-2017, 09:13 PM
Mr_C
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Brand new Harley owner here. I honestly never thought I would own a Harley till I looked at the 2018 Fatboy, Breakout, and SGS. Took a look in person and sold my new Triumph T120 to buy the Fatboy. This bike has been everything I've been waiting for in a bike and is almost like an art piece in person with the mix of chrome, satin, and machined surfaces. Plus honestly, for my first fat tire bike I really don't get the turning concerns as I think it does great.

The following 5 users liked this post by Mr_C:
02603SEC (10-24-2017), bbissell (03-17-2018), lh4x4 (03-16-2018), SgtThump (03-17-2018), upwgdrb (10-23-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM
yankees1996
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I am with you !

Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

I'm a little different than your question...

I love my Evo and '09 Dyna. I was getting frustrated with my '16 Road King however. Power was nice, but heat was a problem and overall character of the motor was lacking. I was starting to feel that the only Harleys I'd consider buying anymore were Evos (or earlier), 96" TC, or any Sporty....a newer Harley was probably never to be again for me (except a Sporty)...

I did not expect to like the '18 when I rode it. It took 3 tries, but?eventually it convinced me that the new motor has a future in my garage. Over 2600 miles so far and it's only gotten better with break in.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thingfish:
lh4x4 (03-16-2018), upwgdrb (10-23-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 11:41 PM
zrdstr3
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I retired last month and sold my 16 CVO Street Glide, only room for 1 bike on a fixed income. Rode my Ducati Monster 1200 to Biketoberfest on Thursday to check out the new Fatboy in person. I did not like the pics on line, thought is was ugly. Well I was surprised how much I liked it in person and I took it for a test ride and really enjoyed it. Friday I got up to ride to Daytona again but couldn't stop thinking about that Fatboy and how much my Ducati hurt my ***. I got online and checked my local dealer and they had 1 18 in industrial gray so I went to the dealership and took it for a test ride and bought it, trading my 2014 Ducati Monster 1200. I've owned baggers since 2001 and never thought I'd end up on a softail. Still getting used to no windshield and the bike is way quiet but I am very pleased so far. I will probably change the pipes soon, don't want it real loud but I want to hear it a little .I haven't rode a softail since 2007 when I sold my late wife's 2003 Fatboy. This new one handles and rides so much better.

The following users liked this post:
upwgdrb (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:23 AM
upwgdrb
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zrdstr3
I retired last month and sold my 16 CVO Street Glide, only room for 1 bike on a fixed income. Rode my Ducati Monster 1200 to Biketoberfest on Thursday to check out the new Fatboy in person. I did not like the pics on line, thought is was ugly. Well I was surprised how much I liked it in person and I took it for a test ride and really enjoyed it. Friday I got up to ride to Daytona again but couldn't stop thinking about that Fatboy and how much my Ducati hurt my ***. I got online and checked my local dealer and they had 1 18 in industrial gray so I went to the dealership and took it for a test ride and bought it, trading my 2014 Ducati Monster 1200. I've owned baggers since 2001 and never thought I'd end up on a softail. Still getting used to no windshield and the bike is way quiet but I am very pleased so far. I will probably change the pipes soon, don't want it real loud but I want to hear it a little .I haven't rode a softail since 2007 when I sold my late wife's 2003 Fatboy. This new one handles and rides so much better.
That’s very interesting. I am looking for a second bike and one that I am strongly considering is the Ducati Supersport. Something about these new Softails I really like. Do you miss the technology you had on the Monster?

Old 10-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Stephen Woodruffe
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve moved brands, currently have a bmw k1300r until Thursday, then it’s a fxfbs.
its a huge change, the beemer is indecently fast, handles well (road or track)and has all the toys.

tbh, I’m slowing down (the BM was my move from jap and euro sports bikes) and thought this would be perfect, no technology to go wrong and plenty of possible ways to let out my inner engineer in the future. really surprised how well it handled, the gear box wasn’t as bad as I was expecting and it makes you feel special when you rid it. Thursday can’t come fast enough, just hope I get some nice weather before the roads are covered in salt!
A cam and drilling out the baffles are my first calls. A 2:1 stainless exhaust next year when all the options are out.

The following users liked this post:
upwgdrb (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:36 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by upwgdrb
That’s very interesting. I am looking for a second bike and one that I am strongly considering is the Ducati Supersport. Something about these new Softails I really like. Do you miss the technology you had on the Monster?
We currently have a Monster 1200 in the garage. It's a lot of fun to ride, but technology is the last thing on my mind when riding it or a Harley.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

I switched to a 2017 Heritage and got the best of the "old"!

Old 10-23-2017, 10:52 AM
zrdstr3
Intermediate
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I never really used the different ride modes on the Monster, I just left it on sport. Until I rode the Fatboy I was seriously considering trading for a Ducati Supersport S.

Quick Reply: Who Switched Brands Because of new 2018 Softail