Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage vs 2018 Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 PM
texas30
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts
Question 2018 Heritage vs 2018 Fat Boy

Hello everyone. Newbie from Texas here. The title says it all. I am so torn between the two. Rode both today. Both are the 115 Anniversary w/ the 114, and I can get either for the same OTD price.

They are both amazing bikes. Yes, the Heritage will out maneuver the Fat Boy but I could see me spending all day on either. I also know the other advantages of the Heritage. cruise control, windscreen, bags. I would without a doubt at the cruise and a detachable screen to the fat boy... and I would get a set of detachable bags for trips and get a swing arm bag for day to day.

With the performance the comes with either, in some ways it comes down to looks. In person, both bikes are sick but I don't care for the spoke wheels or the narrow rear tire on the Heritage. On the other hand, I love the look of the rear of the Fat Boy.

A little about me: Just turned 50. Rode & raced motocross for over 35yrs. I took the riders education course to finally get my endorsement and was asked if I'd like to become an instructor when I retire. Not bragging, just making the point that I understand (as I'm sure many other here do) how to ride a motorcycle.

There is a topic on this already, with some great info but what and whom I would like to hear from are the people who have bought and own either the 18 Heritage or the 2018 Fat boy and your thoughts so far.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...r-fat-boy.html

Thanks in advance, so glad I found this place.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:58 AM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Tough call.

It sounds like you need someone to push you over the edge to buy the Fatty. You know the pros and cons, and admit to the superior attributes of the Heritage, but you love the look of Mr. Muscle. If you haven't had a Fatty yet, you may just need to scratch that itch before you can be satisfied with anything else. Imposing bike, that is now very competent. Seems like buying the Fatty you would not regret it. I've ridden it plenty, and I think it's great, but I bought the Heritage.

The new Heritage not only attracts nostalgic buyers, it also attracts quite a few full circle buyers. We've had the choppers,bobber, fattys, street glides, road kings and ultras. Wide tired bikes , raked out front ends,batwings and baggers. And then we return to the Heritage. Now light and nimble, makes no apologies for using a rear tire combo that works really really well, arguable better than anything else in the line up, and comes complete with all the things you buy to get the Fatty etc up to speed for some touring. Heritage also has the taller shock with more travel. By the time I added up all the options I would put on any other bike, made it pretty hard to go past the Heritage. No doubt about it thought. The Fatboy is an Iconic gorgeous bike. If you havent seen the thread on here with the red 2018 Fatboy with the Apes and two into 1, that would surely tip the scales. I don't know how many times you can say stunning about that bike. Probably once each time you walk around it again and again and again. Top job there.

Good luck with the journey, I value the shopping, anticipation and buying as much as the purchase and subsequent rides. Enjoy it !

The following users liked this post:
texas30 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 12:08 PM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I have had 3 Fat Boys (2005, 2010, 2017) and loved them. When the 18's came out I was going to get another but did not like the satin finish. I also looked at the Heritage but did not like the blacked out engine and wheels so I got the Deluxe for a little less and put a nice windshield on and have saddlebags on order. I just like the chrome look with the white wall tires but to each their own. I hope you are happy with your decision. Between the two I would prefer the Fat Boy with a windshield and bags.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:18 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought a new '18 Heritage 114 in September, replacing a '12 Fat Boy Lo. First, let me say, I never thought I'd get rid of that Fat Boy! It fit me perfectly, not only for comfort but for the way I ride. Over the years I had added a Stage 2, V&H Pro Pipes, Power Commander II, and 200mm rear tire. Quite alot of effort and money was spent powder coating various parts to get rid of most of the chrome. I definitely was NOT looking for a new bike.

Fast forward to a good friend trading in her Fat Bob for the new Heritage. I went by the dealership to see it when she picked it up. Nice bike, liked the blacked out look but that's all it was...just a nice bike. Then I took it for a spin around the parking lot. That's all it took! I bought one 4 days later and haven't regretted it. Other than the 114 engine, which is amazing, is it had everything I would have had to add on another Fat Boy. QR Windshield, bags, hi flow air intake, already blacked out, etc. The only things I knew I'd eventually replace is those ugly chrome pipes and the spoke wheels. Those changes will come this next year.

The difference in the ride is amazing. Compared to the Heritage, the Fat Boy was a sluggy rock! The lighter weight did take some getting used to, the front end felt a little squirrely at first, I wasn't used to a nimble bike! I've been told alot of that is because of the narrower tires on the Heritage, compared to the 200mm rear tire on the Lo. I do miss the look of that fat rear tire! Although it's almost 1" taller than the Lo, I still feel like I sit IN the bike, not on top of it. It has that same low center of gravity the Lo had. After about 4000 miles I'm totally comfortable with it and would definitely do it again.

Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,228 Likes on 1,267 Posts

I don't fit your criteria, as I bought a Fat Bob instead of the bikes you're debating between, but I would advise you this: go with your heart, the ultimate goal is to make you happy, right? Yes you might spend more to get the Fat Boy up to the specs of the Heritage, but the memories and feelings will stick with you long after the sting of the bill is forgotten.

Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

That is a tough choice for sure. I really like my fatboy and you can add the cruise control no problem. I like the look way more of the fatboy and i i have no issues with it in the turns. The new suspension is amazing. You are really going to have to decide what you like best.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:54 PM
RockyMtnRG
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Nice Deluxe!

M8_Softails...the nostalgic look typically isn't my preference (I have a 114 Fatbob), but your Deluxe is a truly beautiful bike! Well done.

EDIT: I just saw in your sig that you also have a Fatbob... very nice M8 combo! I can't see trading my touring bike for another softail, but if I didn't do long trips, I'd probably double down like you did. The new Softail frames are excellent.

Last edited by RockyMtnRG; 12-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
M8_Softails (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I own a 2018 Fatbob, and I’ve ridden the Heritage. The Heritage is very nice, and I thought it handled very well. I suggest you ride them back to back. While the Fatboy is nice, I’d be leery of the large (heavy) wheels. I’m no fan of spoked wheels, but I think I’d rather have spokes than the solid wheels.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:21 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Either is a winner. I rode all of them and out of the box the FB felt the best for me.
You list all of the pluses for the Heritage but then a couple dis-likes. If they're that close I'd say which one 'speaks to you most' and/or 'fits best'.
And finally, what a nice problem to have

texas30 (12-22-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 03:22 PM
M8_Softails
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtnRG
M8_Softails...the nostalgic look typically isn't my preference (I have a 114 Fatbob), but your Deluxe is a truly beautiful bike! Well done.

EDIT: I just saw in your sig that you also have a Fatbob... very nice M8 combo! I can't see trading my touring bike for another softail, but if I didn't do long trips, I'd probably double down like you did. The new Softail frames are excellent.
Thanks I like the fun combo I have...
I always thought the Heritage was pretty nostalgic looking too. Sounds like you would like the Fat Boy best.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage vs 2018 Fat Boy