Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the Sport Glide yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
MidlifeCrisisHD
Cruiser
Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

I rode one yesterday at the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach. I was able to ride it back to back against a Heritage, Deluxe, and Road King. I have to say the Sport Glide felt more nimble than those others. I'm a tall guy so I like the forward controls. I had it up to 65 mph, and the fairing was worthless. All it did was concentrate all the wind directly into the middle of my chest.

I think it would be a great commuter bike with its combination of handling and small but functional bags.

My opinion is that it's overpriced, as it's right in line with the Heritage and Road King, and it feels like you're getting less bike for the money.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:40 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I sat on one yesterday and was almost instantly repulsed.. i think it was the dash/console but, thats petty.... not sure what caused the feeling but, it looks great in person. Top quality and the big ole headlight is double bolted to the trees. Fat front tire looks good. I'll fiit a test ride in at somepoint.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:00 PM
redharley
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasguzlr
Anyway, like I said, I’ll probably leave the cowling off most of the time. The headlight is really bright from what I could see on the sales floor. Nice looking piece too... bike looks great without the little faring.

I’ll be changing a few things, like the grips and pegs, etc, haven’t decided yet, but I have 5 months to get it sorted.

Cheers

R
congrats, my silver will be here in feb,wonder what fllor boards will fit?
regards
Mike

Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice bike i saw that color at my dealer and really liked it! Enjoy it

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Gasguzlr
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
But what is the target for this bike? Dyna buyers perhaps?
To me it looks like a bike someone who wants to own a bagger but doesn't have the cash. I dunno, maybe I'm way off.
Or, for someone like me, who already HAS a bagger (2017 CVO StreetGlide) and wants a second bike... a simpler, more stripped bike... but doesn’t want to completely give up the utility, when needed.

Cheers

R

Old 11-20-2017, 09:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

To me it looks like a bike someone who wants to own a bagger but doesn't have the cash. I dunno, maybe I'm way off.
Or someone like me, I have a King, but the weight in parking lot maneuvers is getting hard on my legs. I don't do much overnight rides anymore. I would love a lighter bike I could have a little bit of both worlds on.

The following users liked this post:
triumph900 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:21 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

For me it’s the lighter weight compared to the Road King for example. The Touring bikes are just to big and heavy for my taste.

GPHDXLC (11-20-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

I rode the wife's softail minus the windshield on the freeway for about an hour straight. Looked in the mirror at 85mph and I resembled my bulldog with his head stuck out the window.

I'll keep the RG, you guys without windshields, more power to ya.

GPHDXLC (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 02:36 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Tomorrow Wednesday I'm going to take my first look at a Sport Glide in black, not the color I would get but I got to see and set on one. My son and my brother plus a friend are going with me. My brother wants a Road Glide, I haven't told him about the sumping and the oil transfer problems yet.
I don't feel the Softails will transfer because of the cable clutch, but not 100% sure. I'm not to concerned about the sumping because I would never go over a stage-2. I'm going to stay cool and try to wait till the 19s come out buy then I will know for sure if the Softails transfer or not. I have not heard of one doing it yet, might need more time for it to show up on a new Softail.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:58 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I rode a Sport Glide yesterday. I really like it. I almost wonder if I would have bought my Fatbob if the SG was available. I probably would have gone with FB, but now I am seriously trying to figure out how to swing a SG.

I was really surprised how well the 107 ran. I don’t know what I expected, but I didn’t notice a whole lot of difference compared to the 114. In fact, the 107 felt smoother than my 114. The only issue for me is the handlebar. It’s a bit to forward and flat. The sales guy pointed out the Fatboy bar is slightly higher and back, so that could be the answer.

Overall though, a really nice and impressive motorcycle.

GPHDXLC (11-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Saw the Sport Glide yesterday