Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aks 2014 Daytona Blue Slim

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Coming along nicely. I also like the blue. Mine is Vivid Black but I really like your blue.
kk

Old 03-19-2018, 10:17 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks @moparnut72 appreciate it!

spent saturday eve with my father in law in the garage installing the new bars i got for the Slim. Scored a set of HD Fatboy 1 1/4" chubby bars and 4" risers to match for a steal of a price. was a pain un-installingthe hollywood bars and un-wiring them, then re-wiring them into the new bars. a major issue i came across was that the factory over tightened the riser bolts to the original risers causing the bolts to strip the aluminum while i was wrenching them out. took alot of strength, frustration, hours, inventing cuss words and having to walk away from it and coming back to get them off. i ended up having to buy new bolts for the new risers.

had to get 3" long bolts with 1/2-13 thread bolts in case anyone needs to do the same in the future. can order em online or find them at your local autoparts or hardware store.

having to get the pins out of the terminal quick disconnect and re-wire them so i could pull em through the bars was the worst! took 3 hours to figure it out

but the outcome is amazing. i feel more comfortable, its easier for my legs to reach the brake pedal now and no more crossbar on my handlebars.

Last edited by AK883xl; 03-19-2018 at 10:25 AM. Reason: added information
Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain

also took my time cleaning, sanding and painting the rear phantom bolt covers gloss black. gave them a light spray every half hour to an hour letting the enamel dry smooth until they were fully painted. going to add about 2 more coats and gloss them. now to get the mounting hardware for them

Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,799 Likes on 3,032 Posts

Thanks for sharing enjoyed the mods and the explanations of them as well Coming together nicely. Good luck with it Im sure it will provide you with a ton of smiles with miles . Keep us posted on new mods.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:11 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain

thanks Torky! today the memphis shades slim windshield came in the mail at work and it took me literally 5 minutes to install. the difference on the highway is night and day. before i was fighting wind against my chest and pulling my head and neck back. with the windshield the only buffeting i have is from up underneath me. the air puffs up my shirt but thats about it. i recommend it for anyone doing long rides or frequently on the highway at speeds of 70 and up.

peeled off that sticker

now to get it home and paint all the silver/ chrome on it black

Old 03-26-2018, 04:14 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

"now to get it home and paint all the silver/ chrome on it black"...Welcome to the club! I've many hours spraying my chrome/silver parts black.

Looks good!

Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM
imjuslazy
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

the blue in the headlight bucket has to go. just looks cheap imo. Would look much better black.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:11 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by imjuslazy
the blue in the headlight bucket has to go. just looks cheap imo. Would look much better black.
thanks for your opinion... ill change it black when you buy me one lol i expected it to be a closer blue to the bike when ordering it but for now i like it. may change it out later on if it really bothers me

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

again....nice work...I may wrap my slider covers until I get around to swapping them an the lowers out...I relocated my turn signals to the forks an changed bars, my experience with taking the connector apart didn't go so smooth. I think I'll just cut em if I do it again

Old 03-28-2018, 10:49 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain

Originally Posted by langwilliams
again....nice work...I may wrap my slider covers until I get around to swapping them an the lowers out...I relocated my turn signals to the forks an changed bars, my experience with taking the connector apart didn't go so smooth. I think I'll just cut em if I do it again

yea man both the wrap and re-wiring projects took A LOT of patience and frustration lol i may relocate the signals or get small LED ones later on. cant wait to see what yours comes out like

Quick Reply: Aks 2014 Daytona Blue Slim