Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Windshield Coming For My 2018 Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 388 Likes on 372 Posts
Default New Windshield Coming For My 2018 Heritage Classic

As the temps start to drop here in Tennessee, I find the stock windshield a bit lacking in wind protection for my height. Also, the OEM shield is typical for setting up more buffeting at freeway speeds, but I do like the overall look with the blacked out lower half of the windshield. So, I gave John Lauk at Freedom Shields a call and he is making one of his "curved" windshields at the proper height for me...no surprise there. However, I told him I wanted to retain the blacked out lower half of the OEM windshield and he agreed to duplicate the "look" on the new windshield. It should be ready to ship to me in about a week.

For those not familiar with the 2018 Heritage windshield with the blacked out lower half, I've posted a photo.

Attached Thumbnails New Windshield Coming For My 2018 Heritage Classic-img_0463.jpg  

Last edited by Northernproducer; 10-24-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: typo
The following 5 users liked this post by Northernproducer:
kb_jag (10-27-2017), Marks628 (11-12-2017), smellsbad2 (12-16-2017), The White Pearl (06-30-2018), tx freebird (09-10-2018)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:24 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 455 Likes on 263 Posts

I'm interested in getting a recurve shield as well. Buffeting is fine with no helmet, but as soon as you throw one on, you're going to have some head shake.

The following users liked this post:
kb_jag (10-27-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Yep...buffeting is going to happen to some degree, but the recurve helps a lot. Check with John at Freedom Shields to see how he can help...especially with you want to keep that blacked out lower half on your shield. Enjoy your new ride!

The following 2 users liked this post by Northernproducer:
Gizmo83 (10-24-2017), The White Pearl (06-30-2018)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:04 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernproducer
As the temps start to drop here in Tennessee, I find the stock windshield a bit lacking in wind protection for my height. Also, the OEM shield is typical for setting up more buffeting at freeway speeds, but I do like the overall look with the blacked out lower half of the windshield. So, I gave John Lauk at Freedom Shields a call and he is making one of his "curved" windshields at the proper height for me...no surprise there. However, I told him I wanted to retain the blacked out lower half of the OEM windshield and he agreed to duplicate the "look" on the new windshield. It should be ready to ship to me in about a week.

For those not familiar with the 2018 Heritage windshield with the blacked out lower half, I've posted a photo.
So how did this turn out?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
So how did this turn out?
The Freedom Shield was just delivered Friday and I will install it as soon as possible and post how it worked out. Stay tuned...

The following users liked this post:
Thingfish (11-05-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Mattiesettlement
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's great. Waiting patiently...

Old 11-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mattiesettlement
That's great. Waiting patiently...
I hope to get the bike back from the dealer this week as it sets there waiting for the "correct" electrical connection kit they need to install the heated grips (part of the deal). I found out today that H-D listed the wrong connection kit p/n for the 2018 Softail's and the dealer had to resolve that with H-D after discovering the kit they received did not work. So, the bike sets at the dealership with the tank off waiting for the connection kit (should be here this week)...I'll get the new windshield on as soon as I get the bike home, and post a quick review and pic's.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Not good news today...I discovered that the Freedom Windshield I received does not fit my 2018 Heritage Classic. I suspect the one they sent me was for the pre-2018 models as the holes did not line up and the shape of the lower section was incorrectly angled. They are closed today...Veteran's Day. So I sent them a message and now I'll have to wait to see how Freedom Shield reacts to this problem. I'll post an update, but caution 2018 Softail owners about ordering this part until there is a fix.

The following 2 users liked this post by Northernproducer:
The White Pearl (06-30-2018), Thingfish (11-12-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 09:26 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,152 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by Northernproducer
Not good news today...I discovered that the Freedom Windshield I received does not fit my 2018 Heritage Classic. I suspect the one they sent me was for the pre-2018 models as the holes did not line up and the shape of the lower section was incorrectly angled. They are closed today...Veteran's Day. So I sent them a message and now I'll have to wait to see how Freedom Shield reacts to this problem. I'll post an update, but caution 2018 Softail owners about ordering this part until there is a fix.
You going to add the fork deflectors/fangs to address the wind/air coming from the bottom side?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Northernproducer
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
You going to add the fork deflectors/fangs to address the wind/air coming from the bottom side?
Not sure...I'll have to get the windshield issue solved and see how much buffeting I get then. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the "corn picker" deflectors, but will consider them if it becomes necessary.

Quick Reply: New Windshield Coming For My 2018 Heritage Classic