Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 2017/18 Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Default New 2017/18 Paint

Posted this under the M8 Section, but as that seems to be largely dominated
by engine and or warranty issues, I thought I would see if it gets much traction here.

Just thought I would throw it out there, to see if anyone is feeling a bit the same.

The fuel tank paint on the Evo's from 90-99 was some of the most robust and well developed paint systems I have noted on a vehicle. None of my factory TC's seem to have the same depth, or been as resistant to scrathes, swirls, or chipping as the old Evos. I pretty much thought the days of great paint were well in the past. Sure some looked great,fantastic even (had a merlo sun glow on the SG) but just didnt seem to hold up the same or have that depth

I suppose time will tell, but the two tone paint on Olive, seems to be on par with what I experienced in the mid 90s.

So who else has a 2018 M8 two tone paint,or any other color, and can compare it with a two tone paint job from the Evo era bikes (I sort of exclude the vivid black, as that always seems to be a bit softer to me, but still, you get the idea).

What do you rekon ? Has the paint returned to its former glory, or at least gotten better ?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I’ve owned a ‘15 Sportster 48 in Hard Candy Cancun Blue, a ‘17 FLS in Red Iron Denim, and a ‘18 Deluxe in Electric Blue. ALL of the finishes on my bike have been stellar, IMO. It’s one of the things Harley does extremely well.

The following users liked this post:
kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 PM
b407driver
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep in mind that the paint itself and the techniques used to apply it have changed drastically over the years. The EPA has changed the landscape of paint formulation and chemicals used in it's manufacture and application. Harley still has great paint compared to others.

kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 PM
kb_jag
Tourer

Originally Posted by b407driver
Keep in mind that the paint itself and the techniques used to apply it have changed drastically over the years. The EPA has changed the landscape of paint formulation and chemicals used in it's manufacture and application. Harley still has great paint compared to others.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

it's nice till you get that first ding. i love the color of my bike too, but it's just paint. How many things do we have to have in our lives till we realize what's really important and what's not. enjoy your bike, but more importantly enjoy your life.

kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:15 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

My paint on my 00 has been pretty good
the wife's 03 also

I do like your tank emblems!!!

kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM
kb_jag
Tourer
Default thanks heaps.

done emblems on a few of my bikes. I redid the backing plate on Olive twice just because it was a few mills off. now she's perfect. for me anyway

Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 PM
TC ConceptsLLC
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful Bike!!!! So I paint for a few Harley Dealer ships Full time and the one thing that I have noticed is that the only changes that Harley has implicated or put into action is, now days they are using
silk screening for tank logos instead of decals. Mainly on Sporties and in some cases for pinstriping.. As Im exposed to new bikes on a day in and day out basis I have noticed that the Orange peel of the
final clearcoat seems to be more prevalent.. But other then that their paint process hasn't changed for many many years... Harley prides it self in putting out some of the best finishes around on a production scale..
You will only see this attention to detail from high end cars.. But never on a FORD GM CHRYSLER or an Jap brand vechicle

kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:20 PM
TeaRunner
Road Master
Received 212 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TC ConceptsLLC
Beautiful Bike!!!! So I paint for a few Harley Dealer ships Full time and the one thing that I have noticed is that the only changes that Harley has implicated or put into action is, now days they are using
silk screening for tank logos instead of decals. Mainly on Sporties and in some cases for pinstriping.. As Im exposed to new bikes on a day in and day out basis I have noticed that the Orange peel of the
final clearcoat seems to be more prevalent.. But other then that their paint process hasn't changed for many many years... Harley prides it self in putting out some of the best finishes around on a production scale..
You will only see this attention to detail from high end cars.. But never on a FORD GM CHRYSLER or an Jap brand vechicle
Looks like the silk screens are just for certain paint sets. In my 13 softail parts book, the emblem page shows all the Softail emblems from that year. Also shows 2 different silk screens and the only paint sets they came on for the softails.

kb_jag (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 10:05 PM
smellsbad2
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In a recent video I saw from the HD museum, there is a shot of tanks mounted on wall that shows just how many beautiful paint schemes have come and gone. I think Beloved Olive is one of my favorite. Outstanding! I love Anniversary Blue/Black as well. The paint and pinstriping on both bikes are Great. I will say the clear coat has separated from the vivid black on my 09 near the gas cap and I have always had a bit of wrinkle look on the back of my front fender so I can only hope the quality has improved before my next purchase. Awesome bike KB

kb_jag (01-13-2018)

Quick Reply: New 2017/18 Paint