Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2018 Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 455 Likes on 263 Posts
Default My 2018 Heritage Classic

Cliffnotes version -- Had a few bikes in the past, been on hiatus since 2010 and now own a 2018 Heritage Classic. Here are some pictures.

I'm finally getting around to posting a few pictures of my new bike. A little history-- started with a 2004 V-Rod at age 21, then a 2005 Victory Vegas Jackpot, a 2008 Anniversary V-Rod, a 2009 Yamaha Raider, a 2010 H-D Road Glide Custom and finally this 2018 Heritage.

I started looking heavily at bikes again a couple years ago thinking I wanted a Street Glide, then changing my mind to a Road King Special but dragging my feet because I wasn't in love with any of the bikes to be honest. I always thought the "old" Heritage was the best bike for me practically speaking because most of my riding is around town with a few poker runs thrown in. I wanted something comfortable and practical first and foremost, but I also wanted something cool and somewhat sporty while still paying homage to traditional HD styling. I didn't like the concho, studded, lighted fender look of the "old" Heritage so I always assumed I would end up with a Fat Boy and add all the Heritage comfort and convenience pieces, but I knew that was going to be expensive, so more foot dragging.

Unfortunately, my father was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer that had spread to his brain back in May of this year. I normally share all my exciting motorcycle and car purchases with him. It was because of him, after all, that I love anything loud, fast or pretty. He was initially given a year or two to live, which was a massive slap in the face. As it turns out, that would have been a blessing as he passed on August 9th after a short but brave battle with the cancer. I put the bike purchase on the back burner because I lost all interest while trying to make my dad as comfortable as possible and because it seemed selfish to think about a motorcycle with my dad's very life in the balance. To make matters worse, I was struggling with having to juggle the hardest thing I've ever had to endure and witness with the thing that has brought me more pleasure than anything else in my now 16 month old daughter. The ebb and flow of that situation was and continues to be the hardest thing I've ever gone through. I can't explain how sad it was to see my dad withering away after only getting to know his first and only grandchild for one year, much of which was spent in the hospital. I am also sad that this is the first major purchase I've not been able to share with him, or bounce ideas off him or make sure he thinks I'm getting a good deal.

Anyways, when the 2018 Softails came out and I saw what they had done with the Heritage, I knew that was the bike I had been waiting for. I decided I wanted a 114" in Vivid Black. There was one within 250 miles for what seems like a month. I work full time and can't get away easily so I thought I would just wait until the "local" dealership got one in. I say "local" because it's 130 miles away. They got a 114" Red Iron Denim Heritage in but I just couldn't bring myself to like the color so the waiting game continued. In the mean time, they advertised doing some demo rides one weekend so a buddy and I headed there in hopes of getting to ride the Softails they did have in stock and some Touring bikes.

When we get to the dealership, I see a silver fortune Heritage in the demo ride line up. I immediately walk up to it and check to see if it's a 114. Bummer, it's not, but at least there's one there for me to ride to see how the suspension and fitment works out. We hop on, me on the Heritage and a buddy on the new Fat Bob and it took about ten seconds to realize two things-- the bike ticked all the boxes and the 107 is no slouch. The $1500 or whatever it is in savings was a bonus, too. The bike already had Street Cannons installed and I was the first customer to ride it so I felt comfortable with this particular bike.

We got back from the demo ride and I sit down with the salesman. We go back and forth and finally strike a deal on the bike. They didn't come off price a whole lot, but I did get lots of accessories and a helmet thrown in. As I'm signing papers, someone from the service department pops his head in and says congrats and casually mentions the bike is now showing a check engine light. It was getting late and I didn't want to ride home in the dark 130 miles so they cleared the code, said it was no big deal and off I went (my mistake). Got several miles down the road and the light pops back up. Bike is running fine, the dealership is closed by now so I ride on home.

Lots of back and forth with the salesman and service manager later, the owner of the dealership agrees to come to my house 130 miles away and pick the bike up as I did not feel comfortable riding it with the check engine light illuminated. They had it for 2 weeks. Replaced a knock sensor to no avail. Next they replaced the entire ECM and the problem has been solved. He delivered the bike back to my driveway in an enclosed trailer and here we are now, too cold out to ride.

The day I bought it-- the first 2018 Softail the dealership sold:
My 2018 Heritage Classic-zqrstma.jpg

The dreaded code:
My 2018 Heritage Classic-dbogz1e.jpg

Back at the dealer:
My 2018 Heritage Classic-yer8pqd.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-fnsc6ty.jpg

Back home:
My 2018 Heritage Classic-s3vpoqo.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-ieg0j4v.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-qu3q37u.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-ke5lwcu.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-2mckm2y.jpg

My 2018 Heritage Classic-fj1vkci.jpg

On the Wish List:
LED turn signal inserts
Ventilator/tuner/Rinehart slipons
Rider backrest
Tour Pak
LED smoked layback tail light
Warm weather and lots of gear

The following 2 users liked this post by Gizmo83:
A1A (03-23-2018), duckf5 (02-11-2021)
Old 12-17-2017, 03:55 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Congrats on getting the best bike ever. I've just got 5000 miles on mine (today). I love this bike more than any other, it's so easy to ride (and fast).

The following 4 users liked this post by uklauren:
A1A (04-13-2018), DeeRides (12-18-2017), duckf5 (02-11-2021), Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Powergod
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry for your loss, hope the bike brings a smile to your face!

The following users liked this post:
Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:09 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

great looking bike ! i'd rather have silver than black anyday . wear a white half helmet and sit up straight as you ride down the highway and watch people pull out of your way because they think you're a cop

Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:10 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Congrats on the new bike. Looks great in that color.

Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 04:29 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry about your Dad. Congrats on the new young lady in your life as well as the Harley. What license tag bracket do you have? Much better looking than stock.

Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 05:05 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Ditto

Wow, what a story.

First, Real sorry to hear about your dad, you may see a few of my post referring to my heritage and my father as well. It's a very weird thing to have a bike that makes me feel like my dad is with me. More so than any other bike in the past. No comparison.

2nd. Your bike looks GREAT! Love the addition of the highway bars and lay down plate. Black is great, but I'd say you ended up with a real winner there.

Hope you get some time to enjoy it and recall some of the many good times with your father.

Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 455 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Sorry about your Dad. Congrats on the new young lady in your life as well as the Harley. What license tag bracket do you have? Much better looking than stock.
Thanks, much appreciated. The license plate bracket is a Kuryakyn part. Super easy to install and I think it makes a big difference in looks.

Originally Posted by kb_jag
Wow, what a story.

First, Real sorry to hear about your dad, you may see a few of my post referring to my heritage and my father as well. It's a very weird thing to have a bike that makes me feel like my dad is with me. More so than any other bike in the past. No comparison.

2nd. Your bike looks GREAT! Love the addition of the highway bars and lay down plate. Black is great, but I'd say you ended up with a real winner there.

Hope you get some time to enjoy it and recall some of the many good times with your father.
Thank you. It is both an awful and a great feeling at the same time having to take a ride on the bike to spend time with Dad, as you certainly know. I'm really liking the color combo on yours. Great choice!

Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 776 Likes on 499 Posts

Real sorry to hear the story of your fathers passing. Cancer's a bitch. You've a beautiful bike congrats.

Gizmo83 (12-17-2017)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Big Mule
Road Master
Received 771 Likes on 381 Posts

Very sorry to hear of your loss. It took me a long time to heal. But same as you I always think of him when I’m out riding.

Your bike is sweet. If I decide to upgrade the Heritage is what I will get also.

Gizmo83 (12-18-2017)

Quick Reply: My 2018 Heritage Classic